What's new

Universal re-releasing Image licensed titles in April. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Just in case some people may have missed it, DVDTalk has listed Universal's releases for April and it includes a few titles they were once licensed to Image:
Always
American Graffiti
Andromeda Strain, The
*batteries not included
Brazil
Breakfast Club, The
Continental Divide
Fahrenheit 451
Last Starfighter, The
Legal Eagles
Sixteen Candles
Weird Science
Glad to see Andromeda Strain, Fahrenheit 451, Breakfast Club & 16 Candles being re-released. My fingers are crossed in hope that these will have some nice extras.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The time to eBay the OOP titles fetching high prices is NOW! :D
I'll hold off on eBaying Midnight Run, though, as it's not listed.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Is it safe to assume that all of these will feature new anamorphic transfers, or will they simply be rehashes of the earlier Image discs? That's a pretty big batch of OOP titles to all hit at once. I'd love to upgrade my copies of F451 (an isolated Bernard Herrmann score would be marvellous, since the original soundtrack has never been released outside of bootlegs), SIXTEEN CANDLES and THE BREAKFAST CLUB.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Was Midnight Run part of this as well? I saw a copy in a local store for $19.99 and was going to scoop it up today.

Ralph

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Was Midnight Run part of this as well? I saw a copy in a local store for $19.99 and was going to scoop it up today.
It's been out of print for well over a year now, and genuine copies are fetching anywhere from $30 to $70 on eBay now. I know I'd pick it up if I saw it in the store for $19.99! Wonderful movie and very hard to find DVD.

If Universal does re-release it, I'm not sure if they'd just repackage it anyhow. Though, it definitely deserves the SE treatment, the non-anamorphic disc doesn't look too bad.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Fahrenheit 451 and the missing Slaughterhouse Five were two of the better nonanamorphic releases. If these same sources were upgraded to anamorphic, it would be excellent.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
And what about the most important of them all... The Marx Brothers films?
I'm surprised these have sat in limbo for as long as they have. Hopefully, it's because they're getting some much needed restoration work.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Very happy about Fahrenheit 451, assuming it's 16:9-encoded. My OoP disc looks good, all things considered. Good to hear about The Andromeda Strain, too.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Great Question! I still have my Image Boxset, but am more & more tempted to cash it in for what it's drawing on Ebay. The picture is so bad on most of these discs, that I could take the cash and replace them with VHS & see virtually no difference & have and extra $150 in my pocket. I hope they are working on restoring them and hopefully even recovering some of the deleted stuff especially in "Horse Feathers".

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
When Universal re-released Cat People and Silent Running, both had upgraded transfers and some nice extras. Hopefully they'll continue this trend with this batch.
They also upgraded from Snappers to Keepcases, but I guess we don't need to open that can of worms here :)
still waiting for new versions of:
Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
Amazon Women On The Moon
This Island Earth
and, of course,
Flash Gordon

Gavin_L

Second Unit
what a lovely b day present some of those will be with, my b day being 3 days after they are released. Will totally be asking for Sixteen Candles and Wierd Science :) Glad they are finally being rereleased on dvd.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Andromeda Strain!
Andromeda Strain!
Andromeda Strain!
Andromeda Strain!
Sorry, I got carried away. :b

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
American Grafitti was already a Universal release, and an CE to boot. I doubt that's coming out again, especially not as an Image rerelease, since Image never handled it in the first place.

Matthew_B

Agent
Real Name
Matthew
I really hope The Breakfast Club will have the deleted scenes included. I saw them on TV runs a couple of times and they were pretty good, about 4 IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks