What's new

Universal: Please release XANADU on blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I've seen this mentioned in other unrelated threads, so I thought I would bring it out into a thread of its own.
Xanadu is a fun little movie with a great soundtrack. I caught the last 30 minutes on a Showtime channel, and could not stop watching. I'll probably pull out the DVD and watch the whole thing, but this movie needs to be in high-definition.
Is anyone else interested?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Gene Kelly has the distinction of being in the best (Singin' In the Rain) and worst (Xandadu) big budget musicals; I love them both, but one is entirely a guilty pleasure.
Looking forward to seeing Olivia and the other muses coming alive in HD!!!

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Donnie
One of my top five films wanted on Blu!!!
XANADU!!! Please Universal. Also... DEATH BECOMES HER!!!!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw this in the ABC Shaftsbury Ave in London in 4- Track Magnetic Stereo in screen 2 , in screen 1 was Gone with the wind in 70mm, those were the days.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've never seen Xanadu bt always have wanted to.
I see its up on amazon streaming in HD so I might check it out.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Count me in! Any developments since 2012? The movie is available in HD from Xfinity, so shouldn't that make a blu-ray a likelihood in the near future?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'm told more people bought the original soundtrack LP than actually saw the movie. I actually had the 8-track! I didn't actually see the film till circa 1985 on HBO.

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Donnie
My top want on blu ray movie! Love it! I screen every summer in the dead of August. Beautiful to watch, beautiful to listen to, beautiful escapism.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. I'm still hoping that someone (read Twilight Time) might release the other two "roller disco" flicks from this era, Skatetown USA and Roller Boogie to complete "the devil's unholy trilogy of godawful Eighties roller disco flicks meant to destroy mankind's collective sense of good taste once and for all". Particularily Skatetown USA since that has never had a VHS, DVD or LaserDisc release.

Links:
Patrick Swayze's Roller Disco Number on Skatetown USA (YouTube)
Skatetown USA Trailer
iVillage Article on Skatetown USA
OddCulture (Worst Movies Ever Made) Article.
BuzzFeed Article on Skatetown USA

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Kyrsten Brad said:
Brad here. I'm still hoping that someone (read Twilight Time) might release the other two "roller disco" flicks from this era, Skatetown USA and Roller Boogie to complete "the devil's unholy trilogy of godawful Eighties roller disco flicks meant to destroy mankind's collective sense of good taste once and for all". Particularily Skatetown USA since that has never had a VHS, DVD or LaserDisc release.
You can usually tell the people who have never seen Xanadu in their lives; they're the ones who hear "roller skates" and think it IS Skatetown USA. :P

And while I don't know why this was necroposted, around the time that Shout Factory got into 70's-80's pop-horror with Scream Factory, we thought they'd be perfect to spin off an 80's soundtrack-musical line ("Jukebox Factory"?) At least they'd be closer to releasing a Universal title.
But, sadly, cheap jokes like these are the reason we're NOT going to get it any time soon.....Happy now? :(

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
It will of course be released on Blu-Ray now that I just bought the DVD for my wife (one of her guilty pleasures) for Valentine's Day.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Kyrsten Brad said:
Brad here. I'm still hoping that someone (read Twilight Time) might release the other two "roller disco" flicks from this era, Skatetown USA and Roller Boogie to complete "the devil's unholy trilogy of godawful Eighties roller disco flicks meant to destroy mankind's collective sense of good taste once and for all". Particularily Skatetown USA since that has never had a VHS, DVD or LaserDisc release.Links:Patrick Swayze's Roller Disco Number on Skatetown USA (YouTube)Skatetown USA TraileriVillage Article on Skatetown USAOddCulture (Worst Movies Ever Made) Article.BuzzFeed Article on Skatetown USA
Well Brad I agree with you but while their at let's also have THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY on Blu.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Cinescott said:
I think this is a better movie than most people think. The soundtrack is fantastic, and while the clothes and other styles date Xanadu, it is a tremendous time capsule for those of us who remember its theatrical release.
Exactly: Those of us who, ahem, HAVE seen the movie know that, while the script originally started out as a salute to art-deco LA architecture (in two of the deleted scenes, Michael Beck & Livvy visit the Hollywood Bowl and a very pre-restoration Egyptian), when Gene Kelly signed on, all of a sudden the movie was convinced it was an 80's "tribute" to what we thought old MGM musicals were like back then. (We were more naive about classic old movies, in those days.)

Viz:
Keith Cobby said:
Gene Kelly plays Danny McGuire in the 1944 film Cover Girl and in Xanadu he dances with Livvy in the best sequence of the film and, of course, he plays Danny McGuire.
And "an old nightclub owner", at that...Hmm.

There's a brief scene in the "All Over the World" number where Gene Kelly dances through a giant pinball room--I saw his outfit and choreography, did a double-take, and had to rewind just to be sure...Yes, Kelly WAS doing his version of Fred Astaire's "Penny arcade" dance from "The Band Wagon".
That's how this movie was thinking, by the time they finished filming.

("Skatetown USA", whyyy-I-oughta... :rolleyes:
"But, he's like, roller skating, isn't that kitschy and ridiculous?" Oh, certainly--This would only be the, what, FIFTH movie that Gene Kelly ever roller-skated in? Or sixth? And that's counting "That's Entertainment Pt. II".)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
yup......i would find myself purchasing this "hidden treasure" on its day of release on blu.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
People forget that although the movie was not successful, the soundtrack was. It had two #1 singles, and was in the top 5 albums for the year in the US.I hope that if it is released on blu-ray, that Universal is less tight-fisted this time, and allows the deleted scenes to be released that were found before the last DVD came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.