What's new

Universal price drops...STILL letting us down on CE prices! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
From DVDFile this morning:
Also on 1/29, watch for many of your favorite Academy Award winners to drop in price, including American Beauty, Out Of Africa, The Deer Hunter, and the movie-only version of Spartacus, which are all now $19.95 each, and Harvey and The Lost Weekend, which will be reduced to $14.95 a pop.
That's nice and all, especially since it's on the Oscar-winners.
But I've been waiting for price drops on the highly overpriced Collector's Editions for quite some time now.
A couple of years ago, these were cream-of-the-crop DVD issues, with more supplements than you could shake a stick at. Commentaries, usually. RSDL, too. Well worth a $34.98 SRP. Letterbox, too...though not always anamorphic (Field of Dreams, I believe is a good example).
Nowadays, with 2-disc sets, each of them RSDL and chock-full of supplements (up to "6 hours"!), and with films getting up to 3 and 4 commentary tracks, and street pricing of these at only $20-$25, the Universal CE set is pretty much archaic.
Heck, Gladiator blows away the CE model by itself. And that's old, now.
Yet I can still only find the following titles for $27.99-$31.99 at all brick-and-morter stores. If I'm lucky I run into them for $24.99 once in a while, which is still too high compared to modern supplement-pack-fests:
  • American Graffiti
    Animal House
    Blues Brothers
    Dante's Peak
    Field of Dreams
    The Flintstones
    The Last Starfighter
    Scarface

Other titles that would have been on the list a short time ago are The Thing and Tremors. Both got marked down to a $24.98 list, which means they now street for about twenty bucks. But all that occurred AFTER I picked up the Tremors/Tremors 2 double-pack for $28, and found a pristine-looking used copy of The Thing for just $7.99!!!
Fate has also brought my way "mint" used copies of MOST of the others on that list up there: Dante's Peak & Flintstones for $14.99 on the same day, Scarface for just $8.50 at a garage sale of all things, and Christmas gift for Animal House and a Valentine's Day gift for Blues Brothers (though it cost my wife $28 each for those two, instead of costing me...grrr).
We still want American Graffiti, Field of Dream, and Last Starfighter. We're just not willing to pay $28+ buckaroos for 'em!
I urge Universal to lower their prices on these puppies. Does anyone else agree that it's about time?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I gotta say though these still beat laserdisc prices- "Daylight" was the first DVD I got when I bought my player; I paid $35 for it which was higher than average but since it was the same contents as an LD set that cost around $80, I was still thankful. What made me mad was when Fox first started putting out DVDs of movie-only editions at $35! THAT was totally uncalled for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks