Universal Remote Newb - Where to get codes?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Dave Milne, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

This probably doesn't belong in this forum, but I figured the DIY gurus here would know this...

(Admin note - thread moved)

To help my recently widowed mother-in-law operate her system, and eliminate the "coffee table full of remotes", I got her a Phillips Pronto TSU3000. It came with a CD called "ProntoEdit NG" that lets you set it up on a PC and then download to the remote.

When I go to configure the devices (TV, VCR, etc), it asks for brand (as I expected... I wrote down all of the makes and models of her equipment). But then, instead of asking for model number, it asks for "code set" and gives you a dozen or so 4-digit numbers to choose from the pulldown menu.

How do I get from make and model number to "code set"??

Dave

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

3. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

If you use the built-in codes of ProntoEdit NG, you would just have to try each one to see which will work with the component in question. You may be better off to use one of the existing files from the link ThomasW posted, keeping in mind that you can use old style Pronto files (.ccf) as well as the NG files (.pcf).