What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (2 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Personally, I have no issue with buying the same season sets again.

So for some shows which I already had some of the previous individual season sets, I have purchased the complete series set where more than half of the discs are identical to the previous ones I already have.

For example stuff like Charlie's Angels, Columbo, House MD, etc ...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On the other side of the coin).

I understand that some individuals are highly reluctant or will outright refuse to buy the same discs they already have, especially if it was originally purchased at sky high prices back in the day (circa 2000s decade).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Personally, I have no issue with buying the same season sets again.

So for some shows which I already had some of the previous individual season sets, I have purchased the complete series set where more than half of the discs are identical to the previous ones I already have.

For example stuff like Charlie's Angels, Columbo, House MD, etc ...

I'd been considering replacing all my copies of the original seasonal releases of Hart to Hart (Sony/Shout!) w/Shout!'s all-in-one, but have not so done.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Not that too many people here probably care about this, but I've noticed that the complete series of "Earth 2" appears to have gone out of print since the set is only being offered by third party sellers on Amazon. Hopefully Universal is planning a single sided disc reissue.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Not that too many people here probably care about this, but I've noticed that the complete series of "Earth 2" appears to have gone out of print since the set is only being offered by third party sellers on Amazon. Hopefully Universal is planning a single sided disc reissue.

Don't sell that info short. That does interest me, as does the complete run of seaQuest. One box for Earth 2, get the episode order right and give it to me for a good price. Ditto for seaQuest AND get the third season out. Complete series for $50. Sold, day 1.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the case of Seaquest and Earth2, the question is whether Universal is lazy enough to just replicate the four flipper disc faces into single-sided discs with very little to no reauthoring. In such a lazy scenario, these would 8-disc sets with three episodes per disc.

The other scenario is Universal reauthoring these sets entirely, as six single-sided discs sets with four episodes per disc. In the end, it probably boils down to how much the cost savings will be for doing an extensive reauthoring.

The only recent precedents of similar extensive reauthoring of an old four-disc flipper set being entirely reauthored into a six single-sided discs set, would be something like the recently re-released Kung-Fu seasons 2 and 3 sets (Warner) and Bones season 1 (Fox).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Pipe dream here...but if the cost savings occurs simultaneously with including S3 (a reason for fans to actually buy the set again), that would be ideal. I don't even need new value added material. Just the whole series, in order. Single sided discs. It won't sell gangbusters, but I can't imagine any of the other re-released sets are, either. And these are continuing to come out at a fairly decent clip.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I actually looked up Seaquest Seasons 1 and 2 right after I checked on Earth 2, and both are still being offered new from Amazon for around $25 per season. I also wish we would finally see an official region 1 release for Season 3, hopefully they will get around to it eventually.

In terms of 90s series, Universal DID reissue American Gothic on single sided discs right around the same time that they did the reissue for Kolchak, so I guess that could be considered a good sign for Earth 2 to get reissued.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Don't sell that info short. That does interest me, as does the complete run of seaQuest. One box for Earth 2, get the episode order right and give it to me for a good price. Ditto for seaQuest AND get the third season out. Complete series for $50. Sold, day 1.

Jason:

I am right there with you! I would buy complete series releases of Earth 2 and SeaQuest on single-sided DVDs in a heartbeat.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
There are quite a few re-releases upcoming from Universal & WB in February and March, so I thought I would put everything together in a list:

UNIVERSAL

February 13

Adam-12 Season 1
Dragnet 1967 Season 1
Quincy, M.E. Season 1

March 13
Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 1
Amazing Stories Season 1

March 27
Emergency! Seasons 2
Emergency! Seasons 3
Emergency! Seasons 4
Emergency! Seasons 5
Emergency! Seasons 6

WARNER BROTHERS

January 9
ER Seasons 1-3 combo pack
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Seasons 1-3 combo pack
Dukes of Hazzard Seasons 1-3 combo pack
Night Court Seasons 1-3 combo pack

January 17

The West Wing Season 1
The West Wing Season 2

February 13
Full House Seasons 1-4 combo pack
Growing Pains Seasons 1&2 combo pack
The Waltons Seasons 1-4 combo pack

The Flintstones Complete Series
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! Complete Series

March 6

Dallas Seasons 1&2
Dallas Season 3
Dallas Season 4
Dallas Season 5
Dallas Season 6
Dallas Season 7
Dallas Season 8
Dallas Season 9
Dallas Season 10
Dallas Season 11
Dallas Season 12
Dallas Season 13
Dallas Season 14

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
March 6
Dallas Seasons 1&2
Dallas Season 3
Dallas Season 4
Dallas Season 5
Dallas Season 6
Dallas Season 7
Dallas Season 8
Dallas Season 9
Dallas Season 10
Dallas Season 11
Dallas Season 12
Dallas Season 13
Dallas Season 14

Are you saying by this that all of O-R CBS Dallas from 1978-91 will come out on singles on that date?

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
There are quite a few re-releases upcoming from Universal & WB in February and March, so I thought I would put everything together in a list:

UNIVERSAL

February 13

Adam-13 Season 1
Dragnet 1967 Season 1
Quincy, M.E. Season 1

March 13
Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 1
Amazing Stories Season 1

March 27
Emergency! Seasons 2
Emergency! Seasons 3
Emergency! Seasons 4
Emergency! Seasons 5
Emergency! Seasons 6

WARNER BROTHERS

January 9
ER Seasons 1-3 combo pack
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Seasons 1-3 combo pack
Dukes of Hazzard Seasons 1-3 combo pack
Night Court Seasons 1-3 combo pack

January 17

The West Wing Season 1
The West Wing Season 2

February 13
Full House Seasons 1-4 combo pack
Growing Pains Seasons 1&2 combo pack
The Waltons Seasons 1-4 combo pack

The Flintstones Complete Series
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! Complete Series

March 6

Dallas Seasons 1&2
Dallas Season 3
Dallas Season 4
Dallas Season 5
Dallas Season 6
Dallas Season 7
Dallas Season 8
Dallas Season 9
Dallas Season 10
Dallas Season 11
Dallas Season 12
Dallas Season 13
Dallas Season 14

The Amazing Stories Season 1 re-release coming March 13th is an odd choice for Universal considering that the original Season 1 release from 2006 was also on 4 single-sided discs just like this re-release. The only thing that has changed appears to be the box/packaging as well the wording change from "The Complete First Season" on the original set to "Season One" on the re-release..

I hope this is a sign that Universal may finally be releasing the complete second season so fans can own the complete series on DVD (which I have been waiting to do since I bought the first season back in 2006).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Amazing Stories Season 1 re-release coming March 13th is an odd choice for Universal considering that the original Season 1 release from 2006 was also on 4 single-sided discs just like this re-release.

The only semi-plausible explanation for this particular re-release, is most likely the old 2006 version's inventory has run out.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'm going to have a good size box of DVD flippers to take to HPB this week. I received my Season 1 set of Kojak today. Now it's time to unload Season 1 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents,Dragnet and my first 11 seasons of Dallas. Got rid of my old Dukes Of Hazard sets before Christmas. My sister has my Quincy Seasons 1 and 2. I'll let her keep it and pick up Quincy again for myself. I wonder why there is no listing for Season 2 of Quincy?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In terms of 90s series, Universal DID reissue American Gothic on single sided discs right around the same time that they did the reissue for Kolchak, so I guess that could be considered a good sign for Earth 2 to get reissued.

Another candidate for possible re-release from that time period, would be Cleopatra 2525. Most likely Universal will just repress the old flipper disc faces into a 5 disc set.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I wonder why there is no listing for Season 2 of Quincy?

Good question.

Most likely the same reasons why McCloud season 2 has not been re-released yet as single-sided discs. (The McCloud combined seasons 1+2 was originally released as a three double-sided flipper discs set back in August 2005).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
A single-sided Dallas release would be one of my most wanted sets of all-time! I had several issues with those flippers, more so than any other series (with the possible exception of Season 1 of Dragnet). Can't wait to watch the entire series again!

Something I'm wondering (and I'm not sure whether or not I asked this): will these new upcoming O-R Dallas releases be in keepcases?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks