What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (2 Viewers)

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
i was hoping that v the series would come out on single sided dvd. the flipper discs had problems.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Which is why I'm glad to have a multi-region DVD player and imported the above season from Amazon UK, which has thankfully single-sided DVDs. (Along with the already-mentioned S1 of Bones.)

In the case of Bones, the lazy-ass scenario of a Bones complete series set is Fox just putting all the previously released twelve individual dvd season sets into a giant box. Similar to what was done for some Fox complete series sets, such as: Burn Notice, Angel, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Futurama, etc ...

On a related note, I'm also very happy to replace all the double-sided Remington Steele US sets with the sets sold from the German Amazon store. All seasons are single sided there.

I ended up taking the lazy way out, and just purchased second copies of all four Remington Steele flipper dvd sets for around $5 a pop. (ie. They were already dump bin fodder). They're just backup copies in case my first copies go bad in storage. (I also purchased second copies of other shows not yet re-released on single-sided discs in america, like the original Dallas and Dukes of Hazzard).

Fortunately my second copies didn't have any bad sectors when I checked them on the computer.

For any double-sided flipper disc, these days I only watch them on the computer connected to my large screen tv. Unless a particular flipper disc has bad sectors due to extremely shoddy manufacturing, then most of the time a computer dvd drive is somewhat smarter at reading flipper discs error-free than standalone dvd (or bluray) players.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In the case of Bones, the lazy-ass scenario of a Bones complete series set is Fox just putting all the previously released twelve individual dvd season sets into a giant box. Similar to what was done for some Fox complete series sets, such as: Burn Notice, Angel, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Futurama, etc ...

They did it also for Murder, She Wrote: all 12 seasons' worth of that one (1984-96) in a big box.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Which is why I'm glad to have a multi-region DVD player and imported the above season from Amazon UK, which has thankfully single-sided DVDs. (Along with the already-mentioned S1 of Bones.) Funny how other countries get better quality releases (in some cases) than we do domestically.

On a related note, I'm also very happy to replace all the double-sided Remington Steele US sets with the sets sold from the German Amazon store. All seasons are single sided there.

Are the Remington Steele sets Region 2 only as the website says?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I checked the back of the box of one of my sets and, at the bottom [in German, of course], it says "Landercode 2", so I assume that is the region code, so it would seem so.

The only way to know definitively which region(s) a particular dvd disc is locked to, is to read the disc on the computer with one of those "grey market" ripper programs (which won't be mentioned here). Such programs will say immediately.

Some dvd discs are actually locked onto more than one region.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Updated shrinking list).

List of Universal flipper disc season sets which have not been re-released yet as single-sided discs.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - seasons 2 and 5

Law & Order Criminal Intent - season 3

Las Vegas - seasons 1 and 2

Quincy, M.E. - seasons 1/2

Adam-12 - season 1

Dragnet 1967 - season 1

Baa Baa Black Sheep - volume 1

Seaquest DSV - season 1

Cleopatra 2525 - Complete Series (2000)

Earth 2 - The Complete Series

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - season 1. (Released as single-sided discs in australia, but not in america).

McCloud - seasons 1/2. (This was re-released overseas, but not in america).

Airwolf - season 1. (Only re-released by Mill Creek, which might have compression-hell issues).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hopefully this is a prelude to a possible Kojak complete series set, released by Shout Factory.

(Hypothetically). If this ^ is possibly the case, then hopefully Universal will also re-release the first seasons of Adam-12, Dragnet 1967, and Quincy ME as single-sided discs. All the subsequent seasons of these three shows have already been released by Shout Factory several years ago. (ie. Possible complete series sets for Adam-12, Dragnet 1967, and Quincy ME).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Currently, I just assume that Fox and Warner have largely "washed their hands" of their previous double-sided flipper discs tv season sets. (ie. They don't give a damn anymore).

About the only way we'll ever see single-sided discs re-releases of such Fox or Warner flipper sets, is if somebody else re-releases them (ie. Madman, Shout Factory, etc ...).

Two Fox flipper tv season sets which might have a good chance of being re-released as single-sided discs, is possibly NYPD Blue seasons 3 and 4 if Shout Factory ever releases a complete series set. (Shout Factory released seasons 5 to 12 of NYPD Blue).

Another possible Fox flipper set could be The Big Valley season 1 being re-released as single-sided discs, if Shout Factory ever releases a complete series set. (Shout released seasons 2, 3 and 4 as single-sided discs).

The first season of Dynasty is being re-released by CBS/Paramount this coming February 2017.

Other than these four Fox flipper titles ^, I just assume Fox and Warner have already "washed their hands" of their previous double-sided flipper discs sets.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Updated shrinking list).

List of Universal flipper disc season sets which have not been re-released yet as single-sided discs.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - seasons 2 and 5

Law & Order Criminal Intent - season 3

Las Vegas - seasons 1 and 2

Baa Baa Black Sheep - volume 1

Seaquest DSV - season 1

Cleopatra 2525 - Complete Series (2000)

Earth 2 - The Complete Series

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - season 1. (Released as single-sided discs in australia, but not in america).

My guess for the rest of these outstanding titles ^, is that Universal will only re-release them when the old inventory is sold out and/or liquidated.

That is, unless Shout Factory is interested in releasing complete series sets for Law & Order: Criminal Intent and Baa Baa Black Sheep.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Currently I don't anticipate Warner and Fox ever "getting religion" in regard to their previous flipper disc sets, unless there's a huge "regime change" in the home video divisions at these movie companies.

For example such as a (hypothetical) unlikely case of a former executive of the Paramount home video division, suddenly being appointed to the home video divisions of Warner or Fox, and going the route of Paramount-style shelf-friendly low-budget complete tv series single-sided discs sets.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Great news on Kojak! I can scratch another one off my list. Now, let's get going on Dallas (hey, I can dream, can't I?)!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I picked up the Emergency complete series set.

The seasons 1 and 2 sets appear to be slightly reauthored, with the new Universal logo (ie. with "A Comcast Company") and the menus reflecting the single-sided discs. (The original versions of seasons 1 and 2 were double-sided flipper discs).

As far as I can tell, seasons 3 to 6 and post-series movies sets all appear to be just straight duplicates of the original discs released back in the mid->late 2000s. They even still have the old preview ads from that time period.

The picture quality of seasons 4 and 5 was kinda crappy looking. So most likely they didn't use any newer hd transfers for seasons 4 and 5, and possibly other seasons.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Since they appear to be on such a kick reissuing single-sided versions of tv series that that originally released on flippers, I hope Universal finally gets around to re-releasing Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season One on single-sided discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Watching through some of the Emergency! episodes, it jogged my memory where I came to the realization it was a show I use to watch with my father when I was really young. This was in the days when I was still mostly paying attention to cartoons, and not really live-action "grown up" tv shows.

(Originally I picked up the Emergency! complete series set, as another dumb irrational "impulse buy").

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Since they appear to be on such a kick reissuing single-sided versions of tv series that that originally released on flippers, I hope Universal finally gets around to re-releasing Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season One on single-sided discs.

A better question is whether Universal ever ends up releasing season 6 and 7 as pressed dvd discs, and not dvd-mod.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
A better question is whether Universal ever ends up releasing season 6 and 7 as pressed dvd discs, and not dvd-mod.

They started off Season 6 as burned DVD-R discs but then, without any notification, switched to pressed discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks