universal player connections

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by chris d., May 31, 2004.

1. chris d.

chris d. Auditioning

looking to buy a universal player from denon. either the 2200 or the 3800. Have a 3801 receiver. how does the connections work.I read something about needing 6 different cables. Someone please explain the whole set-up. what will i need to listen to dvd-a and sacd? Thanks

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

you CAN listen to both those formats, in hirez, in 2-channel mode, utilizing only a single pair of analog rca cables, but to fully enjoy multi-channel hirez music, you'll need at least 5 analog cables; 6 if you're like most folks and run a subwoofer. you'll connect the 6-channel analog outputs (FL, FR, C, SR, SL, SUB) from the player to the corresponding "EXT. inputs" on the receiver.

3 pairs (3x2) of analog rca audio cables will work fine. so will 2 sets (2x3) of component video cables.

if you have more than a 5.1 system (ie. 6.1), you'll have to still use a digital connection for your dvd movie playback, with the decoding being done at the receiver. but if you have only a 5.1 system, you can decode your dvd movies (and regular cds, for that matter) at either place, the player or the receiver; it's your decision. a digital connection can still prove useful when calibrating, troubleshooting etc., so i'd recommend not forgoing it, altogether.

3. chris d.

chris d. Auditioning

thank you very much scott.