What's new

Universal re-releasing Image licensed titles in April. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree some of those will be price reductions, since Brazil was also not an Image release.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here is the ENTIRE Universal slate for release on 4/1/03, including listings of SRP's. Note that some of these are specifically mentioned as Widescreen. Others - notably the Image rereleases - don't say one way or the other. That might not mean anything, but I'm nervous that it does not say. I hope I'm just paranoid! Here's the list:

$14.98 Always (Widescreen)
$19.98 American Graffiti - Collectors Edition (Widescreen)
$19.98 Andromeda Strain
$14.98 *batteries not included (Widescreen)
$19.98 Brazil (Widescreen)
$19.98 The Breakfast Club (Widescreen)
$14.98 Continental Divide
$14.98 Farenheit 451
$19.98 K-9: PI (Widescreen)
$19.98 The Last Starfighter (Widescreen)
$14.98 Legal Eagles
$19.98 The Man Who Wasn't There (Widescreen)
$19.98 Monsoon Wedding (Widescreen)
$19.98 Mulholland Drive (Widescreen)
$19.98 Reality Bites (Widescreen)
$19.98 Sixteen Candles
$19.98 Weird Science
$14.98 The Wiz (Widescreen)
$19.98 Xanadu (Widescreen)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I sent Universal and e-mail about a possibility of John Hughes SE reissues:

There have been rumors that special editions of Wierd Science, Sixteen Candles and the Breakfast Club are being set to be released. As a fan of Mr. Hughes, I'm curious as to when these will be released.
Thank You
Steve Knutzen

That was on Nov 18. On Dec 17, I recieved this:

Unfortunately we have no information to confirm this rumor. We know that these title are out of print and not available.

Thank you,
Universal Studios Customer Service
Code= PI

What does it mean?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
What does it mean?
That the discs are out of print, and they aren't saying anything about a future rerelease. At the price points indicated, I would safely assume these will simply be repacks of the previous discs. MAYBE they are upgrades, but I wouldn't bet on it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that, while the old Breakfast Club release was Universal, the other two (Sixteen Candles, Weird Science) were Image releases.
Having said that, there probably is nothing keeping Universal from recycling the old transfers. However, their previous Image (and Goodtimes!) re-releases were all new transfers.
As to the meaning of the response to the inquiry, even if the person knew about this list (they may not have), then they wouldn't spread information until it had been publicly announced. Even if that announcement was days away (and even if waiting a short time to supply an already-late answer would yield a better response), they would NOT take it upon themselves to be spokesperson for the company.
For all they know, you work for a major newspaper in Minnesota! ( :wink: for Randy Salas! :laugh: )

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Midnight Run is suppose to be re-released in June according to a thread I read here a few weeks ago.

Gavin_L

Second Unit
thanks for the update on the releases David.
Hoping that sixteen candles and wierd science will be in widescreen :D

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jon-

I have repeated asked John Mulvaney over at Criterion
about Double Indemnity on several occasions, and
I never get an encouraging answer...so you shouldn't be
very hopeful about your "hopefully."

Mark

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I suppose a Criterion of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band would be too much to ask - I'll take it any way I can get it though, as long as it's not pan and scan like my old Discovision copy! :)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Jesse, right now you may be better off with that Discovision copy of SGT. PEPPER'S than you realize. Many shots in that transfer are simply anamorphically squeezed, which means you could potentially unsqueeze them on a widescreen TV. Subsequent "improved" transfers of the movie have done more proper pan-scanning which removes the stretchy aspect but then, it's still pan-scanning.

Many very very old transfers of Panavision/Cinemascope features were done in this quick squeezed mode, which means widescreen TV buyers have something to marginally satiate themselves with while waiting for proper letterboxed transfers. Unforeseen benefit, glass half full?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
On a message board I post to (at the 80s Movie Gateway-http://www.fast-rewind.com/), I read that Bill Paxton has recorded a commentary track for the re-release of "Weird Science".

I would say this is a hopeful sign that the Universal Hughes films will get pretty good special features.

My wish, though, is for "Breakfast Club", to contain not just the scenes from the TBS version, but also the footage that's in John Hughes' personal copy of the film, which I read about in an old issue of "Premeire" magazine. Over an hour of footage didn't make it into the movie (the scenes I most remember reading about involved Ally Sheedy imagining her fellow detainees in various fantasy guises, i.e, Molly Ringwald as a Princess and Judd Nelson as a food-hoarding Viking.) I guess it was just too out there for an otherwise staid and serious piece.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Now, who wants greasy pork sandwiches served in dirty ashtrays?

Jae E

Agent
Glad to see Andromeda Strain, Fahrenheit 451, Breakfast Club & 16 Candles being re-released. My fingers are crossed in hope that these will have some nice extras.
I remember reading from one of the Dave's Studio Day reports that a special edition of Andromeda Strain was in the works...my fingers are crossed, too.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
I recall some sort of problem with music rights for Sixteen Candles, so that the soundtrack was actually changed for previous video/DVD releases. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, I hope the problem's been resolved for the April release.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Don't worry...for movies, studios often do clear the music rights for a DVD release, that weren't cleared for VHS, LD, or television. Trading Places, Johnny Dangerously, Footloose, Flashdance, etc...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
haven't seen The Breakfast Club in years, so great news indeed
David, you are sure it is not an April Fool's release date
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks