Universal remote w/ Tivo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I was wondering if such a product exists: a universal remote control that can handle Tivo as well as TV, cable, receiver, and DVD player.

I have a fantastic remote that operates my whole system (which is a very mixed set up), but I just got a Tivo and would love to have one remote that can do it all.

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

You might have to go to a programmable remote, like a Pronto or Marantz. I can personally recommend the Pronto TSU2000.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well I have replay tv, not tivo, but my pronto handles everything including the replay tv, including a much easier way of typing in things to search for that can't be done with hard button remotes (I responded about this in another thread where is was claimed that the 500 could do everything a pronto could do, but no one took up the challenge).

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Hmm, I'll definitely check out out the Pronto.

Right now I have an A/V Producer, which is programmable. However, I couldn't get it to read the Tivo. For one thing, in order to set it, you have to turn the machine off and on, but there is no power switch on Tivo.

Anyway, I'll go find a web site about the Pronto. Thanks guys.

5. Eric M L

Eric M L Extra

If the cost of the pronto throws you off, or if you'd rather have an actual push button remote instead of an LCD screen, you can't go wrong with the Sony RM-VL900. It's about $60, has great learning capabilities and macros. I got it to learn all the necessary TiVo commands and couldn't be happier with it.
    Take a look at www.remotecentral.com to get an idea of what remotes are out there. It's a great resource for reviews, hints, downloads, etc.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I use an MX-500 to control my Sony TiVo unit. I had to teach it the codes from the Sony remote, but MX-500 is quite easy to program. Universal often updates their codes, so it's possiable that later models have the Sony TiVo pre-programmed.

I've never used a Pronto, but I find the separate cursor and transport controls on the MX-500 to be ideally suited for controlling a TiVo.

M.