What's new

Universal snubs the on-line comminity: No reviews of E.T. and Back to the Future (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The show that aired on NBC (what I think you're referring to) was about 40 minutes. From what I hear, the one on the DVD is only about 15-20 minutes. Don't know if they're the same though.

And 1 hr and 55 min of extras? Didn't te press release state 10 hours?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
So we've come up with several logical reasons for this change:
1. Universal is trying to save a few bucks.
2. Universal is trying to keep some "bad news" (particularly regarding E.T.) under wraps until the discs are released.
3. Possible piracy issues.
But what it all boils down to is that online reviewers are clearly seen as the lowest creatures on Universal's publicity food chain, and I think that absolutely stinks. You can bet that print magazines and more 'controllable' media will be getting review copies.
(For the record, I've reviewed several DVDs that were purchased with my own money, and that's never once changed my perspective on the product itself.)
I certainly hope that this change is only temporary, but something tells me it probably isn't.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Okay ... I got good news and bad news.

The Bad: The reunion special on only about 18minutes on the DVD.

The VERY EXTREMELY MIND BLOWINGLY GOOD NEWS: The original version of the film is included on the 2nd disk of the 2 disk set!!! Yup, that's right!! I flipped through it and it looks great. The transfer seems just as good as the 20th anniversary edition.

I know some of you are wondering if this is in fact the original version. Well, the guns are back and so is the terrorist line!!!

YAHOO!!!!!

BTW, I checked my wrapping for the disk and there was no sticker saying that both versions would be included.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
that is awesome news!!! I wonder if we could make a separate post for that news? I think some people will be happy with this news!

JACOB

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
yes that is certainly great news. no need for that overpriced set just cuz it has a soundtrack (who needs that with a isolated score anyway) and film cell and whatever other useless junk is included. I will cancel and order the 2-disc.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
no need for that overpriced set just cuz it has a soundtrack (who needs that with a isolated score anyway)
Well, it looks like there's bad news for Canadians. There is no isolated score on the 2-disk version. But, there's a spiffy French 5.1 track to take it's place. Yahoo! E.T. in French! :rolleyes

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Why is that bad new for Canadians? Does the U.S. release of the Collector's Edition have an isolated score?
Anyway, great news. I just cancelled my order of the Ultimate Gift Set and will instead opt for the 2-disc set. :emoji_thumbsup:
And shame on Universal for not making it clear that both version would be on the CE.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
here are the features that are supposed to be on the disc.

DVD Features:
Universal plans to discontinue this title on December 31, 2002. However, you may still place orders until inventory runs out.

Disc One: Feature film--2002 version

Isolated John Williams live music score

Steven Spielberg: A Look Back & Space Exploration

Disc Two:

The evolution and creation of ET

John Williams conducts the orchestra

The reunion

ET achieves and trailer

DVD-ROM features with Total Axess includes behind-the-scenes footage, interviews, etc.

Widescreen anamorphic format

Number of discs: 2

James Reader

Screenwriter
But everyone is still reporting 3 (4 including cd) discs for the 'ultimate collectors edition'? What's going to be on the third disc now?
Edited to make clear I am talking about E.T. of course.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I just sent off an e-mail to The Digital Bits and DVDFile with my findings. Hopefully they can post this information so more people can be made aware that the original version isn't only available in the overpriced (IMHO) box set.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well if the original version is on the 2 disc set, I think that that explains the lack of pre-release screeners. Universal don't want people cancelling their orders for the 'Ultimate Gift Set'.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Is this true? Can it be accessed through main menu? Can you post some screenshots or anything.

I don't get it. Why would Universal want to keep this secret? So millions of fanboys can start verbally attacking them? I mean they accidentally let slip the news that the 2 disc would have both versions then went to all the trouble of refuting it. Is this a last attempt to save their face or bail out of the awful position.

Well, if it does contain both version, I'll be extremely happy. I'm just confused. So is the 3rd disc full of goodies? And how is the 50 min doc?

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Is this true? Can it be accessed through main menu? Can you post some screenshots or anything.
What exactly would you like a screenshot of? Proof of the original version?

The menus are identical for both discs. You pop it in and then you get options for play, languages, scenes and special features. It doesn't have 'original version' listed anywhere in the menu.

I could get a screenshot of the gun scene, but I have nowhere to host it.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ah, forget it. It's just either too strange or too great to be true. It just doesn't make sense! Did Universal keep this secret in order to get $50 extra bucks?!

Also, is this the original THEATRICAL version? I mean with the "terrorist" line?

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Not quite sure how I missed this.

The label on disc two lists "Original Theatrical Release" and "Bonus Features".

I'll see if I can borrow a digital camera from a friend this weekend.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I asked about the menu because it looked like Disc Two started with this:

But then on second glance, it has the option to go back to the main menu!!! How could I've missed that!

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Notice the 'menu' option on that screen. That's the menu for the bonus materials section of the disk.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
With most of the extras on Disc 2, I'm wondering what the vid quality's like on the original version.

This release seemed to be pretty bad, but now it seems to be getting better and better! We thought the trailers and deleted scenes were only available through DVD-ROM, but they're actually on the disc!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks