What's new

Universal preparing THE MARX BROTHERS and MOVIE MONSTERS 2 COLLECTIONS and MORE for HD! (2 Viewers)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
To partially answer the "Why is Universal working on ONE-EYED JACKS" question...

The wall that has been hit multiple times on the lack of activity on the movie has been Paramount's curious insistence that they do not own it, despite having put it out on videocassette and laserdisc (the nicely letterboxed LD being the source for almost all subsequent PD DVD bootlegs that have followed). When pressed, they would claim that Universal owns it, but in turn when approached to book the film or for other confirmations, Universal often denied having it either.

After multiple conversations with a genial representative of the Brando estate, what I was able to piece together is that because of the debt incurred from self-financing the film through his Pennebaker Productions company, Brando effectively sold the company to Universal in exchange for a five picture contract in order to finish it. And Brando did make those five films (THE UGLY AMERICAN, BEDTIME STORY, THE APPALOOSA, A COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG, and THE NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING DAY). As such, while I am not a lawyer or have had further contact with the estate, this would seem to be the logic: Paramount's distribution rights expired after so many years, and whereas it would have reverted to Brando himself, because of that bailout it went to Universal. At the time of our chat, though, he said Universal was still pleading ignorance, to which I suggested that they should follow the same path that William Friedkin did with SORCERER (which also involved a Paramount/Universal mutual denial): File a lawsuit against both studios, so that during the discovery process, they would be forced to dig for any and all paperwork to confirm ownership.

Now, I have no idea if that was done or not. But, the fact that this trustworthy source is saying that Universal is participating with Film Foundation on this project, again, reason suggests that the matter has been resolved.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
Dick, I am not saying anything that all of us already know...

Universal has been the absolute worst studio when it comes to their releases.

They have been steadily improving over the past three years or more, but now, I think they are starting to really excel.

Bravo to them! It's about time!
From my point of view, they will excel when they release It Came from Outer Space in 3D. Throw in Revenge of the Creature 3D too. And while they're at it fix the 3D problems on Creature from the Black Lagoon too. I would rebuy that too.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I wonder if that lawsuit thing would work with Fright Night Part II :) Nobody knows who owns the film and nobody is claiming it, which leaves us fans of the film pulling out hair in frustration. Maybe someone should just release a bootleg of it. The return address of the cease-and-desist letter should provide a clue

Toby Roan

Auditioning
Real Name
Toby Roan
I've been researching One-Eyed Jacks for almost 10 years for a book on it — and the story from Brando himself to someone at Paramount is that it was all done with Paramount's money — they even supposedly covered Pennebaker's costs from the years spent developing a Western. They stuck with it as it became a bigger and bigger money pit, and they'd promised Brando a huge chunk of the profits.

The idea that it was self-financed is a new one, and I'd love to find out more about it.

Mark Edward Heuck said:
To partially answer the "Why is Universal working on ONE-EYED JACKS" question...

The wall that has been hit multiple times on the lack of activity on the movie has been Paramount's curious insistence that they do not own it, despite having put it out on videocassette and laserdisc (the nicely letterboxed LD being the source for almost all subsequent PD DVD bootlegs that have followed). When pressed, they would claim that Universal owns it, but in turn when approached to book the film or for other confirmations, Universal often denied having it either.

After multiple conversations with a genial representative of the Brando estate, what I was able to piece together is that because of the debt incurred from self-financing the film through his Pennebaker Productions company, Brando effectively sold the company to Universal in exchange for a five picture contract in order to finish it. And Brando did make those five films (THE UGLY AMERICAN, BEDTIME STORY, THE APPALOOSA, A COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG, and THE NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING DAY). As such, while I am not a lawyer or have had further contact with the estate, this would seem to be the logic: Paramount's distribution rights expired after so many years, and whereas it would have reverted to Brando himself, because of that bailout it went to Universal. At the time of our chat, though, he said Universal was still pleading ignorance, to which I suggested that they should follow the same path that William Friedkin did with SORCERER (which also involved a Paramount/Universal mutual denial): File a lawsuit against both studios, so that during the discovery process, they would be forced to dig for any and all paperwork to confirm ownership.

Now, I have no idea if that was done or not. But, the fact that this trustworthy source is saying that Universal is participating with Film Foundation on this project, again, reason suggests that the matter has been resolved.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news! While I have mad love for the Marx Brothers (and will eventually buy them), I'm really itching for a Universal Monsters 2 set. That is as no-brain or a no-brainer as you can get.

Although - interesting, only just those five? Just Ghost of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, House of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein and House of Dracula? No Invisible Man sequels? No Mummy sequels? She-Wolf of London? The Abbot and Costello vs flicks? The Creature Walks Among Us?

I wonder if that means all the other movies are in good enough shape to release as-is, or if they're waiting for Universal Monsters Volume 3?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
poster-house-of-frankenstein_02.jpg

When you do the Frankenstein film series the Wolfman (or the Wolf Man) is automatically part of the package so it's really two monsters series in one.

Both the Frankenstein Monster and the Wolfman are arguably the most popular monsters in the Universal Pictures classic gallery of horrors.

Naturally SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939) and THE HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944) tops my list of favourites in the announcements.

It will be nice to see the main opening title from FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943) without that annoying sliced break (and "pop" on the soundtrack) that is so prevalent with what is currently being circulated.

I have to be honest. I favour the MGM Marx Brothers where they have "matured" in age (and wit) over their earlier Paramount films which are just too broadly (anything-for-a-laugh) silly and too old fashioned for my own taste.

frank--wolf.png

Jeff T.

:D

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Instead of a monsters volume 2 I would guess they are doing a Frankenstein set considering the titles. Which would probably mean a Mummy, and Invisible man set would follow, Dracula would only have 2 more films.
Tony J Case said:
Excellent news! While I have mad love for the Marx Brothers (and will eventually buy them), I'm really itching for a Universal Monsters 2 set. That is as no-brain or a no-brainer as you can get.

Although - interesting, only just those five? Just Ghost of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, House of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein and House of Dracula? No Invisible Man sequels? No Mummy sequels? She-Wolf of London? The Abbot and Costello vs flicks? The Creature Walks Among Us?

I wonder if that means all the other movies are in good enough shape to release as-is, or if they're waiting for Universal Monsters Volume 3?

EManT2200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leon
I really hope these 4K restorations lead us into a complete Universal Monsters Legacy set blu-ray release. I own the dvd Legacy sets, and even since I started buying blu-rays, those classic horror films have been at the very top of my blu-ray wish list. Since, I'll be moving up to a projector and 130" screen soon, that will make me want those even more now, LOL.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've been looking at the cheapo Mummy sequels DVD's (Tomb is a bore, but Ghost & Curse are fun), & I have to say they do look good. The same with the "Hope/Crosby Road To" films, probably more processed than a new transfer, but a clean picture & good greyscale. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy the Blu-rays in a heartbeat, but meanwhile the DVD's will do, it might be a different matter if you're projecting them.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I can't see Universal selling Horse Feathers on BD with the music lesson scene in the condition it is in, all the missing frames, audio, & jump cuts, unless something was unearthed, I'll bet its for broadcast only.

Interesting 2 of the 5 made for television Desperado movies were mentioned... I would think if you're working on 2 you'd do all 5...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm enthusiastic about all of this, but more Sternberg and James Whale should be more than welcome. They were among the great director/stylists of the era.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks