What's new

UNIVERSAL-- please let us know about the corrected Jurassic Park DTS DVD! (1 Viewer)

DanR

Supporting Actor
On the off chance that Universal actually cares and since their marketing and finance departments seem to be asleep on the job, I figured I'd do their job for them. . .
Reposted and edited from my original post in the Software Forum:
They way any rational company SHOULD look at this is as follows (and this is back of the envelope here with very quick data):
1)I have ~24 Universal DVDs after 4 years of Collecting, which is ~6 discs per year.
2)Universal's margin per disc is ~ $11-13 per disc; this should be pretty close to actual.
3)6 * 12 ~ $72 contribution margin to Universal per year from me.
4)Assumption: No matter what the video format is, the margin has to be assumed to be the same; we can't speculate on the DVD-succesor's margin (though we should assume it would actually be more once it reaches maturity, otherwise what incentive would the studio have to support the "new" format?). I'm a collector, and will collect indefinitely until I die, say 45 years from now.
5)$72 per year for 45 years discounted @ the 30 year rate of 5.64% gives a value of ~ $1,150 of me as a lifetime customer to Universal.
So, I'm worth $1,150 to Universal in terms of today. Basically, my lifetime value to Universal as a customer is $1,150 in today's $.
I'm not buying anymore Universal DVDs until they stand by their product. So they just "lost" ~ $1,150 because I am no longer their customer.
6)How much does it cost Universal to press and author the new disc, $2? $3? Add in shipping via USPS Priority Mail @ ~$3 for a total of $6 cost to replace a JP DTS DVD.
Final Result:
By not replacing my Jurassic Park DTS, Universal has just "cost" themselves ~ $1,144 (i.e. -$1,150 loss of me as a customer plus the $6 they "save" by not replacing my JP DTS).
[I'm not extending them the courtesy of signing my name until they extend courtesy to me as a customer]

Ken_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I completely agree, Universal, please make the new JP DVDs DTS and add the same extras as before, along with a lot more (oops, rhymed there
wink.gif
)....

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I too, would like to see Universal own up to this blunder and inform us, the consumers of the corrected versions.
I am extremely disappointed that Universal won't admit the faux pas and I will boycott their titles until they do the right thing. Universal: give us some way to know which is the corrected version, please.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I bought the Jurassic Park DTS DVD and was disapointed by the sound quality which pales in comparison to other titles. I am extremely disturbed by Universal's handling of the situation by screwing the customers who bought the defective version. Please give us some sort of indication on the packaging so we can ID the remastered version.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do not understand why it is so difficult for Universal to admit they had a defect and correct the problem. I have purchased three defective DVD's from other studios -- Never Say Never Again (MGM), Leon - The Professional (Columbia/Tristar) and Cleopatra (Fox). In each case, the studio owned up to its mistake and offered a method of replacing the defective product. Any honorable company would do this.
Come on, Universal. This problem should not be difficult to handle.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 10

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Are there really any rep from Universal reading this ? Do we know them officially ?
As for the evidence of the PROBLEM, we have it but given the potential legal matter, i won't comment any further for now.
rolleyes.gif

Better call Steven Spielberg instead. Anyone ?
biggrin.gif

Dan B

Screenwriter
Don't forget that there are also people like myself who have not yet purchased this movie and will not until the corrected version can be identified.
-Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Please keep this going guys!
It's the precedence that Universal is setting that troubles me the most. We need their response!
Thanks for the efforts so far.
Dan

DanR

Supporting Actor
Dan,
Don't worry; this is not going away until we get a response from Universal about our faulty discs. If they're going to "screw" us (and people who will unknowingly buy the faulty copeis left at retailers), I want them to do it upfront and right to our faces, not this behind the back or under the table trick they're doing now.
This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm going to try to bring this to the attention of Amblin Entertainment (i.e. Steven Spielberg). I think David Alexander is right: I don't think Amblin would be too happy about this.
I want closure on this
Regards,
Dan

Aaron Carr

Agent
Just wanted to add my name to this list to let Universal know that I won't let them just sweep this under the rug and forget about it. I've already contacted DTS and I posted the answers to the questions I asked about this issue in the software forum. I'm not asking Universal for a recall of any kind I would simply like to be able to tell the diffence in packaging between the *NEW* repressed disc and the proven mis-mastered disc.
Aaron

Real Name
John Haghighi
Why don't you start labeling your dts dvd releases with a warning sticker:
"INFERIOR AUDIO MASTERING INSIDE"
Not addressing this issue only proves that you truly are a UNIVERSAL !@#$^&*@!#%&^!
I am officially no longer purchasing any of your companies titles and I'm going to make sure everyone I know with a DVD player does the same until you address this issue.
Furthermore, I am now using the MUMMY UE as a coaster alongside my free AOhelL discs. What a shame because that was actually a good disc.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'm behind this all the way and fail to grasp Universal's stuborn attitude in confessing they messed up. I forced to question their want of respect and trust from the consumer.
Dan (UK)
------------------
Visit: Link Removed

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
They may, but like to keep quiet as Churchmice. :)
I say they should drop their guard and come to the party. Shouldn't we all treat each other (studios and their customers) with respect? Why do so many studios treat their loyal customers with contempt?
Dan

Werner H

Grip
I too want to know why a company would go through the trouble of redoing a disc and not let anyone know. How the hell can you purchase what you don't know what you'll get.
I also can't believe that no one with insider info can't get to the bottom of this by now.
C'mon Universal many want to have this disc. What more do you need.
Thanks

Peter_A

Second Unit
I'll jump on this too. C'mon Universal, give the consumer what they want!
------------------
Peter
"If rubbin' dirt in your crotch is wrong, hey I don't wanna be right" - Futurama

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Richard,
Thanks for the tip. Let's just hope that (DTS) on the security sticker means what we think it means...
Dan

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I too would like the new version. Unfiortunatley Future Shop in Canada has a 30 day rule for returns. I am not sure I could prove to them that my versions are "faulty", and actually I am quite sure they have stock of the old ones so I am no better off.
1. WHY wont Universal do this for us? They need a head check.
2. WHY has Ron not done something on our behalf, he surely must have some pull, he is THE man after all?
Come on Ron help us out!
The stores should not be the ones taking the hit here...
Makes me sad I bought the DTS version.
------------------
Doug Wright
"I'm packing you an extra pair of shoes and your ANGRY eyes."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks