Universal Forces me to Buy Ocean's Eleven!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Ocean's Eleven the remake was a film I had wanted to see in the Theater. The wife went to see it with friends on a day I was tied up. Well Now I find out that it will be another of Universal Inane Dual releases. This means I have virtually no chance of Renting the Widescreen version.
    This was'nt a film I was planning on Buying but I did want to rent. This policy of Universal's either forces me to buy the film or Skip it. I know I could probably buy it on sale for around $17 then sell it for $12 or so, I just hate to be dictated to by the studio's and the rental stores
    what format I choose to watch. Being a widescreen TV owner I refuse to watch P&S.
    Hell I'd refuse to watch it even if I had a 4x3 set. Dual Releases Must go![​IMG]

2. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Dave,

I think this is a Warner Bros title. Definitely is in the UK and I thought was in US as well ?

However like Universal, Warner also seem to be doing both P/S and W/S titles in R1 although here in UK the first dual release will be Harry Potter

Malcolm

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Your Right, let me change the header and rip the Right studio. Harry Potter did'nt affect me I bought that one, but the lack of a rental on that one upsets me too

4. Frank Tran

Frank Tran Agent

Better to have dual releases than to have P&S only though....

5. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I would like to say I also hate dual releases because of the blockbuster problem. I know the pan and scan issue has been beaten to death here but I think some on this board who hardly ever rent fail to understand the problem this poses for some. I buy the majority of discs I watch but I shudder to think how much more I would spend if I also bought every title I have rented. I wish the studios would due more widescreen/pan and scan releases as opposed to a dual release. While I don't think that a pan and scan version should be ever be included that causes a sacrifice in video quality I do think more releases could have both in a two disc set like Shrek or a two disc set with two versions on one disc and extras on a second like Snatch.

6. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Honestly, Ocean's 11 did not strike me as a "dual-release" caliber movie. It doesn't seem to be the commercial sales monster like Grinch or Jp3. Oh well, I was going to buy it anyway.