Universal Is Looking Like The Real Wild Card This Year

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Scott, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

it seems like we a getting some fairly substantial lists of potential/likely releases from Fox and Warner (and even a bunch from Paramount for the first 1/2 of the year at least).
    in regards to Warner, it seems like in sheer numbers, from what has already been announced to what we know from the previous chat to expect, we already have almost as many catalog titles as we saw released last yr (at least it seems that way to me).
    Columbia has very little in its vaults that i'm pining away for and MGM is still too damned inconsistent in regards to qulity for me to get excited from any announcemnt of theirs (unless its part of the Midnight Movie line).

i think the studio that could end up turning itself around big time and making some pretty large waves could very well be Universal.

with their old Paramount titles, all the old Monster and 50s sci-fi films, the film noirs, they easily have enough great material to steal some of the thunder away from Warner and Fox...but will they do it?

to me, Universals output in 2004 is what i am really curious about at the moment.

2. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

What I would like Universal to do is re-release their comedies in Anamorphic Widescreen, cleaned up picture and 5.1.

Examples:
    Twins
    Happy Gilmore
    Kindergarten Cop

3. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

What I would like Universal to do is re-release their comedies in Anamorphic Widescreen, cleaned up picture and 5.1 sound.

Examples:
    Twins
    Happy Gilmore
    Kindergarten Cop

Twins and Kindergarten Cop fall into the, "How dare they release this movie that way!" category. The VHS versions are better for godness sakes!

[​IMG]

4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Well, Universal is making fans of classic comedy quite happy with their 2004 confirmed and rumored releases.

I will be picking up the "Ma and Pa Kettle" Volume 1 collection in February as well as the "Abbott and Costello" 8-pack. Both have been covered in detail in other threads.

A recent thread also discusses the Marx Brothers releases which are rumored to be coming.

Another recent thread mentions the resurrection of the classic monsters line via the "Legacy" series. They won't have the special features found on the other sets, but at least they'll be quite affordable.

Barring something like terrible transfers, Universal should be applauded for making their catalog "series" product available in a format that makes it easier for consumers to collect them without going breaking the bank on individual releases.

Hopefully sales will justify Universal's continued commitment to this strategy. Paul_Scott is quite right, Universal can really make a name for themselves this year.

Steve

5. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Well i'm pleased with the releases of AN AMERICAN TALE and SHINDLER'S LIST this upcoming year.

However I wish they would redo some titles correctly this time around.

FIELD OF DREAMS (I had this once and this is begging for a new Anamorphic release in 5.1!)

And continuing seasons of LAW AND ORDER being released consistently at the "right" pricing this year also!

6. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Flash Gordon please.

Neil

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

The Monsters ARE Coming!!!!!
    (but they're taking the low road)

unfortunately it looks like i spoke too soon about Universal giving anyone a run for the money in the 'class' department.
    instead of just releasing the films in the old format, they seem to be following the Airport Franchise Collection format, cramming a bunch of films onto just 2 discs and dumping them in a cheap digi-pack at a bargin basement price.

read it and weep

i had high hopes tha Van Helsing was going to be the opportunity to bring a lot more good material out, but it looks like i was sorely wrong.
    in addition the film itself looks very iffy, so that could pretty much drive a stake in the heart of any ambitions to continually release this material in its wake.

i feel sick now

[​IMG]

8. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    It's kind of ridiculous to cram four hours and five minutes of films on the first disc, especially when the first two are the ones most people would be most concerned about.

9. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I'm pretty sure that Universal is not throwing out two + movies on a single DVD-9.

God did invent DVD-14s and DVD-18s, and I'm sure Universal will be using them for their "franchise collection" (they've used them before, they'll use them again). [​IMG]

10. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

It's too bad that Universal is seemingly taking the "fire sale" route, and releasing these collections of films in cramped clumps on as few discs as possible with no extras.
    I guess they're trying to go for the people who buy TV on DVD....But the result for true film fans will ultimately disappoint. The old FRANKENSTEIN SE was meticulously done.
    How could they want to replace that with something barebones is beyond me....[​IMG]

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    What I would like to see this studio do is abandon the EXTREMELY annoying forced trailers format they've adopted on all of their new releases.

UNIVERSAL! ENOUGH ALREADY!

12. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I've heard musings that the horror titles that had poor transfers in the last batch-BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and DRACULA-will be remastered in the "Legacy" sets. A quality presentation of the film is far more important to me than all of the extras in the world. So, if this turns out to be true, I'll be double dipping on the Monster titles.

13. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    I will be buying these only if the masters have been upgraded. I have them all on their previous DVD release. I think all of them could use some additional work, with the exception of SHE WOLF OF LONDON!
    Even FRANKENSTEIN, although looking superb, had so much work done on the sound that there was no ambient sound and it seems to go digitally silent between words.
    DRACULA and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and THE INVISIBLE MAN certainly need more restoration. Even the forties stuff could use a clean up. THE WOLFMAN has scenes that look like it's snowing at times. And FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN has that horrible splice in the Main Titles, that I think was fixed for the laser release.
    Since the prices fro these sets are so low, I wonder what the incentive to spend money on upgrading their masters will be, unless they are being upgraded for hi def and will use those masters.
    I also hope some of the horror films that only made it to laser and video tape will be eventually released...such as THE BLACK CAT, THE RAVEN, NIGHT MONSTER, etc. And that would still leave several titles never released officially on video: SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM, HORROR ISLAND, MAD DOCTOR OF MARKET STREET, etc.
    We have the Abbott and Costello's to look forward to and I believe I read somewhere the Deanna Durbin films will be boxed in a similar fashion.
    And speaking of horror, there are many Paramount films that would be wonderful on DVD such as MUDERS IN THE ZOO, TERROR ABOARD, THE UNSEEN, THE MAD DOCTOR, MENACE and about a million others.
    Here's hoping. I wouldn't mind a nice set of the Maria Montex/Jon Hall Technicolor camp to come out.

14. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

there was a trailer of Cobra Woman on Criterions The Killers, and there are some tantilizing scenes of the Hall/Montez films on Warners Technicolor feature on The Robin Hood disc.

yeah, i would LOVE to have those to.
    in a case like that, i wouldn't mind, & it would make sense to cluster a group of them together, as anyone looking to pick up one, would most likely pop for all of them if they had the chance.

with the Monster titles though, i feel the same way that the transfer is more important to me, but why couldn't they just release bare bones single title discs and price them like the Jimmy Stewart Western, for instance.
    i would easily upgrade BOF , in that case, and pick up the ones i didn't have.
    i have concerns about the end quality following the route they are.

and frankly, if they did expect the $200 million dollar Van Helsing to be a 'tent-pole' picture for them, they should have begun releasing monster material in Jan, and released a couple titles every months like a drum role to get anticipation up, and then big batch a couple weeks before the films release.

i'm losing hope of seeing, any deeper monster, or any of the Paramount horror catalog titles.

15. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I would love to have a set of the Paramount titles! Throw the near impossible to find DOUBLE DOOR on the list, and it would be the greatest boxset ever(to me, anyway!).

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm just hoping that Uni releases NORTHERN EXPOSURE with decent transfers, and a reasonable price - hopefully combining the first and second seasons into one release due to the low episode count.

Revisiting older titles is fine, but I am looking for new product, not just corrected versions of catalogue releases.

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I would love to see OAR versions of Kindergarten Cop and Twins. Also, The Incredible Shrinking Man would be nice too.

However, it all makes me verious. Universal is the most incompetent studio and their lack of quality control means something will probably be screwed up if or when these are released. This studio is beyond pathetic.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Dave,
    Don't hold back, just tell us how you really feel about Universal.[​IMG]

Crawdaddy

19. ChristopherBlig

ChristopherBlig Stunt Coordinator

the Director's cut of The Frighteners plus the 4 hour documentary and other extras for the flick. They should be taking advantage of the success of the Lord of the Rings movies by putting this already-released LD onto DVD. I don't want to shell out 100+ dollars for the LD on EBay, I want it in the absolute best way possible.

Also Charley Varrick and Colossus: The Forbin Project look like the bastard children of the LD double features so they should get the proper DVD treatment

20. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

I've pretty much given up hope for Universal.

I missed the classic monsters the first time around, and it looks like it'll be a long time before I can get them in an acceptable format at a reasonable price. [​IMG] I just have to wonder what the hell is so hard about keeping the damned things in print?

And I'm dying for them to release their classic Hammers like "Curse of the Werewolf," "Brides of Dracula," and "Evil of Frankenstein." Good lord, even Warner and Paramount have dipped into their Hammer catalog.