What's new

Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection region 2 or 4 w/e the same as Region 1? (1 Viewer)

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I have a region free player, I've never use that feature, I just upgraded the firmware and the guy got rid of the regionlocks so anyway... I want buy the Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection 8 disc set and I can get it for a lot cheaper if I buy the region 4 box set it comes in a coffin(I think it's region 2 and the guy got it wrong but w/e) is this the same? Are there any differences?

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
To my knowledge, there's one major difference.

On the R1 Dracula, the alternative Spanish version that was filmed at the same time (well, not exactly the same time of course ;) ) with the same sets but with different cast & crew, is also featured on the disc.

Universal apparently didn't have the rights of the Spanish version in (some?) PAL countries, or maybe they just wanted to fit everything on a single layered disc, so the R2 and R4 (they're actually identical R2 and R4 encoded discs) versions don't have the Spanish version of Dracula.

I wanted to get Dracula, Frankenstein and Bride Of Frankenstein when the R1 set went OOP, but - in retrospect very fortunately - was only able to get a copy of Dracula at that time. :D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I have the R1 Dracula which is absolutely stunning and indeed the Spanish version seems more vibrant

:emoji_thumbsup:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The slightly annoying thing about the R2 and R4 Dracula discs, as I said before, is that the commentary track is the same as the R1, and the Spanish version is constantly alluded to.

I really can't believe Universal will re-issue the discs stripped of the extras; why do that? It doesn't make any sense.

---
So many films, so little time...

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
And one other (minor) thing, Eric:

The PAL versions (my copies are from Australia, so I don't know for sure about "European" copies) don't have inserts, the R1 dvd's do have inserts (with chapter listings)....

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Yep indeed. But I found the character of Dracula to be more "menacing" in the US version.
I agree, nothing compares to Bela Lugosi in his life defining roll. That said though, how about Renfield in the spanish version? I don't think I've seen such a psychotic over the top screaming crazy in any film that compares to the spanish Renfield!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks