What's new

Universal Ramps Up SACD Classical Releases (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
One of the two "new releases" is actually old. The Herbey Beethoven 9th is the exact same performance as was included in the previous boxed set of symphonies. I bought it several months ago. I'm guessing that the other Herbey Beethoven releases are nothing more than individual disks being released from the boxed set.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, I know the SACD of Karajan's 9th is surround sound, while the one in the box set is not. I think it's a different performance, recorded later, so I would assume the new ones are of the same cycle. I've heard these aren't so hot- very "syrupy" and heavy on the legatto.

Most of the other releases don't seem particularly thrilling, to be quite honest. I do look forward to the Gergiov's Shostakovich (I have and enjoy the SACD of the Leningrad).

Seth--L

Screenwriter

The German release date is still Oct 4., so as I said in another thread, if you're not going to buy them overseas but instead wait for the US release, the delay is going to be at least one-two months, if not more.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Frankly, I don't know why I typed that. Sorry. I think I was making an assumption based on the other release of Karajan's recording of the 9th, which is MC and a different performance than the one in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks