What's new

universal player connections (1 Viewer)

chris d.

Auditioning
looking to buy a universal player from denon. either the 2200 or the 3800. Have a 3801 receiver. how does the connections work.I read something about needing 6 different cables. Someone please explain the whole set-up. what will i need to listen to dvd-a and sacd? Thanks

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
you CAN listen to both those formats, in hirez, in 2-channel mode, utilizing only a single pair of analog rca cables, but to fully enjoy multi-channel hirez music, you'll need at least 5 analog cables; 6 if you're like most folks and run a subwoofer. you'll connect the 6-channel analog outputs (FL, FR, C, SR, SL, SUB) from the player to the corresponding "EXT. inputs" on the receiver.

3 pairs (3x2) of analog rca audio cables will work fine. so will 2 sets (2x3) of component video cables.

if you have more than a 5.1 system (ie. 6.1), you'll have to still use a digital connection for your dvd movie playback, with the decoding being done at the receiver. but if you have only a 5.1 system, you can decode your dvd movies (and regular cds, for that matter) at either place, the player or the receiver; it's your decision. a digital connection can still prove useful when calibrating, troubleshooting etc., so i'd recommend not forgoing it, altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulmagruder
Recent bookmarks