What's new

Universal players : My head is spinning! (1 Viewer)

dave wright

Agent
Real Name
Dave Wright
Im ready to upgrade.Looking to play sacd,dvda,mp3 discs as well as above average video.After reading threads for weeks all over the net ive come to the conclusion that ill have to wait........until SOMEONE can put out a product with NO chroma bugs NO bass management issues NO skipping jumping or popping CAN play both sacd and dvda.

VERY frustrating,Is there a unit out there that im missing for under $700??

Dean_S

Second Unit
What bad things have you heard about the Onkyo 802 changer ($450) and big brother in the Integra line??? I have the Onkyo and use it daily, I'm happy with the picture and sound but I don't use bass management since and have all my speakers set to large and I rarely ever turn on my sub (I live in an apartment and only use the sub for movies that I watch early in the evening or daytime).

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think the Denon 2200 has all of those bases covered as well, although it does not do time alignment for SACD.

I think the new Denon 2910 (may have gotten that model number wrong, maybe the 3910?????) was tested in S&V it it actually had good BM and it did TA for ALL formats. That is a first, IIRC. But I think it would exceed your price point.

BGL

Daniel-S

Auditioning
Im in the same boat although my price point is lower as in $500. Onkyo 802 has all the features I think I need but havent been able to get accurate info on regular CD playback sound quality or what DACs it has. Anyone know? I do know that it's video is claimed to be mediocre...I had heard/read that 2200 does not do regular CDs very well....

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The Marantz DV6400 (if you can find one) won't do time alignment on SACD, but will otherwise do everything you ask. I own one and can vouch for its hi-res audio quality. (I don't have a prog scan capable TV so can't comment there) but the interlaced picture is quite nice. Does CDs well. Haven't tried any mp3s in it. No popping, skipping, jumping or other mechanical playback issues.

Bob Lvl

Grip
My recommendation ... find a Naim dealer and check out the new Naim DVD5 (it is in such hot demand it may be hard to find a demo at this point in time). For video quality it blows the socks off most DVD players on the market today, including some costing more. It certainly out performs any players I have seen. I spent well over an hour watching DVD's on this player and was blown away by the quality. Funds permiting I hope to pick up one early next month.

And it has the CD audio quality to match.

Postives ... built like a tank! Faroudja DCDi de-interlacing. DVI. Picture adjustment. Lip sync. Coax and Digital Optical outputs (2 each).

Negatives ... it only has DVD-A. And it is not cheap ... with the DVD-A board it runs around CA$6000.

And they have a Faroudja scaler upgrade card coming later this year, that scales to 720p and 1080P!:)

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
I have not had any issues with my Yamaha S2300, The new 2500 model is due out very soon and if they have built it right it might be a player worth a serious look, MSRP is suppose to be $749.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Yamaha C750 plays all disc's and bass management and is 5 disc. $299

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks