Universal Studios HD DVD titles for 11/28

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Shawn.F, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

From http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/

November 28

1) An American Werewolf in London (HD DVD/DVD Combo)

HD DVD Side: - Main Feature Presented in 1080p High Definition Widescreen 1.85:1 with Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 (English). English [SDH], French & Spanish subtitles provided.
    DVD Side: - Main Feature Presented in 480p Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1 with Dolby Digital 5.1 (English) & DTS 5.1 (English). English [SDH], French & Spanish subtitles provided.
    List of bonus materials on the HD DVD side is TBC.

2) Dune - Theatrical Cut (HD DVD)

Main Feature Presented in 1080p High Definition Widescreen 2.35:1 with Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 (English, Spanish & French). English [SDH], French & Spanish subtitles provided.
    List of bonus materials coming soon...

3) Meet The Parents (HD DVD)

Main Feature Presented in 1080p High Definition Widescreen 1.85:1 with Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 (English, Spanish & French). English [SDH], French & Spanish subtitles provided.

4) The Mummy (HD DVD)

Main Feature Presented in 1080p High Definition Widescreen 2.35:1 with Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 (English, Spanish & French). English [SDH], French & Spanish subtitles provided.

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

What about movies that will actually bring sales?

Personally I would like to see the Jurasic Park Trilogy on HD-DVD. At least that would put a cult behind HD-DVD. And not to mention I want a good transfer of the first Jurasic Park, the DVD isn't a very good transfer.

3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Jurasic Park trilogy are Spielberg films. Lucas and Spielberg are not early adopters. They wait until there is more market penetration based on the # of players sold and then cash in with more sales on release day of their films.

4. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

"The Mummy" will be a good one to get.

5. MarcoAD

MarcoAD Stunt Coordinator

In for AWIL and The Mummy.. Good stuff!!

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Which Mummy is it going to be?

7. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

I would assume the 1999 remake. At least if the 2.35:1 aspect ratio is any indication.

8. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Geez...

The titles just keep pump'n out. Looks like I'll need a loan to make it through November.

9. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

10. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

I'm disappointed that yet another catalog title gets the hybrid treatment. It makes no sense to do this, because I would imagine that if anyone wanted an SD version of this they'd just pick up the really cheap disc that's out there now. Or, in many cases, people already have it, so the SD side is worthless.

It makes sense with new releases, but not catalog titles.

11. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Agreed. This format needs people to buy these movies not be scared off by the high price on the combos. I would like to buy 16 Blocks....but no way I am paying $28 for it. Sounds picky to nit pick over about $8 bux but it does add up when you buy alot of HT stuff.

12. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

It is geared for those who don't have a HD-DVD player now, but don't want to buy the movie again once they do. It isn't a bad idea really, but it should only cost, at max, $25.

13. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I guess I hadn't really thought about which market the combos are for. That does make a little more sense.

14. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

But this really makes no sense for catalog titles. I understand why they do it on new titles, because those don't already have an SD release on the shelf right now. You can already get An American Werewolf in London or The Thing right now for about $10 probably. If either title were a regular release on HD, they'd be $20. So, that's $30 if you buy now and upgrade later, compared to just buying the combo disc at $28-30. So, really it isn't saving much money at all in my opinion.

And then, think about those who already have the SD version of the movie. They're being asked to basically buy another SD version of the movie, so, in the end, those people are paying more than they should.

15. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I agree they shouldn't do it with catalog titles, and just do it for new releases. I hope they aren't putting special features with the DVD side, but they probably are because they are just silly and like wasting space on discs, but I can't tell them what to do.

16. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

And no disc artwork, and 2 sides to look after.
    DS needs to STOP!

17. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    GREAT CHOICE for An American Werewolf in London!! One of my all-time favourites!!

...now back to the Slaughtered Lamb...

Mike

18. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I already have the SD version, and I'll be happy to ditch it when I get my combo disc. Right now I have 2 copies each (HD DVD and SD DVD) of Goodfellas, Happy Gilmore, Sleepy Hollow, Red Dragon, and Swordfish. I only have one HD DVD player, so I still want the old DVDs. I'd like to have more combo discs, if only to conserve shelf space.

19. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Universal needs to space out the blockbusters a bit also. We wouldn't want everything at once. It does seem they are making an effort to give us titles that are appealing opposed to Sony and Disney with Blu-Ray.

I have a feeling we will see MUNICH, JAWS and DUEL on HD DVD before the likes of JURRASIC, SCHINDLER'S LIST, E.T. or the BACK TO THE FUTURE trilogy.

20. Dennis Maricic

Dennis Maricic Stunt Coordinator

Love the titles choices. I'll be getting everyone of them except for Meet the Parents. Not exactly a comedy movie guy.

What has really got my attention is Dune. One of my favorite films. I already own several copies of it and am hoping that Universal has finally given it the treatment it disserves. The DVD-18 version that came out a few months ago was disappointment as I could never really get a good working copy.

Dune in HD, can't wait!

Dennis