What's new

Universal IR/RF Remotes (1 Viewer)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
So I'm in the market for an end all be all remote. I've heard a lot of good things about Pronto's, but I'm not sure what is out there that can do everything I need. Here is a list of things I require it to operate:

Living room:
1) Sony 32" TV
2) Sony receiver
3) Panny DVD player
4) CD Changer
5) Sony DTV receiver

Pretty basic. Now the fun part, the movie room:
1) Turn on/off/change displays on Panny projector
2) RCA DTV receiver
3) receiver
4) Macros for RF HTPC ***
5) Send RF freq to turn on a motorized curtain

*** This is the tricky part. My HTPC is currently controlled by an RF keyboard/mouse. I'd like to be able to plug in Macro's that do some of the functions of the keyboard (up/down arrows, enter, and the built in media player buttons).

So, it needs to be RF and IR compliant, and needs to be a learning remote. What do you guys think?

NicholasL

Second Unit
Universal Remote's MX series remotes, such as the MX-500 or MX-700 (which comes with the parasound halo units), or even MX-800. They are RF and IR compliant, and are programmed via a computer program that offers an insatiable ability to customize. I'd look into the units at www.universalremote.com . You can also read reviews at them over at www.remotecentral.com. for the best universal remote that isn't $$$, I think the Sony RM-AV3000 is great, but I don't know if it works with RF devices.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ditto nicholas.

i have an mx-500 and love it. i wasn't aware that the 700 was rf-capable, but i'm pretty sure the 800 is.

definitely worth a look. there is also a forum at remotecentral dedicated to the mx series remotes. you may wanna check it out.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, I don't see any RF stuff on the 700. As for the 800, it's a bit pricey, but if it will fit the bill who knows. I like how its got hard buttons, and not all LCD.

However, I dont think it can control RF components. See #2 of their FAQ:

WILL THE MX-800 CONTROL MY RADIO FREQUENCY (RF) DEVICES OR LEARN RF COMMANDS?
Although the MX-800 is an RF/IR remote, it only communicates to the MRF-200 via RF. It will not control or learn RF devices functions.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Actually.. I just had a thought. I could probably pick up an IR remote for my computer, and a more affordable remote that doesn't do RF for much cheaper than one that does RF would be. So that broadens my list substantially.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
OK, so I'll quit talking to myself after this, but you guys have sold me on the MX-500. I read a ton of remote reviews on that website you gave me (all for hard buttoned remotes, I like them much better), and it was a clear winner. I found it online at a couple places for about $100, so that sounds good to me.

I have one question before I purchase though. Is the thumbpad programmable? For instance, I plan on getting this $20 remote for the computer that has arrows that control the mouse. I'd like to have the thumbpad on the MX-500 "learn" those arrow commands.

Thanks!

NicholasL

Second Unit
Sorry about the misinformation about the MX-700 being RF compliant. I would guess the thumbpad is programmable - every button should be. My MX-700 is programmable to the last button, so the MX-500 shouldn't be any different. I'm glad you're getting one of the MX remotes. They are super cool and feel great in your hand. Er...that didn't sound right.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
They are super cool and feel great in your hand. Er...that didn't sound right.
:laugh:

yep, the thumbpad on the 500 is programmable.

i think it's an absolute great remote...especially for the price. it has *completely* replaced eight (or nine?) of my other remotes. all those old ones are sitting in some basket somewhere.

i'm positive you're gonna love it.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Cool. Its actually just enough. Once I get the computer remote, that will be 10 :)

PaulT

Supporting Actor
The MX500 is a great remote (I have had one for a year), but it is NOT RF compatible. I would suggest searching the forum at Remote Central for "RF Compat":
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...=180&ba=0&sm=0

The 800 communicates with an RF base (200) which retransmits in IR only (as was stated above). The 600 claims RF/IR as well, but I believe that's only to the 100 base unit, then IR after that.

Get a hold of David at http://www.bluedo.com and he'll set you straight on a unit for IR/RF use if there is one available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks