What's new

"Universal Music backs Sony's Blu-Ray" - (Reuters UK) (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"You've always claimed 24/192 LPCM was as good as DSD. You're not happy with 24/192 LPCM?"

I like 24/192 a lot actually but it would be nice to have SACD remain in play with a DSD option and it would be better for a lot of the hundreds of pure DSD recordings done recently.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for your comments, Justin. But that's all ground that's been covered before.

My reason for 'bumping' the thread was to see if anyone may have read a recent news item about this.

(Btw, I disagree that high resolution would do "very little to improve the presentation" of concerts.)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I'm not up-to-date with all the latest news on music on Blu-ray (or HD-DVD), but just based on my observations it seems there isn't a whole lot available. Is that correct?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
That's correct. There's a smattering on HD DVD and several BD titles from Sony (ranging from Live At Donington to John Legend).

But this is the first BD from UMG after announcing support for the format over two years ago.

I understand that the length--not duplicated on the standard def release--is due to the inclusion of the evening's entire celebration.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yup. Dave and Tim are in my Queue. Have heard terrif things about that disc.

Can anyone who picks up Elton next Tuesday please post their comments? (It's on my shopping list, but stuff for others has to take priority over even more stuff for myself. Bah! Humbug.)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Does anyone think it odd that Universal Music would support Blu-Ray while Universal Studios (until recently) was the ONLY major studio that steadfastedly refused to do so?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Paul, not to be cheeky, but this has been mentioned many, many times. Again for those who missed it: GE bought VUE. Vivendi Universal Entertainment was the theme parks, the TV properties and the movie studio. NOT UMG.

Universal Music Group is still owned by the French and now has nothing to do with the movie studio.

Google around to get more info on the transaction. It was a very interesting deal.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Sorry. I've got a lot on my plate and I haven't kept up with all the mergers-demergers and so on. I probably should have googled it first, but I presumed Universal was, well, "universal" in its properties. :)

Thanks for the clarification.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Why is/would DSD be better than LPCM?

We bought Chris Botti Live on BD and it sounds absolutely phenomenal. Easily one of the best hirez disc I own which says a lot considering its a live recording.

We saw Chris live a week before the purchase and if you crank it it really is almost like being there.

Amazon has its for $14.95 and worth every pennt if you have a BD player, even if your not a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks