What's new

universal remote (1 Viewer)

Shea

Stunt Coordinator
I have a HT with a Kenwood Receiver, RCA DVD player, Toshiba VCR(TV tuner via VCR).. Too many freakin remotes! Can anyone give recommendations on fairly cheap (under $50) universal remotes that can run all of that?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
OneFor All makes a lot of really nice universals in your price range. They also OEM Radio Shack remotes which many models are very good also. I recommend going to www.remotecentral.com and looking up the OneForAll forum there. DO some reading and some searching on the internet, I think you'll be happy with what you find. I've been using OneForAll remotes for a long time and I really like them.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I got one from Radio Shack ,$39 or so ,does 8 devices,and has a little LCD screen on top .Pretty user friendly,In my usual ,"screw with it "then read how to do it mode:D I got everything to work with it in about 40 min,just needs some fine tuning.Only problem,I couldnr ge the HK codes to work ,so I had to learn the remote off the HK one ,just did
on/off volume .Other than that for $39 buck,it kicks butt:emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I agree with the comments above. The 2 best choices in this price range are the One For All/Radio Shack (all made by One For All) models (there are several) and also, IMO, the Sony 900 (I can't remember the exact model number at this moment.)

As Philip notes, the OFA remotes have an entire culture devoted to them over at remotecentral.com. They are very flexible remotes for the money. They are well worth checking out.

The Sony 900 sells for around $50. It comes with a pre-loaded code base and can learn many commands too. The biggest drawback is that the 900 has no backlight. (The keys will glow in the dark though.)

Shea

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I might go for that Sony 900, plan to go check out Radio Shack too. Dumb question- I watch my tv through the VCR remote which doesn't have that 'previous channel'(switching back and forth between 2 channels), if I switch those controls to the universal remote, will I not be able to use a 'previous channel' button on the UR because the VCR remote functions which it would be taking over don't have that button? (hmm maybe that makes sense?)

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
I echo the comments of others here. The UEIC remotes are terrific. Great buys for the money. Add a $5 cable and some free software and you can make them really sing.

I watch my tv through the VCR remote
Did you mean to say that you watch TV through the VCR, i.e. you use your VCR as a tuner to select channels? If that is what you meant, and your VCR does not have a Prev Ch function, then using a universal remote will not give you that function. If the VCR doesn't have the ability to do that, a remote won't make it happen. You may want to check to see if there are advanced codes for your VCR that contain a Prev Ch function.

If, on the other hand, you meant that you use your VCR's remote to operate your TV and your TV does have a Prev Ch function but you haven't been using it because your VCR remote doesn't have a button for it, then a universal remote will be able to operate the Prev Ch function on your TV.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm selling my Sony AV2000 remote that should meet your needs I think...It's for sale in the "Hardware For Sale" section of HTF.

Alfer

Shea

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I'm wondering about some of those types of remotes is they are pretty wide..And made right handed, I'm left handed. The channel and volume buttons are pretty far over on the right..Would it be awkward trying to flip through the channels with your left hand??

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Yeah, if you're talking about the Sony touchscreens, they are kinda made for right-handed users. But to be honest, they are big enough that one-handed operation is tough anyway. So then you are back to 2 hands and then it might not be such a big deal anymore...

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I just bought the Kameleon remote sold through Radio Shack. I have to say, I like it. It is $9 more than you say, but worth it.
First, it looks cool.
Second, it has macro's. With that many devices your wife will love you for those.
Third, it is a learning remote, so you can reprogram the keys as you like. Volume key too far over? Fine, pick a comfy unused key and program it.

Downside; I am having real difficulty getting it to learn from my remotes. It takes several attempts, even when it gives me positive feedback - vvery frustrating. I think I'll start a thread about this topic.

Downside #2, it cannot be submersed in the bathtub, just ask my 1 yr old daughter. And right after I finally got it programmed JUST right!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks