What's new

Universal To Celebrate 100 Years in 2012 (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
yea i know, its odd that way as to the ownership of titles, but the fact remains that even though i have the silver screen collection of Marx Brothers, i still think of them as Paramount titles, the fact that is driven home, as that Universal was good enough to leave that intro on each one, really that could be a joint venture for some great films from both studios celebrating the 100 mark, and i agree that site sucks, trying to navagate, just make it workable would have made it better.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Yeah, the site is the most cumbersome thing I've seen on the 'net in quite a while, but once I cut through the crap and got to the list, it got interesting.

First off, the news looks VERY good for the Universal Monsters. Granted, we have a lot of NA, but that they are listed means something is brewing and I am very optimistic. What I would hope is while we'll get the high profiles (Drac, Frank, Wolf Man, Phantom, Creature of the Black Lagoon, Mummy, etc) on blu, I hope the sequels are also considered for some sort of special release too. Yeah, I know the Legacy Collections are out there and cheap, but why not get them out in HD format too?

Odd inclusions on the list too. I mean, really, Bridesmaids and Despicable Me? I may be turning into a curmudgeon here but you cannot tell me there are not some Universal vault titles that do not deserve a look over too.

THRILLED about titles like The Jerk and Earthquake. 'Quake was a given, I suppose, but nice to see a nod to The Jerk. Terribly underrated comedy IMHO.

I could go on and on about what I like, what I don't and what raised my eyebrows. Just enough to say I am impressed. The only thing "missing" from the list that I would want is a decent feature length doc on the history of Universal. We got a classic for MGM with When The Lion Roars and You Must Remember This is great for Warner Brothers, but I would really hope both Universal and Paramount will take the time to put their origins and history into doc format for us all to enjoy.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Glad to see some Paramount classics in the pipeline. The silents remain a mystery--do they intend on releasing those themselves or are they merely marketing PD films from their heritage? It's almost too much to hope for those given top-drawer treatment from Universal.
However, that website gives no indication as to what will be given Blu-ray treatment or just a DVD re-release + digital copy. I expect around 15% of that list, at most, to be on blu-ray in 2012 and the rest merely to be in shiny new repackaged Wal-Mart discs.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/240#post_3890193
Glad to see some Paramount classics in the pipeline. The silents remain a mystery--do they intend on releasing those themselves or are they merely marketing PD films from their heritage? It's almost too much to hope for those given top-drawer treatment from Universal.
However, that website gives no indication as to what will be given Blu-ray treatment or just a DVD re-release + digital copy. I expect around 15% of that list, at most, to be on blu-ray in 2012 and the rest merely to be in shiny new repackaged Wal-Mart discs.
I would say actually closer to 70% of the list will be on blu. In the last refresh of the evergreens two weeks ago, I only recall two or three titles (Jesus Christ Superstar, Touch of Evil and Coal Miner's Daughter) that got DVDs only and all of those were repacked with digital copies.

I think it will be whatever they can reasonably get on blu-ray without too much fuss will get on blu. I have some faith here.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Would be nice to see the Uni-controlled Hammers get rolled out too. Maybe Hammer worked something out with them on their trip to LA recently?

Real Name
Anthony
MattPeriolat said:
I would say actually closer to 70% of the list will be on blu. In the last refresh of the evergreens two weeks ago, I only recall two or three titles (Jesus Christ Superstar, Touch of Evil and Coal Miner's Daughter) that got DVDs only and all of those were repacked with digital copies.
I think it will be whatever they can reasonably get on blu-ray without too much fuss will get on blu. I have some faith here.
Really? TOUCH OF EVIL was just released in the UK on Blu so I wouldn't have thought it too much of a stretch.
I've got to say, whilst I'm obviously pleased with many of their announcements, I'm disappointed that it seems likely we won't see HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER in HD, and that there's no mention of Eastwood's other movies or of several Hitchcock titles like MARNIE and REAR WINDOW; or that they're not remastering SPARTACUS. If none of that's happening, I don't hold out much hope for the lesser-known titles.
I know we can't have everything but this seems like such a prime time to get all that stuff out there. WB are releasing at least 50 catalogue titles this year and Criterion release 5 or 6 every month.Both Paramount and Universal are making a big noise about matching 25 percent of that output.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Anthony Neilson /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/240#post_3890401
or that they're not remastering SPARTACUS.
Most likely going to get a Criterion release in the next year or two (along with Brazil).

Real Name
Anthony
There's no evidence for that, is there? The only hint I've heard is from that pic of a written schedule which may have said "SPARTACUS?" on it (few mention the question mark).
RAH sounds pretty gloomy about the prospect, saying it would be very expensive for a boutique label; and the more Uni keep re-releasing it, the more whittled down that profit margin will get.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Anthony Neilson /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/240#post_3890728
There's no evidence for that, is there? The only hint I've heard is from that pic of a written schedule which may have said "SPARTACUS?" on it (few mention the question mark).
RAH sounds pretty gloomy about the prospect, saying it would be very expensive for a boutique label; and the more Uni keep re-releasing it, the more whittled down that profit margin will get.
Rumors I have heard is that there will be no Criterion Blu-ray. In other news I had the opportunity to check out To Kill a Mockingbird for just a few minutes and I was very pleased with what I saw in that limited time. I will be placing a pre-order at Amazon.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Whichever fool designed the Universal 100th web site should be should be summarily fired. It is so busy trying to be razzle-dazzle that it fails any test of usefulness. I gave up after 20 minutes of trying to find out what films would actually be released.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/240#post_3891105
Whichever fool designed the Universal 100th web site should be should be summarily fired. It is so busy trying to be razzle-dazzle that it fails any test of usefulness. I gave up after 20 minutes of trying to find out what films would actually be released.
You lasted 15 min longer than I did...

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/240#post_3891106
You lasted 15 min longer than I did...
Insane way to promote their efforts, really.

Rule of thumb: click on the button in the upper right, it'll take you straight to the lists and save you some gray hairs.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
MattPeriolat said:
Rule of thumb: click on the button in the upper right, it'll take you straight to the lists and save you some gray hairs.
Or you could just type what your looking for in the search.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
MattPeriolat said:
That actually worked, but the list is borderline useless. No release dates, no info on if there's a blu-ray release. Lots of TBA and NA with no info as to what that means. Does NA mean, as we New Yorkers say, "fuhgettaboutit"?

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
Looks like a pretty solid list for the most part. I'm most interested in the monster flicks, Double Indemnity on blu, and hopefully Going My Way on blu-ray as well.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/240#post_3891201
That actually worked, but the list is borderline useless. No release dates, no info on if there's a blu-ray release. Lots of TBA and NA with no info as to what that means. Does NA mean, as we New Yorkers say, "fuhgettaboutit"?
NA means "Not Available" currently. Seems Universal has pulled a lot of evergreens back for rebranding and re-release for the 100th anniversary. But yes, unless you have some foreknowledge of some of the reissues, the list is painful.

Trust me, Paramount's iPad app is just as bad. They have poster art up for a LOT of movies, but it's not clear if they are planning to reissues any or all of them for their 100th anniversary or not. It's also complicated by some of those Paramount issues are being handled by Universal for their 100th. If you do not know who has the rights to what, confusion abounds.

For the record, here is what is out as of right now and in what format under the Universal 100 banner:

- Jesus Christ Superstar (DVD/Digital)
- Apollo 13 (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Do The Right Thing (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Ray (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Billy Elliot (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Coal Miner's Daughter (DVD/Digital)
- The Bourne Identity (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- The Bourne Supremacy (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- The Bourne Ultimatum (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Mamma Mia! (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Touch of Evil (DVD/Digital)
- Brokeback Mountain (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Field of Dreams (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- The Imitation of Life 1934/1959 (DVD/Digital)
- The 40-Year Old Virgin (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- 8 Mile (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- American Graffiti (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- The Breakfast Club (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Babe (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Waterworld (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Inglorious Basterds (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Seabiscuit (Blu/DVD)
- A Beautiful Mind (Blu/DVD)
- Schindler's List (DVD) (Note: this is NOT the only release of Schindler's List due and I highly suggest you save your money)

Be aware some of these movies are available in more than one combination, but those are the primary ones I could locate.

And of course we have To Kill a Mockingbird (Blu/DVD/Digital) on the 31st of Jan. and All Quiet on the Western Front (Blu/DVD/Digital) on Feb. 14.

Seems Universal is doing another wave on March 6, according to Amazon, so here is a quick(?) rundown on that:

- Harvey (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- The Blues Brothers (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Out of Africa (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Despicable Me (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Sullivan's Travels (DVD)
- The Jerk (DVD/Digital)
- Charade (DVD/Digital)
- My Man Godfrey (DVD)
- The Nutty Professor (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Meet the Parents (Blu/DVD)
- The Deer Hunter (Blu/DVD)
- The Last Temptation of Christ (DVD)
- Three Smart Girls (DVD)
- Destry Rides Again (DVD/Digital)
- Parenthood (Blu/DVD/Digital)
- Francis the Talking Mule (DVD)
- The Egg and I (DVD)
- Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (DVD/Digital)
- Car Wash (DVD/Digital)

And there you have it. Oh, I did omit a LOT of package sets Universal is putting out, but virtually all of them are movies you can get individually and in higher quality if you wish.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Not quite. It was previously released as an "extra" with the lame remake The Truth About Charlie.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Worth said:
Not quite. It was previously released as an "extra" with the lame remake The Truth About Charlie.
Charade is in the public domain due to a copyright notice error. Universal's policy has been to not show much love to PD titles.
Criterion licensed it and did a terrific job with a DVD followed with a recent Blu-ray.
I am not sure that I blame Universal too much for its policy about PD titles although Warners has shown them a bit of love (especially the PD MGM titles such as Royal Wedding and Til the Clouds Roll By).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks