Universal Remotes

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jay H, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Do you know of any universal remotes which actually has a unique video selector, i.e. Video 1, Video 2, Video 3, etc, rather than a simply TV/Video cyclic toggle? I killed my parents old Sony remove (RM-745) and the new replacement (RM-Y133) for it is like $70 MSRP. My Dishnetwork remote can control the TV except they only have a TV/Video toggle and if any universal remote has the direct video source link, then it would be worth purchase. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth it to spend $70 on a replacement and I'll simply use the DSS uni. remote.

Jay

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I believe the TV has to have discreet codes for its own Video inputs so any remote can just jump to it with toggling thru everything. I use a Pronto TSU2000 and while my set I believe doesn't have the codes, the remote does a great job of picking the correct input as well as what I want to be on, i.e, DVD player, rec. Of course it wtook me a good few days to hammer out how I want it to go, from TV, to rec, to player, to input, etc.

3. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I have a Cinema 7 ("with learning") Universal remote. Although it doesn't have specific buttons for the different video inputs, I have "assigned" specific buttons those functions. The remote has four "learning" buttons for things that were on your original but may not be on the Cinema 7. For example, when the remote is in the TV mode pressing L1 sets the TV to atnenna A, pressing L2 sets it to Video 1 and so forth. Also, you can change the function of any button. So, since I have more inputs on my TV than learning buttons, I have made the record button function in TV mode as the HD input. It's not an ideal solution since you can't rename the buttons (the limitation of remotes with "hard buttons"). The other nice thing is that you don't need the original remote to program the Cinema 7 even if the codes aren't already programmed onto it. What I mean is that the Cinema 7 may not have discrete input codes, but you can add them to it. There are places you can find lists of "advanced codes" which you use to re-program a specific button. Doing this does not require the original remote, just the three-digit code. The best place for this information is probably www.hifi-remote.com. I know that the advanced codes for the Sony are there and work because I used to have a Sony TV and the Cinema 7 worked great with it. The Cinema 7 is an older model but the newer ones work the same way. More information is also available at www.remotecentral.com under the One for All section.

SMK

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Is there anything inexpensive that will allow me to program it (without the original remote which is busted). I've thought of the prontos and the like but they are kind of more than I'd want to spend on such an old TV. But it is very handy to be able to select Video 2 (which is set to my DSS receiver) and TV which is for broadcast TV we don't pay for through DishNetwork.

Also, I believe what is wrong with the original Sony remote is when I dropped it the IR light I think broke. I opened it up and would consider taking my soldering iron and trying to get a replacement bulb but wanted to check my replacement options too. The unit is big and very easily dropped!

Jay

5. RoyGBiv

Jay,

The Cinema 7 is no longer available, but there are newer models widely available. As I indicated above, you do not need the original to program these remotes as you can assign functions to keys using "advanced codes" which are widely available. These are three-digit codes that you use for a specific function, and once that code has been put on that key, it always performs that function. For example, Sony TVs are device code 0000. If you go to www.hifi-remote.com you will find a listing of advanced codes for that device telling you what each one does. Antenna is 112 and video 2 is 030. You can make one button your antenna button and give it code 112, and you can make another your video 2 button with code 030.

If you are interested, you can actually program some of these remotes using something called JP1 which is a combination of a cable that goes from the parallel port on your computer to a connector on the remote and programs that have been written to go with it. The programs allow you to utilize the remote's memory much more compactly, and you can put all kinds of things on these remotes. More info on this is also at the above site, and there is a whole Yahoo newsgroup related to it.

These remotes are not expensive. I think the Radio Shack versions start about $20. I think a new remote of this type would be less expensive and less work than trying to replace the IR on your broken remote.

SMK

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks a bunch Shawn, I didn't know they were that cheap. I shall have to go to a Radio Shack soon.. I looked up the codes from the website you listed and hopefully they'll work out. I know Radio Shack has a pretty good return policy anyway. I "Borrowed" a RF demodulator that way until I got a new TV.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Jay

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I went to Radio shack, the friendly guy there says that all of the inexpensive learning remotes NEED a working remote for it to work, so I bought a $20 one and am going to try to see if I can find a RMY-133 which is the replacement remote for my old RM745. I might post a separate thread to see if anybody knows what TV includes a RMY-133 so I can try to go to a store that carries it. Otherwise, I just hope that any ole Sony remote would use the same IR code that the RM 745 does. The guy at Radio Shack did not know of any way to program the remote to a specific IR code. (I bet there is some kind of internal diagnostics mode to do so though...)

Jay

8. RoyGBiv

I believe the guy at Radio Shack is wrong.

Go to www.remotecentral.com to the One for All forum and post a question regarding your specific remote and how to program it with Advanced Codes. The exact sequence of numbers to press may vary by remote. I can tell you how to do it with the Cinema 7, for example, but it is not necessarily the same as the one you have. At remotcentral there are people who can tell you what exactly to do with your model. You should not need the original to program it. Here is an example of how you don't need the original. I have a Mitsubishi VCR which does not have an eject button on the remote. So, therefore, there would be no way to use the Mitsubishi remote to teach the Cinema 7 how to eject a tape. However, using the advanced codes I programmed the Tv/Video button on the remote to eject the tape from the VCR. You should be able to do something similar with your remote for the Sony TV.

SMK

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Done Steven, I posted a question on RC.com... I'll let you know how it goes...

Of course, this is odd because the remote I bought from radio shack looks used!!! I open the box and the manual looks flipped through, somebody actually circuled the Hitachi codes for TV and Sony codes for the VCR so the person who bought this originally must of had a Hitachi TV and a Sony VCR. This is besides the fact that when I put batteries in it, it didn't work!!! So I'm going to exchange it today, hopefully for one that is actually new. [​IMG]

Jay

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Woohoo, got a new remote and tried the programming from remotecentral and it now works great. I programmed the VCR controls for FF, RW, Play, and Pause to Video 1/2/3/TV so now I can easily switch between the two..

Jay