Universal Hints at Big SACD Release Schedule

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  2. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I also saw on another board that Universal is jumping in the water with some DVD-A releases this year as well. [​IMG]

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

That number is about as funny as the DVD-A prediction of 125 titles per month for the rest of the year to reach 2000 titles by year end. I don't even see Sony putting out 500 titles this year on SACD.

Figuring there are only 11 months left in the year and Universal has put out very few discs so far this year, that would mean they would be spitting out an average of 45 discs a month. Let's just say they do make their goals. That would mean very few multichannel releases, and just more stereo releases. Look at the Police and Gabriel discs Universal is putting out as an example. A grand total of two will be Hybrid and contain multichannel tracks. The rest (16 discs) are simply single layer stereo. It is nice for the enthusuast to get more titles, but for growth of a format, single layer stereo discs do next to nothing.

J

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Five HUNDRED titles in one year?!

If Warner or even Silverline said that I wouldn't believe them.

LJ

5. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Does anybody know how many discs(not SACD) Universal puts out in an average year? Maybe they are planning on releasing some SACD catalog titles but also using hybrids on their new releases more often. This is an area I don't understand. If a company like Sony puts out Bruce Springsteen's new album(or any other big name act), why is there not an SACD released at the same time? Obviously hybrids would be better, but why not give people a choice between a CD and SACD? It makes sense that the SACD people would pay for the high-res version.

Regards
    KrisM

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'll be cautious about Universal releases. It'll be real disappointing if most are single-layer. Also, some of their product seems a bit suspect. The Bon Jovi and Quincy Jones discs are right up there with the format's very worst. 500 is hard to believe[​IMG] !

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, what am I going to say? [​IMG]