Universal projector mount?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Philip Hamm, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I was looking for some info on projector mounts for my new X1,and I stumbled on this little thing here:

Universal Projector Mount

Another one at the same location

Is anyone using these mounts? They are a fraction of the price of a projector specific mount, and they look like they would work fine as far as I'm concerned. Heck, I was planning on building some kind of DIY solution until I found these bad boys. Anyone have any experience with any of these mounts?

And what about the products sold by Perfect Mounts ? These look even better than the universals up there.

Either of these options is a fraction of the price of the Infocus brand mount, with the ease of installation that makes a DIY mount irrelevant (for my installation that is - I need to mount hanging from the ceiling in my room).

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I've used similar mounts in 2 installations and they work great. The biggest drawback is that they're ugly. If getting the perfect look is important to you, I'd think about going a different route, but if you're looking for good price and easy installation these are aren't a bad idea.

Though for the X1, a homemade mount is very easy to make depending on the type of ceiling in your room. If you're interested in making one, email me and I'll show you what I did for my X1. It's simple, but doesn't draw any attention to itself and I think it ran me about $15 or $20 and a few hours of time.

**edit**

I just looked at the 2nd mount you linked to and that really looks good. For $65 it doesn't seem too bad if you'd rather buy one prebuilt.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The AVS Forum member Mandarax builds and sells an X1 mount to other AVS members for a very decent price (approx. $100 CDN plus shipping). He also makes mounts for the Infocus 4805 and the Benq 8700+. They are very nice...powder-coated finish, not ugly at all. [​IMG]

No, I don't have any of his mounts yet...I want to build a hushbox for my 8700+ first, and his mount may not work with it.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Max, you beat me to it!

Mandarax has sold hundreds of these things off AVS, and I haven't heard anything bad. He appears to be like SVS, very good with problems and will sort out any short shipping or other problems right away.

He's a nice guy too.

B

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wow thanks for the recommendation, Mandarax's mount looks like a great contender!