What's new

Universal preparing THE MARX BROTHERS and MOVIE MONSTERS 2 COLLECTIONS and MORE for HD! (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I hope Universal carry on with their great b/w work with all those Bob Hope films (including the Road To movies), & they don't give them to Criterion, but release them themselves, that way they'll be at a good price & multi-region.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Whoops! I should have said the Universal Archive. How active are they in releasing vintage titles, at present, anyway?

CHEERS! :)

It appears the most recent releases were in November of last year. Just search Amazon for Universal Vault.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I can't imagine that Universal (or any studio) would go to the expense of a 4K restoration of KING OF JAZZ, which inspired write-ups in the New York Times and the Washington Post, and even a new book outlining the film's history and restoration, and then relegate the film to its Universal Vault collection.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I just hope that Universal tries to start releasing some MOD blus soon. I know a number of their films that I would like on blu, but that (as far as I can guess) don't have that great of a chance of coming out to retail, so my main hopes are that they license those films out to somebody or release them as MODs (and maybe it would be a way to get Remember The Night back out for those who missed it, or the cancelled The Egg and I, since they would already have HD masters).

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
Speaking of the Marx brothers I hope Warners releases the MGM Marx films on blu ray soon. I really want to replace the cut DVD of At the Circus. I never did find out why they relased a cut version of this film on DVD when they released it uncut on VHS and Laserdisc. Its missing one of the funniest scenes where Chico explains why marriage is like a 3 ring circus when he is sending the telegram. I'm not sure if there are any other missing scenes but that scene missing makes watching the DVD a huge disappointment. Hopefully this scene will be restored when it comes out on Blu-Ray otherwise I will need to repurchase this film on Laserdisc since I sold mine a long time ago.

I have spent the last two and half years asking Marx fans and authors around the world about this and not one person recalls this joke...I've asked people who posses VHS, beta, laserdisc and 16mm prints of the film to check, wanting to give the benefit of the doubt, but it's nowhere to be found.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wonder why they would have used BD50 then . Universal does things pretty cheaply .

Good question.

I dunno. Maybe they are better encoded. You would have to find someone to put both the new singles and the original boxed discs side-by-side.

In most cases, studios just repackage what they already have. I don't think any of us who already own the boxed set are looking to repurchase these singles just because there's the off-chance they might look slightly better -- and that's still yet to be seen.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Good question.

I dunno. Maybe they are better encoded. You would have to find someone to put both the new singles and the original boxed discs side-by-side.

In most cases, studios just repackage what they already have. I don't think any of us who already own the boxed set are looking to repurchase these singles just because there's the off-chance they might look slightly better -- and that's still yet to be seen.
There are quite a few people who have bought them on the bluray.com forum to have them for there nice covers , And they own the box set . Not 1 person will answer this question when they own both over there , Strange people . I was tempted but it just doesn't make much sense to spend so much .

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There are quite a few people who have bought them on the bluray.com forum to have them for there nice covers , And they own the box set . Not 1 person will answer this question when they own both over there , Strange people . I was tempted but it just doesn't make much sense to spend so much .

I love The Marx Brothers and those single boxes have fantastic artwork.

It's a tough choice, however, considering repurchasing just for the artwork. If someone were to come out and say that these are new encodes and they look noticeably better it would be an easier choice.

If you happen to see such a statement made anywhere else, please come back and let us know.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve

It's a tough choice, however, considering repurchasing just for the artwork. If someone were to come out and say that these are new encodes and they look noticeably better it would be an easier choice.

If you happen to see such a statement made anywhere else, please come back and let us know.
For sure , I will . That's what I have been waiting for . They would be a instant buy if they have any improvement . The covers are gorgeous . Looking forward to ADATR coming out next week ,but going to wait for a little price drop , All the WA dip a little after the release . Hope the last few MGM ones follow this year .

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Even though I like those covers I'm not double dipping for them as I box everything for in-house "storage" and use an index system to know which tote to open for a particular film. No one would see that cover but me and then only when I'm taking it out for a rewatch. I'll come closer to double-dipping to reduce the package size than anything.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
We have been BEGGING Universal for a Marx Brothers Blu-ray collection for years.

I knew the elements were in bad shape. Looks like Universal took their time with this and we may see an exceptional release of their very best films.

I really don't like anything made after their Universal period. That includes A NIGHT AT THE OPERA. Still pale to to Horsefeathers, Duck Soup and Monkey Business. Those three films are the crown jewels of the Marx Brothers' movie career.
I do like the MGM releases, but I will say I like the earlier Paramount ones much more.

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I hope Universal carry on with their great b/w work with all those Bob Hope films (including the Road To movies), & they don't give them to Criterion, but release them themselves, that way they'll be at a good price & multi-region.
Others can weigh in but I can't see Criterion releasing a Bob Hope film. I'm not sure anything he did meets their criteria (ha.) So you have nothing to fear but Criterion itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks