What's new

UNIVERSAL-- please let us know about the corrected Jurassic Park DTS DVD! (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Universal,
Now that you are hopefully totally correcting the mis-mastered DTS version of Jurassic Park (please do so for The Lost World too) I would beseech you to indicate somewhere on the DVD's labeled security sticker that it is the corrected version. Do something like MGM did for the James Bond discs: ****JURASSIC PARK - DTS**** or something bold like that, which is completely different from the current bad DVDs, to tip us off that we are buying the right discs.
It is only fair to your customers who unwittingly bought clearly defective discs; myself included. If you make a mistake, own up to it, take the criticism like professionals, and then correct the situation.
Thank you.
Dan
------------------
Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

DanR

Supporting Actor
I second that motion. For you to not make good on discs we bought last year would be a mistake. You need to look at the big picture here, and our lifetime value to you as customers.
If you "sneak" a new DTS version into the market as part of the same DVD package (i.e. same product and SKU), I would have to reconsider ever purchasing another Universal DVD ever again.
Proceed with caution; do the right thing.
Regards,
Dan

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Bringing this one back up. After getting the Lost World graphed, that one needs help as well. Although in that case, the Dolby Digital one needs it the most.
Please Universal, just a simple asterisk on the package or something. Those of us who care shouldn't be shunned like this.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

I agree... even if you won't recall and replace the discs yourselves, at least allow us enthusiests the opportunity to knowingly purchase the corrected version when we look for it in the stores. As someone else brought up, just putting some asteriks on the top sticker would suffice.
Because this is a great film (and a historical one for DTS), I'm willing to shell out more money, but I want to know that what I'm picking up is the corrected disc!
------------------
Nate Thompson

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Universal,
Like mentioned above, all you have to do is add some of these to the security label (**********). Thats it, real simple. No going through extra costs to have new packaging reprinted with new text and catalog numbers. A simple * is all it takes. At least let the people willing to give you more money, repurchase the disc, knowing they are getting the right one.
Thank you.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

GregK

Screenwriter
Yeah!!!! ...What they said! :)
Universal.. Help me to help you! I would like to
pick up the correct DTS version and sell off my
DD version, but if you can't tell me that I'm buying
the newer version or not, I guess you won't get my
money a second time.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Universal:
I feel that the right thing to do would be to offer a replacement disc for owners of the original DTS release, as well as making a subtle change to the artwork so consumers will be able to tell the newer version from the old.
I understand that replacing the old discs might not be possible... But please at least make it possible to tell the difference between the new and old release for people that want to re-purchase this title.
Thank You,
Lane

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Dear Universal;
Please stop denying the soundtrack issues with these dvd's. Please issue the corrected versions with the improved soundtracks. To cover up this, is very unprofessional and will eventually steer your consumers away foorm your products.
Again I request; Please issue replacement DVD's for JP & LW,
OR acknowledge that their are corrected versions in the market place today and they have a distinguishing mark so we the consumer, can spend more money with your company in order to buy our own replacement discs.
Thank You.
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

DanR

Supporting Actor
The way I see it, Universal has two options (in order of preference to displeased consumers):

1.)Allow those with the original to call a # and trade in for the "silenty corrected" version, which has the same SKU (and is thus the "same" product).

2.)Distinguish the packaging so that we can replace it ourselves (if Universal going to be so "shady" about this whole issue).

As of today, I have no confidence in Universal product or their business practices. Until that confidence is restored, I have placed all planned Universal DVD purchases on indefinite hold. This is beyond the $20; it is an issue with the way they've handled this. It is truly a shame that a studio I used to hold in high regard and from whom I have purchased over 20 excellent DVDs has done this. Lifetime Value of DanR as a customer = $0. Great job Universal Home Video.

[I don't even owe these guys the courtesy of signing my name here, so I won't.]

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I thought the customer was always right! Come on Universal, common sense states: "We should offer the previouse owners of Jurassic Park some satisfaction...". Is it too much to ask for at least some sort of sticker on the outside of the packaging in which states "This movie contains the full LFE track" or at least something of that nature. I'm not begging for a replacement, although that would be GREAT. However, we would at least like to know which copy of the movie is which.
I own both the LD and the DVD. I find myself watching my DTS Laserdisc of Jurassic Park more than the DVD. To be completly honest... The only time I have even looked at the DVD was to do an A/B comparision to find out the the LD was superior to the DVD.
Please, with all due respects to the reputable Universal company and to the customeras as well. I'm begging you... Pretty please, with a cherry on top: Have some sort of marking on the package stating that this is the NEW print of Jurassic Park! And... If at all possible, replace the old copies of the DVD to consumers eagerly awaiting this reprint!
Thanks for your time,
- John Besse
------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
We appreciate that this has been something of a contraversial issue. Whether you or the public sees it as correcting a mistake or merely offering a 'new version' is irrelevent and inconsequential. Please make the newer version identifiable in some small way.
Jurassic Park is one of the highest grossing movies of all time and is one of your best sellers. Please do not deny that you are releasing a new pressing of the film with a different DTS soundtrack.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
There should be an exchange program,I don't see any other way.
Consumers shouldn't have to beg for what they should've gotten right at the first place!
Smart up Universal!
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you guys have said everything that could be said. I wish a Universal and DTS rep would read this though.
I still believe we should have a website such as dvdfile or widescreen or the HTF do some sort of article or headline or editorial in order to create a real visibility.
If the problem had been with FOX, we could have had our voices heard by Peter for instance.
In this case, I don't know since every evidence point to a hidden agenda, ie, LET'S NOT MAKE WAVES WITH THIS, SHALL WE? , ( voice of Universal ). Given the fact those dvds surely have been sold massively ( more than a million dvds I presume ), there's not much incentive here to create a commercial backlash for the studio ( recalls for instance ).
I pretty sure imagine we'll remain on our own unless Spielberg does something
biggrin.gif
for his baby.
When you think about it, this is INCREDIBLE: the first DTS movie totally messed up on dvd........
it's even more frustrating since we now have the scientific evidences of the problem(s) ("s" for LW dvd too, different) thanks to Bjoern's superb graphs.
So, Universal, from a little consumer who buys many Universal dvds and has a lot of lds ( including JP and LW ) and plans to continue being a good customer, do something.
If anyone is reading this.......
rolleyes.gif

------------------
my ht...
http://www.photopoint.com/visitalbums/
enter my email: [email protected]

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
I agree! This is already tiresome, and is truly the wrong way to treat customers. I expect this issue to be resolved but absolutely WILL NOT pay again for something I should already have (as Lewis said).

greg_t

Screenwriter
I also ask Universal to give us a way of spotting the new dts JP dvd. We all know that this new pressing exists, so please provide us a way of identifiying it. I do not ask for a recall, as I for one still wish to keep my original pressing. I will be purchasing the remastered version, but not until I have a way to distinguish it from the old, or I am sure that all of the old version is out of circulation.
Universal, do your customers right and acknowledge that this issue exists.
Greg T

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I can add nothing new to what has already been said in the above posts. But I do want to add my voice to this thread so that Universal knows that we would like a corrected version 1) identifiable, and 2) some form of replacement offer for those of us who bought the incorrect/old version.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Perhaps something could be done with this thread to get it in a more public place as to put a little heat on Universal. I'm thinking something similar to what the Digital Bits and DVD File did with the SW petition. IF that's possible, I'd most certainly offer my support.
Come on Universal, you know you want to do the right thing.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

JoeyP

Auditioning
(my orignal post just got deleted
frown.gif
)
I never bought JP or LW on DVD, but I can't believe what I'm reading here!
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what has happened:
A) The DVD cover is labelled as being DTS, when in fact it is not.
B) Universal is going to create a corrected version of this DVD.
C) The people who shelled out the money for the first (mislabeled) DVD are more or less screwed. If they want the correct version of the film they thought they were purchasing, they need to pay again.
IS THAT LEGAL????
If I've understood everything correctly, isn't that extremely illegal?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
JoeyP,
Not quite. The DTS labeled Jurassic Park (and The Lost World, but that's another story) is encoded as DTS, however the master that they used has screwed up, low bass levels and less dynamic range than the DTS LD (which was stellar!).
DTS was unhappy and Universal asked if they would correct their mistake. DTS did (or had Universal use the 5.1 master for the DTS LD).
The discs have been repressed with this corrected track, yet Universal will not own up to the problem or give us any indication on the case (a sticker, an asterisk, etc.) that the disc contains the improved track. Basically, you go to a store and you have no idea which DTS disc you're buying. A crap shoot.
MGM, Fox, and a few other studios have confessed to making a few Q.C. errors and have taken responsibility and made amends in most cases (MGM made an indication on the top security stickers as to which discs were re-mastered and corrected). Universal does not seem to feel the customer should be informed and looks like may have made DTS keep it quiet too (this last little part is my own hunch).
According to an e-mail I was made aware of, apparently DTS can't even indicate on their website they're selling the corrected versions in their on-line store (when they get a new supply of discs from Universal) unless Universal says otherwise (which they haven't).
So, even buying directly from the company (Digital Theater Systems Inc.) that encoded and supervised the theatrical release 5.1 Jurassic Park soundtrack (the movie that introduced us to DTS Digital Sound in the first place), and the superb DTS LD, gives us no security!
The whole handling of the situation stinks.
Dan

GregK

Screenwriter
> So, even buying directly from the company (Digital
> Theater Systems Inc.) that encoded and supervised
> the theatrical release 5.1 Jurassic Park soundtrack
> (the movie that introduced us to DTS Digital Sound
> in the first place), and the superb DTS LD, gives us
> no security!
Dan's right in that DTS may not be able to tell us if
they're selling the corrected version, but I have a very
strong hunch they will never sell the older version again.
If I remember correctly, they had removed JP from their
on-line store a few months ago, and I doubt they will sell
copies of JP that DTS themselves were not happy with..
After all, it's well known *they* weren't happy with the
DTS DVD. They have a lot of respect for Jurassic Park,
as it's the film that first put DTS on the map. I think
this is why DTS pulled JP from their site, because DTS
of course knew a repressing was in the works. So the
*only* place I'll ever buy a DTS copy of Jurassic Park
is from DTS themselves. I'm not offended by DTS's silence,
as they are at Universal's whim on this issue. DTS has
made mistakes before, but I don't consider this as one
of them.
Universal had the right idea regarding a DTS repress,
but like Dan already said: "The whole handling of the situation stinks."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks