What's new

Universal preps 'Flower Drum Song' for November (1 Viewer)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
All I can say is WHAT TOOK SO LONG FOR THIS TO FINALLY ARRIVE ON DVD ??
I saw the revival and it was SPECTACULAR on Broadway as few years back.
It was AMAZING. Universal is so SLOW in releasing its BEST VINTAGE FILMS.
This one is finally coming, I AM THRILLED BEYOND BELIEF !!!!!!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Yep, months ago actually. Didn't give the eact date but had lots of information on the special edition including the audio specs, and the fact there would be interviews more than likely contained within a making-of featurette.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Was confused by the spelling of the URL. Didn't realize Haines-His-Way had anything to do with the musings of Bruce Kimmel and nothing to do with the underwear manufacturer. My mistake.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
While FLOWER DRUM SONG is all well and good, I am more curious about the 2 disc versions of SOUTH PACIFIC, KING AND I and CAROUSEL. Where has it been announced that these will be released in Region 1 this November? Thanks.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yes, I too would like confirmation on the Fox november release dates, as a recent search yielded nothing.
Good news about "Flower Drum"...a sweet little movie...perhaps not as well known, but enjoyable.

One of my local stations in south texas re-ran "Flower Drum" on many a Saturday afternoon when I was growing up in the late 70's/early 80's.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Rodgers was such a stickler, he even had Juanita Hall dubbed in SOUTH PACIFIC, even though she was a singer and had sung the part in the original Broadway cast. However, Hall sings for herself in FDS, although she wasn't given much to sing.

To AlanP -- The so-called revival of this show wasn't really a revival -- it was a total rewrite, with the old songs crammed into a whole new story. If you liked the new version, you may not like the real thing, because a lot of people who liked the real thing hated the new version.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
To AlanP -- The so-called revival of this show wasn't really a revival -- it was a total rewrite, with the old songs crammed into a whole new story. If you liked the new version, you may not like the real thing, because a lot of people who liked the real thing hated the new version.[/quote]

Thanks,
I LOVE BOTH !!!!!!!!
I LOVE ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH ASIA !!!!!!!!!!!!
"FLOWER DRUM SONG" is my FAVE MUSICAL !!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVED LEA SALONGA in the REVIVAL/REWRITE.
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT DID NOT DO WELL ON BROADWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!
LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
From what I heard, the new version was changed drastically. I don't believe that Rodgers and Hammerstein spent their time perfecting something to have it changed, frankly I am surprised that the Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization allowed it. I can't say if it was good or bad, I never saw it. I was sad to see that it didn't do a national tour, so the chances of seeing any version on a stage now seem very slim, unfortunately. The orchestrations of the new Broadway version just don't live up to Robert Russell Bennett's original Broadway orchestrations. I am sure there are some that liked it better. It sure didn't last very long on Broadway, didn't even get a Tony nomination for best revival, which prevented a scene from being shown on the awards show.

I am surprised Universal waited so long. Maybe on the same date they will release another great musical, Pirates of Penzance, which also remains unreleased on dvd, or in widescreen (2:35:1) in any video format.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I know, and it's theme is immigration from HONG KONG.
So, it's close enough for me !!!!!!!!
:))))))))))))
Alan

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Well, that's the NEW version's theme, maybe. It's just a part of the real "Flower Drum Song." The main theme of the real FDS is the clash of cultures and generations, where the young folk (and the aunt) want to become Americanized and the old man is getting disgusted with them.

I've loved FDS for over 40 years. I wanted to marry Miyoshi Umeki.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
OH MY GOD....I like the cover art (though I liked the blue laserdisc cover better which had the actual poster art). After waiting since the beginning of DVD, it's finally a reality. My most eagerly awaited unreleased classic movie. And imagine, a 5.1 special edition...something I have rarely seen Universal do with a classic in their library. Now I hate to learn to bite my nails to bide the time before November. I can finally say, thanks Universal:).

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP

ROBERT,
I am with YOU A 100 PER CENT, I CAN HARDLY WAIT, THE ANTICIPATION IS THE SAME, I FELT, WHEN, THEY FINALLY RELEASED THAT HAMMER COLLECTION !!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM ECSTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOW MUCH LONGER ??????????????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks