1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection region 2 or 4 w/e the same as Region 1?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Emma, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

I have a region free player, I've never use that feature, I just upgraded the firmware and the guy got rid of the regionlocks so anyway... I want buy the Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection 8 disc set and I can get it for a lot cheaper if I buy the region 4 box set it comes in a coffin(I think it's region 2 and the guy got it wrong but w/e) is this the same? Are there any differences?

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

To my knowledge, there's one major difference.

On the R1 Dracula, the alternative Spanish version that was filmed at the same time (well, not exactly the same time of course [​IMG] ) with the same sets but with different cast & crew, is also featured on the disc.

Universal apparently didn't have the rights of the Spanish version in (some?) PAL countries, or maybe they just wanted to fit everything on a single layered disc, so the R2 and R4 (they're actually identical R2 and R4 encoded discs) versions don't have the Spanish version of Dracula.

I wanted to get Dracula, Frankenstein and Bride Of Frankenstein when the R1 set went OOP, but - in retrospect very fortunately - was only able to get a copy of Dracula at that time. [​IMG]

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I have the R1 Dracula which is absolutely stunning and indeed the Spanish version seems more vibrant

[​IMG]

4. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    The slightly annoying thing about the R2 and R4 Dracula discs, as I said before, is that the commentary track is the same as the R1, and the Spanish version is constantly alluded to.

I really can't believe Universal will re-issue the discs stripped of the extras; why do that? It doesn't make any sense.

---
    So many films, so little time...

5. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

6. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

And one other (minor) thing, Eric:

The PAL versions (my copies are from Australia, so I don't know for sure about "European" copies) don't have inserts, the R1 dvd's do have inserts (with chapter listings)....

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell