What's new

Universal -- THANK you for Sliders and Quantum Leap on DVD! And a suggestion... (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the pending release of Sliders and Quantum Leap on DVD later this year/early next year. I am thrilled that you have decided to jump on the band wagon of TV On DVD! Now, I have only one suggestion for the DVD releases:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do SEASON box sets instead of "Best of" sets. It would really be awesome to have all episodes of Quantum Leap and Sliders (unedited, of course) on DVD (even though seasons 3 - 5 of Sliders after Torme` left were rather mediocre in quality). Pretty please, with sugar on top? That would be so awesome. If you can do that I'll buy two of each! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Here's another plea for SEASON SETS. I would buy every Quantum Leap Season Set. I probably wouldn't buy a Best Of package.

Bruce

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I look forward to season sets of Quantum Leap, Emergency, and--possibly--Dragnet, Battlestar and Magnum, P.I., but I wouldn't mind best-ofs being available as well (a la Baretta). Best of both worlds for your customers, I say--as long as the sales support it, of course. That way, if I'm not sure about investing in a series, I can buy the "sampler" and give it a shot.
After that, think about the A-Team, Airwolf and Leave it to Beaver. Not too soon, though. My wallet's already in shock as it is. :D

Andy_MT

Second Unit
please tell me universal aren't releasing "best of" sets. hasn't anybody learnt anything from warners' mistakes (south park, friends) ?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Andy, I'll be bitterly disappointed if I'm proven wrong, but I am confident these are going to be season boxes. If I caused confusion with my Baretta comment, let me clarify: Universal is releasing the entire first season of Baretta, but a best-of will be available as well. I think that's a potentially good idea, as it'll allow for sampling of shows one might not want in their entirety. The only danger I can see is that the best-ofs would sell better than the season sets, and we'd be in trouble for shows we do want. But, I don't think we'd be seeing all of this movement to release season sets if they weren't doing well for their respective companies.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am all for SEASON SETS ONLY for Sliders, Quantum Leap, Battlestar Galactica and Emergency. I already have Law & Order on order.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Here's something not everybody can promise: Quantum Leap season sets will be purchased by me two at a time.

One for me and the missus to enjoy, one for my mom.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't have that beat, Robert, but there's a pretty good chance my sister will buy a DVD player just to play Quantum Leap. So, that's possibly two copies for my family, too. :)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Greg_S_H wrote:
Or, the alternative consumer. I hope DVD fans of Sliders (as well as the others) get what they want in full-season sets. However, for me there is no possibility of ever buying such sets. There's just not sufficient interest and such sets are just too expensive for the "casual observer". I personally found this show to be a mostly washed-out, "easy", "alternate-earth" excuse of a "science-fiction" program. Only one aspect of the show did I ever find really interesting and that was the fascinating "Kromagg" thread, the stuff of really spooky, really good sf.
I would be quite interested in having a set featuring all the "Kromagg" episodes boxed together. That's about the level of my interest.
I feel the same way about The Simpsons, which had a good start, but which went downhill to mediocrity relatively fast. (Too many "rock-star" guest voices of celebrities impersonating themselves.) I would love to have the complete collection of their Halloween specials, which are really funny and rather consistently inventive. But that's it for me.
So, there is indeed a market out there for specialized collections of tv shows, especially among those of us who are neither rich enough nor zany enough to even want every episode of every tv series ever broadcast.
Hopefully, these kinds of offerings don't have to be totally mutually exclusive of each other.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
"As sure as my name is Boris Karloff, DVD box sets of my classic horror/suspense anthology series would be a THRILLER!"
I definitely support Derek's suggestion, Universal!
Also:
* ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (1955-62, with tv on DVD all the rage now, how about freeing those classic Hitchcock-directed episodes from those expensive & redundant movie box sets of a couple of years back, as well as all those other great episodes, like "Man From the South" with Steve McQueen & Peter Lorre, that aren't on DVD yet?)
* THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65)
* SUSPICION (1957, short-lived filmed hour suspense anthology, by the "HITCHCOCK PRESENTS" crew, including the excellent Hitchcock-directed episode, "Four O'Clock", starring E.G. Marshall)
* M-SQUAD (1957-60, Lee Marvin's half-hour DRAGNET-esque police series, a major inspiration for the satirical POLICE SQUAD! tv series and NAKED GUN films)
* LEAVE IT TO BEAVER (1955-62)
* KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER (1974)
--and thanks much for giving DRAGNET the DVD nod!

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I would be quite interested in having a set featuring all the "Kromagg" episodes boxed together. That's about the level of my interest.
I think that would really suck. As far as Kromaggs are concerned, Tracy Torme`'s version was the only definitive version of the Kromaggs. That would make for a very light box set! David Peckinpah (who came onto the show in late season 3 -- where it started to get really bad) changed the idea to incorporate cliche`'d Naziism. I don't think I'd pick up such a set.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Sliders is my #1 favorite Sci-Fi show, has and always will be, I love every episode. I'd love season boxsets, or even would buy volume by volume sets, like Andromeda and Farscape by ADV, whatever, just release them!
Since everyone is saying that season 4 and 5 are much worse, plus the cast changed considerably, I'll be recording reruns of these 2 seasons on sci-fi channel to DVD-R in case they don't make it to DVD.
But I think first 3 seasons are almost guaranteed, so many fans of this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks