What's new

Universal Remote-Where can I find one? (1 Viewer)

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering where i could find an affordable universal remote for my home theatre?, or which remotes are the better ones.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
make sure you get a "learning remote". i don't know how i ever lived without one.

johnny

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In the "affordable" catagory, I like the "One For All" brand though Philips also makes some nice one's. I'd go to the makers web site, find the one that work's with you're equipment and has the features you want (don't forget about back lighting), and then look for it on the web or in the stores. Gene

Johnny_M

Second Unit
if you want to save some money, but want to be able to control EVERYTHING, I bought 2 of these and have been very happy with them. ALL my other remotes are in the closet now, and the batteries last a pretty good ammount of time for a remote with a backlight. Mine lights up red tho, hmm, i wonder if theres an option to change? ill have to check out my manual again.

well, they wont let me post a URL because i;m a new member. just do a search on google for "One For All URC-8910"

I found mine on ebay for about 20 bucks +shipping.

Johnny

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny,
the remote you suggust is only 20 bucks, that sounds pretty cheap. I will check it out.

I am looking to spend 100 Canadian, I have four remotes.

Does any one know if these remotes would control a gas fireplace?

Johnny_M

Second Unit
macro lets you program several button presses for 1 button. this allows you to do things like press 1 button, which in turn turns on the tv, receiver, satalite, then maybe ajdusts the volume to your fav level, then maybe tune to your favorite station, etc etc. The possibilities are endless.

Johnny

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
A learning remote can take any signal from an existing remote and assign it to a button on the new remote. I don't know if any specific remote will have every remote-controlled fireplace pre-programmed, but most, or all, should be able to learn the function if you have the original remote.

Another macro example that I use every time I watch a DVD:
  1. 1. Turn on the TV
    2. Switch TV to DVD input
    3. Turn on DVD player
    4. Open DVD tray
    5. Turn on receiver
    6. Switch receiver to DVD input[/list=1]
    All at the push of a single button!

I also have one for engaging/disengaging 16:9 mode and another for listening to a CD.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Macro's are awesome. That is a feature that some of the cheaper remotes will not have.

I personally would pony up the extra money and go for one of the Mx500's or even the Harmony's which I'm being told by a friend is pretty good.

Mark gas

Second Unit
Macros kick but.
I bought a Sony remote from A&B for $100.
I press one button and it turns on the Bell sat, turns on the TV, turns on my yammie reviver, swithes it to video 1, and then goes back to the bell sat reviver for control of the channels and volume control of the Yamimie.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I love my Harmony SST-659. It replaced a Marantz RC2000 MKII universal learning remote that I used for 4 years. The Marantz is similar in functionality to the HTM MX-500, although the latter has a few more features.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Radio Shack has a nice learning remote for $30. The only problem is that I can't get it to turn power on my new Yamaha 2400 receiver. Other than that it controls every thing I need for four pieces of equipment.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bought the Radio Shack 15-1994 model a few years ago and it has been exceptional, especially for only $30. Lots of buttons that light up. Easy to use and to program. Fairly decent memory, has learning features and macro buttons.

I'd like to get a new remote in the near future, as I've since upgraded some hardware. Radio Shack remotes will be high on my list.

Mitch G

Agent
I recently went on a search for universal remote. Originally, I wanted to keep the cost below $100US, but ended up getting an MX-700 ($160 via an Ebay seller). I am very happy I did.

I like the PC-based programming of the remote. It makes tweaking the remote setup very easy. And, the remote is quite flexible. I now have a set of programmable buttons that my family members use for their basic needs while I can still have more control options for my personal use (e.g. changing DSP settings on the receiver, using my TV's PIP capability, etc.).

Mitch

JackS

Supporting Actor
Just bought a Sony RM-3000 refurb from e-cost for $79. I don't know anything about after market remotes but this is at least half price and should be more than enough for most people if it works as advertised.

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator

MartyM,

What RadioShack remote did you go with, the 15-2116? Are you using the JP1 features with that remote?

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
I've used Prontos and MX remotes pretty extensively. I would take an MX over any pronto. Much better software (where applicable) and you can't beat hard buttons.

In my opinion, the MX 500 is the best $100 or so you can spend on your system

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks