What's new

Universal to release "Brotherhood of the Wolf"(director's cut) on 8/26/2008 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Joe
Finally, Universal is giving [special edition] treatment to this movie.
Can't wait to buy it.

Source: dvdactive.com (Sorry.... I can't post link yet)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
The following is what I own:
  • R1 CE Canada - (TVA Distribution)
  • Extras:
    DISC ONE
    * The Film
    Commentaries:
    Audio commentary by director Christophe Gans [French Language, no subtitles].
    Audio commentary by actors Samuel Le Bihan and Vincent Cassel [French Language, no subtitles].

DISC TWO
    "The Making Of: The Brotherhood Of The Wolf - The Guts of the Beast" - documentary (78 mins)
    "The Legend" Interview with naturalist Michel Louis about the actual Beast of Gevaudan
    6 Deleted Scenes (with introduction by the director)
    Filmographies
    Theatrical Trailer
    DVD-ROM Content:
    - Weblinks
    - Press Files

DISC THREE
    "Behind The Scenes" - documentary (78 mins)
    12 Storyboard Sequences
    Photo Album
    DVD-ROM Content:
    - Screenplay
    Booklet with production notes
  • Subtitles:
    English and French
  • Aspect Ratio:
    2.35:1
  • Picture Format:
    Anamorphic
  • TV System:
    NTSC
  • Soundtrack(s):
    French DTS 5.1
    French Dolby Digital 5.1
    English Dolby Digital 5.1
  • Case type:
    Special Case
  • Notes:
    This is a Limited Edition DVD, and available in two different version, one in English and the other in French text, including booklet. All extras apart from the audio commentaries in French with optional English subtitles.
  • Easter eggs:
    Easter Egg 1: On Disc 1 on the Main Menu, press Up to make a symbol appear on the altar under the wolf. Select it to see the DVD credits. You will see them in either English or French, depending on your menu choice.
    Easter Egg 2: On Disc 2 & 3 on the Main Menu, press Up to highlight the title. Select it to see the DVD credits. You will see them in either English or French, depending on your menu choice.
So unless Universal can top that, no thanks. Oh, I own the English cover/booklet version of the Canadian 3-Disc Collector's Edition.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Ray, I heard that the Canadian version is a PAL-NTSC conversion, and as such suffers from PAL speedup and combing artifacts. Can you confirm?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ That is true, it's PAL->NTSC (very very common with TVA for European transfers they license). The U.S. version is not.

However, as you can see above, and also the Canadian 1-disc has it: dts which the U.S. version doesn't have. It is a significantly better track than the Dolby one on the same disc...if you care about that.

Edit: oh, I should emphasize the dts is French only, so you may have to use subtitles. I watch foreign films that way instead of dubbed, but I realise many don't. My French isn't so great, but I only needed the subs the first time, it's not very complicated...

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
It has very slight edge-enhancement but the original French audio does sound superb with the DTS track enabled. The TVA 3-Disc Collector's Edition I own is one of my all-time favourite DVD purchases. Literally one of my Holy Grails as it were for my collection. I highly recommend it.
Only thing I didn't really like about it are the case is a three-disc Alphapak and the commentaries aren't subbed in English. I still have the original case/cover stashed away but I'm using an Amaray 3-Disc case. I never really sat down and watched the extras yet, dunno why, but I skimmed through them and they're well put together.
It's the only Canadian DVD I own in my collection. I truly and honestly enjoy this film.:D

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The English Canadian 3-discer is still available for an IMO reasonable price *in Canada* ($17-24).

I can see the PAL->NTSC artifacts in some instances (I mean when the disc is running, very obvious when paused) though it is not IMO nearly as obvious as in another "famous" TVA-in-Canada film transferred this way: The Pianist. I am not the slightest bit bothered by the PAL speedup though, that happens only when I already know the music from elsewhere.

I am going to watch BotW tonight, I love it when the forum picks a title for me...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Pretty decent film. I wish they would redo the dogdy CGI. I mean, it was bad looking when the film originally came out. I haven't seen it in years....could it be like Hercules early season cgi?

Anyway, I've had a desire to see this again for the parts that are good. Excellent look that reminds me of Plunkett & McClaine, a film that needs a new release too.

I'll probably buy this release. :emoji_thumbsup:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I hadn't watched it for about a year. This could be a great-looking BD, I would definitely get it then. The audio could potentially be smokin too.

Yeah, the CGI wolf is kinda clunky compared to the rest of the film. Not so much in looks considering how the "wolf" was created, but in its movement...budget limitations, don't think much could be done now except redoing that part. Would probably look even worse in hi-def compared to how good the rest would look...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
There was some controversy over the transfer being below grade as they tried to cram too much onto disc one and picture bitrate was compromised,
plus any conversion issues.

The Universal set at the time was noted as being very good

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes indeed. I happen to have the French HD DVD (still available through Amazon/Fr, now less than €10 + shipping; it is French with English subtitles, "Le pacte des Loups""; note that the PAL/NTSC issue plays no role on HD DVD) and it's a very nice transfer. Remarkbly, it is 1080p and has a DTS HD Master track (which, unfortunately, I have not been able to fully enjoy yet, caused by the lack of a decoder).

The BD therefore should be excellent as well. The existence of the HD DVD tells me it will arrive one day!

Cees

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's a shame they can't reshoot those scenes. Well, even An American Werewolf in London has aged, particularly the final scenes. But that film is still awesome because I've become forgiving with old school effects. I'll have to do the same thing with old school CGI. :) This film is worth it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too have the import 3 disc version and that will tide me over until Universal releases a BD version. I don't feel the need to double dip on DVD for this one since the 3 disc version was so good.

It's been a while since I've watched this, might have to pop it in sometime in the near future. Nothing like seeing the Iron Chef America chairman kick some a$$ :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks