universal remote question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by nikeman, Aug 5, 2006.

1. nikeman

nikeman Agent

Robert
    Ok

I had 3 remotes that I had to use at one time and I have gotten that down to 2. For some reason I am unable to program my remote to the actual home theater box. It is a 5 in 1 (Samsung HT-P38). Can anyone tell me how to get my universal remote to work on this along with the tv and the cable box. I already have the cable box and tv on one but I have to use the other one to turn on the HT-P38 and to turn the volume up or down which gets very annoying!

Thanks!

EDIT: I am using the remote that came with the digital cable box from COX BTW...

2. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

The remotes packaged with most Cox cable boxes are not "learning" types, meaning that you're stuck using the codes pre-programmed into the remote by the factory. Most all-in-one home theater systems are very proprietary and will often not be supported by non-learning remotes.

So if you want everything to be on ONE remote, you'll probably have to buy an aftermarket learning remote.

3. nikeman

nikeman Agent

Robert
    what is a good learning remote that dosnt cost to much??

4. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Well, first you'll need to define what "costs too much."

On the lower end of URC (Universal Remote Company) remotes, you can get an MX350 for $150 retail. This remote will control up to 10 devices, but you have to program it the old fashioned way (push-button).

Alternatively, you can also pick up a Logitech Harmony 550 for the same price. This remote is PC programmable and comes with a USB cable. PC programming capability is nice to have when you're programming/testing macros.

Hope that helps.

5. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    The Harmony 659, which uses the same setup program as all the Harmony remotes, can be found online for $100. I have been using it for about 4 years now, and it has completely replaced 5 remotes in my system and allows me to control power for my PS2 for which I did not have a remote. The 659 doesn't have the best key layout of the Harmony's but it has a great ptrice point.

One of the great things about the Harmony's is that they have Activity buttons and remember the state of the devices when switching between activities. For example, you want to "watch TV", it'll turn on your TV and your receiver, set it to the right TV input, set the receiver to the proper audio input, and the remote will know to control volume on the receiver and channels on the cable box (or tv). Switch to "Watch DVD", and the remote will know that the TV and receiver are already on.

6. SherardP

SherardP Stunt Coordinator

I just got the Harmony 880 and its great. At one time I had 4 remotes on the coffee table, now thats down to just one and the charger for the 880, its awesome and works flawlessly for me.

7. nikeman

nikeman Agent

Robert
    thanks for the info guys! I am looking into the Harmonys now and will prob buy one as a birthday present..