What's new

Universal Studios catalog titles.... (1 Viewer)

Geoff_G

Auditioning
By this point in the age of DVD's, we've seen nearly every film in the history of cinema get released on the format, evidenced by the recent release of such ultra-obscure turkeys as Mac and Me and Leonard Part 6, but one studio it seems that has vested almost no interest in releasing their film libarary on DVD in Universal. Anyone have any clue why they've been dragging their feet all these years? They ahve a whole back log of successful and less the successful films like Harry and the Hendersons and The Wizard which fans have been clamoring for for years. Any clue why Universal pays so little attention to it's film library?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As far as catalogue releases, Universal seems locked into the 1970s and 1980s.

There's a wealth of films from the 1930s, 40s, 50s and 60s that they have not tapped.

Oh sure, they've given us Universal monsters, Abbott & Costello, Ma and Pa Kettle and Francis the talking mule but what about more noir, more Preston Sturges, more Douglas Sirk, Ernst Lubitsch, Flower Drum Song, etc.

They actually seem more focused on their TV library rather than theatrical library in recent months.

Kyle Field

Auditioning
I've noticed that Universal is releasing quite a bit of bargain priced titles like Paradise Alley, DC Cab, White Palace, etc.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Universal is really picky about the Paramount films they own.

At least we got nice, but light-on-the-extras box sets for W.C. Fields, Marx Brothers, Hope and Crosby... but we're talking about nearly two decades of film!

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Universal currently seems preoccupied with its TV holdings, at the expense of its great unreleased older films, such as:

Double Indemnity
Scarface
(1932)
Hail the Conquering Hero
Lonesome
Napoleon
(1927)
Midnight
Ruggles of Red Gap
Make Way for Tomorrow
Little Man, What Now?
Man on the Flying Trapeze
Broken Flowers
Life Is Sweet
Easy Living
Remember the Night
Secret Ceremony
Hellzapoppin'
Phantom Lady
The Tarnished Angels
A Time to Love and a Time to Die
Christmas in July
The Great McGinty
The Black Cat
Shanghai Express

Given the (inexplicable) popularity of TV-on-DVD for even the crappiest shows, it's hard to fault Universal from a business standpoint, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

Only because you were willing to purchase the Scarface (1983) Deluxe Gift Set, which I'm not. The superior 1932 Howard Hawks film merits its own release (to offer it with de Palma's "remake" is akin to offering Hitchcock's Psycho only as a barebones, afterthought extra with a Deluxe Gift Set of Gus Van Sant's weak remake, IMO).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Keep in mind that Napoleon (1927, Abel Gance) is a film tied up between Universal, StudioCanal, Zoetrope Studios, Photoplay Productions/Kevin Brownlow, and the British Film Institute.

I'm not entirely sure, but the rights are basically like so:

Universal = Home video distribution rights
Zoetrope = Owns rights to 1981 American version and the Carmine Coppola score
Photoplay Productions = Not sure
StudioCanal = Seems to actually own the film (worldwide rights)
British Film Institute = seems to hold rights to footage discovered after 1981, as well as the new intertitles and tinting

I'm guessing the biggest problem is that Kevin Brownlow wants the full 5 1/2 hr. cut released, while Zoetrope only wants the 4 hr. 1981 cut.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

According to the online BIG DVD List, there have been 64,722 DVD releases in region 1. No one expects a given studio to release its entire holdings on DVD, but, eight years into the DVD era, we have a right to ask why a large number of great and popular films have yet to be released ...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I see your point, but I don't agree with the analogy, since Van Sant basically filmed Hitchcock's movie again while the same isn't true for Scarface.

Crawdaddy

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I think that Universal may POSSIBLY be the WORSE studio when it comes to the treatment of their classic film catalog imho. The excuse from 5 years ago that classics simply wouldn't be profitable on DVD is no longer credible. How is it that Fox, Warner, and Disney can get this so right, and universal completely fumble the ball? Why don't we have 16x9 transfers of Vertigo and Psycho? Why was Hell's Angels given such shabby treatment despite the tie-in with the oscar nominated "The Aviator?" Where are the Sturges, Von Sternberg/Dietrich films? Mae West? Carole Lombard? The list goes on. If Universal can't get their act together, why don't they simply license this portion of their catalog to Criterion? - Who could've btw given us dvd's of Hell's Angels, Double Indemnity, Dietrich/Von Sternberg, and many others to die for. If anyone here knows what can possibly be going on over at Universal, I would certainly like to know. There simply is no excuse for this.

-Reg

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Didn't I hear that Universal is revisiting all the Hitchcocks later this year? Or is this merely rumor? If it's true, then I imagine we'll see anamorphic versions of PSYCHO and VERTIGO. Hopefully a better transfer for THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH as well....

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
"we've seen nearly every film in the history of cinema get released on the format"

Tthat statement is too silly to even bother refuting.

Universal did a fairly lousy job with its catalog during the VHS days, too; note how many of the films on the list above didn't make it out on video tape, either.

Besides Universal, the Hal Roach talkies (Laurel & Hardy, Charley Chase, Thelma Todd, et al)? Mostly MIA, unless you've got an all-region player (which everybody should have). And that's not to even mention the thousands of other short subjects from Columbia, MGM, and other studios, that may well be gone forever.

The Max Fleischer cartoons? Mostly MIA, although a wonderful Betty Boop collection is available from France.

The classic Republic serials? Mostly MIA. You can watch Indiana Jones, but you can't see SECRET SERVICE IN DARKEST AFRICA, the chapterplay that inspired his creation.

American-International and Allied Artists drive-in cult films of the 1950s? Hope you've got an all-region player, folks.

W.C. Fields? Well, one collection from Universal and one Criterion collection of his short subjects. Looking for POPPY, THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY, MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE, NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK? Keep looking.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I think that would be Paramount.

Paramount makes excellent titles when they release something, but as far as perecentage of the studio's films not yet on DVD, I think they have the highest.

Universal is pretty good. Yes, a lot of films haven't been released. But, a lot of the titles released in the early days of DVD have been remastered and rereleased in better versions.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I beg to differ, Paramount clearly outdoes Universal with their catalogue titles. Paramount's transfers are always the correct ratio and usually are fine quality. Universal is really botching things up lately with crappy transfers and FULL FRAME fiascos (i.e. ICEMAN, COLOSSUS, THE FORBIN PROJECT). Universal needs to go back and re-do alot of titles. But they both are great compared to SONY, who is the worst studio for catalogue title DVD's.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Universal was #2 in my DVD buying last year behind Warners due primarily to their excellent Franchise series. I purchased the original incarnations of the "Universal Monsters" DVDs when first released. Most of these DVDs were first rate and very affordable and I was quite happy with Universal last year.

This year, I am concerned that Universal has seemingly put their "classic" titles on extended hiatus. There is a "Bela Lugosi Legacy Collection" coming later this year, but they've seemingly abandoned the A&C, Kettle, and Francis series and there are not even any rumors of Mae West, more Fields, etc.

Is it possible that Warners is so effectively dominating the "classic film" market (and deservedly so) that other studios are having difficulty penetrating this segment of the market? To be honest, if it hadn't been for the bargain basement pricing of the Universal sets, I probably wouldn't have bought all that I did (since I spent so much buying Warners product).

Steve

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Quality wise, I agree. Paramount catalogue titles are rarely complained about.

I was just saying the quantity of the titles. There are more Paramount films on the shelf than Universal (which is what the person was talking about).

But then again, it is the quality, not the quantity that matters.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
"There is a "Bela Lugosi Legacy Collection" coming later this year."

*L*

It's the "Boris Karloff & Bela Lugosi Legacy Collection." Don't believe everything you read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks