What's new

UNIVERSAL: Thank You For Cape Fear (1991)!!! (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
KUDOS TO UNIVERSAL!!!
Thank you Universal for doing a great job on the DVD of Cape Fear! This release was done right! It consists of pretty much everything one could want:
1) Beautiful Anamorphic Transfer (THX Approved)
2) Nice DTS Soundtrack
3) A 2 Disc set, with disc 2 being extras (including a great documentary on the Making of Cape Fear)
4) Nice packaging- same size as a single disc case, for two discs (using a hinge for one of the discs).
5) Reasonably priced for a two disc set with good supplements!
THANKS UNIVERSAL! KEEP IT UP!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Yes! Thank you!
I haven't even looked at it yet (still shipping from Amazon) but I am excited to look through it, and I've always liked the film...
And very nicely priced too!
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Nate,
You are gonna like it. A great, great presentation from Universal.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I agree completly. I wonderful transfer for a great film. However, I don't think it's THX certified. Granted, it does have the THX Optimizer on it, but I could find no traces of it being mastered at THX. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I wonderful transfer for a great film. However, I don't think it's THX certified. Granted, it does have the THX Optimizer on it, but I could find no traces of it being mastered at THX. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong.
Good question. I may have jumped the gun on my assumption that it was THX approved. The cover makes reference to the THX Optimizer. But, the THX trailer plays prior to the movie. Would this trailer play if the transfer was not THX approved? Seems a bit confusing. I don't recall if prior to the THX trailer it said "mastered for optimal video and audio quality" (or whatever their usual language is).

Luis A

Second Unit
Thanks Universal! Cape Fear is dvd done right the first time.Great transfer and DTS too. :)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I agree. In fact, I want to thank Universal for their entire wave of thriller releases that came out on 9/18. I picked up both versions of Cape Fear and Blood Simple. Others have already commented on the 1991 version of Cape Fear. I wanted to add that the DVD for the 1962 version of Cape Fear was also a treat for the fans of this version. The black-and-white picture is clean and detailed with no visible flaws. It is framed in its OAR (1.85:1) and anamorphic too. The making-of documentary was a really cool bonus. Blood Simple was a barebones disc, but you really have to blame the Coen Brothers for that. Universal's presentation of this movie was very good. I can't really comment on American Werewolf or Play Misty For Me but the reviews for these discs were favorable as well. Good job, Universal !
[Edited last by Deepak Shenoy on September 24, 2001 at 05:39 PM]

Ben_J_L

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, its good news that Cape Fear has been finally released, I only hope the UK R2 disk has DTS on it as well...

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to add that the DVD for the 1962 version of Cape Fear was also a treat for the fans of this version. The black-and-white picture is clean and detailed with no visible flaws. It is framed in its OAR (1.85:1) and anamorphic too. The making-of documentary was a really cool bonus.
Can you check if the Cape Fear 1962 version has English Subtitles on the documentary. That would push it into the "buy" category for me. The 1991 version did subtitle all the extras (including Deleted Scenes and Documenrary).

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Mikah,
Unfortunately the documentary on the 1962 Cape Fear doesn't appear to be subtitled. I am not sure if it is encoded for close captioning. I would recommend picking up the disc unless the lack of subtitles really prevents you from enjoying the documentary.

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing I think it needs to be "perfect" would have been a commentary and a chapter search on the documentary. I love mine too though.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
You guys were right...the disc was wonderful.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I think it needs to be "perfect" would have been a commentary and a chapter search on the documentary. I love mine too though.
A chapter search on the Documentary would have been nice considering its length, but that is a very minor complaint considering how good this package is overall.
As far as a commentary, I have become less and less of a fan of these. Of course I LOVE Scorsese, so it would have been interesting, but I would much rather have a good quality "making of" documentary than a commentary track. The Documentary of Cape Fear is one of the best I have seen!
Also, Scorsese doesn't really have a lot of extra time on his hands! I would rather he work on a new movie (Gangs of New York) than do a commentary!
Anyway, thanks again Universal for a GREAT DVD!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
As for the commentary, I seem to be of the position of "One or the other." I actually seem to lean towards good solid behind the scenes documentries, like what you'd fine on the Speilberg discs.
Both is too repeditive in my humble opinion.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks