What's new

Universal remotes (1 Viewer)

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
Is the a univ remote avail that will work with a digital cable/hd/dvr box, my new TV Mitsu and my Denon AVR2805?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Of course, there are a ton of them. With any of the true universal remotes with learning capabilities, your equipment list is fairly irrelevant, unless looking to control a tremendous number of devices (> 10) or multi-room control. You pick the remote based on its features, and just assume all your current & future equipment will work with it. This will hold true unless the equipment is:
-rf control only, no IR option
-some really oddball protocol or frequency

Remote Central has a lot of reviews/user reviews/forums that can help you choose depending on your price range & feature requirements. I think the Logitech Harmony & URC (URC-200, RF-20, MX-??? series) lines have the most bang for the buck, though URC recently implemented a rather annoying, consumer-unfriendly software distribution policy that affects their higher end PC programmable models.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I love my Harmony/Logitech 688. It has the PVR buttons to skip forward/back. It ran me about $120 last year, but it is well worth it.

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Let me second (or is it third?) the Harmony line. I picked up a 676 earlier this year from another member and despite being notoriously picky I absolutely love it. There are occasionally small quibbles (as there will be with anything you don't design and build yourself), but it manages to work just about perfectly and is everything I want in a universal remote allowing me to easily and effortlessly swtich from watching TV on my TiVo to watching a DVD without having to think about where the controls are located or pick up different remotes to get everything set up just the way I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks