Universal Remote Recommendations

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Stan Welks, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Stan Welks

Stan Welks Stunt Coordinator

I am not exactly sure what features I am looking for, though I want a universal remote that will work with the latest types of devices and may have features that will make it relevant for a few more years. I would also like for it to work with a Windows Media Center computer or a Mac computer (if that even exists).
    A nice lcd screen (if possible).
    I am willing to spend up to around $600.

Can anyone provide any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Stan - take a look at the Logitech Harmony 880 and 890. This will control everything including your TV, DVR, Receiver, Cable Box, XBox, Media Center Computer, CD Player, DVD Player, etc. All of the macro's are programmed online, and then downloaded to the remote control via USB. Enjoy!

3. Stan Welks

The only feature that these are missing ar WiFi; I am not sure if I will use it though it might be good to control music from another room, not sure if RF works that far?

Any remotes that also have WiFi that can be recommended?

Thanks!

4. Alon Goldberg

You didn't mention WiFi in your first post [​IMG] But the Harmony 890 includes a bridge receiver, and has a range of up to 100 feet.

"Logitech's Harmony 890 remote control uses both radio frequency (RF) and infrared (IR) wireless signals to deliver powerful complete control of your home-entertainment system that may be hidden behind cabinets. With a wireless range of up to 100 feet, the Harmony 890 remote sends RF commands to a wireless receiver, which then blasts infrared signals to the components. The Harmony 890 remote makes universal control for home entertainment and advanced lighting systems simple."

5. Stan Welks

Thanks Alon for your replies,

I didn't even think of WiFi until I saw it listed on some other remote after looking for the 890. The 890 sounds like it should do what I need, however, it would be nice if I could control my TV from my front porch with WiFi :)

6. Jason Blaydes

Jason Blaydes Stunt Coordinator

screw the harmony remote... although its a good all around remote. go with the nevo sl! its the only remote that you'll need and will ever need. its custimizable, home thaeter pc compatible, touch screen lcd, wifi, and expandable. good luck.

- Jason

7. Alon Goldberg

Great remote! $800 though.. If you have the money, I would definately choose the Nevo SL [​IMG]

8. Jason Blaydes

Jason Blaydes Stunt Coordinator

I think its $700 bucks, which is only one hundred over his proposed budget. I suggested this remote because I felt it better suited his desired needs. I have the harmony 880 and think its a good remote, but the harmony's have some shortfalls.