What's new

Universal Projector Mount (1 Viewer)

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone - really appreciated all the nuggets of info I have gleamed off this site so far.

So here is my question: What experience have people had with universal projector mounts.

I am building my dedicated home theater in the basement from scratch. Framing is done and I am starting electrical. I will be mounting a front projector midway back in the room. I currently have a Sony VPL-W400 (LCD) projector, but will be getting a new projector in a year or two (need to pay for construction first). I have installed bracing in the ceiling ~14 feet back as this seemed the most versital location for LCD or DLP mounting (based on calculation for 106" dia. 16x9 screen). I want to install a projector to the bracing to hang through the wallboard. I will then build a hush box around the projector with dedicated venting out of the room through the ceiling. The projector will need to hang enough to clear the ceiling in the front half of the room (which is a dropped ceiling to account for support beams holding up the first floor).

So, what experience have people had? Any recommendations on either company or specific product.

Requirements are:
Universal bracket
Adjustable height (lense will need to be ~8 below ceiling, ~10 from ceiling mount)

Thanks.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The ones I've seen, from people like Chief, Premiere, and... (drawing blank)

tend to be similar: a fitting to mate to 1.5" threaded pipe that connects to the cieling somehow, and then 3 or 4 adjustable 'legs' that connect to your projector's mount points.

They look okay. I don't know how they work in reality. Some of the companies also make the adjustable columns, but it's probably more stable (in general) to go with a single piece of galvanized steel pipe.

Leo

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
was thinking about the fact that the single non-adjustable pipe would be more stable. The challange will be finding a correct length with each end threaded

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
From a home supply store like Home Depot or Loews, you should be able to get a piece of pipe cut and threaded; all you need to do is bring them the length data. Or, if you're within a little bit of a standard length, just get one of their pre-cut pieces.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks