What's new

Universal focus on back catalog in 2003 (1 Viewer)

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
There are no alternate dubs for either "King Kong Vs. Godzilla" or "King Kong Escapes". Toho did produce their own dubbed *trailer* for KKvsG, but that's as far as they went.

And from what I understand, the rights don't revert back to Toho *period*.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
The 1932 SCARFACE is indeed controlled by Universal (I have the Universal laserdisc). I'd like to see both versions available on DVD. For me it's not a matter of preference, the films are very different. and besides, who says we can only have one version? If the big U is gonna open up them catalog doors, let's see 'em open wide!

Jared M

Stunt Coordinator
Also

Howard the Duck
Happy Gilmore OAR
Charles in Charge
Coach
Jack of All Trades
Out of this World

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
Babe SE
The Sting SE
The Seven-Per-Cent Solution
(all in their proper aspect ratios, finally!)
Also, second the calls for a properly anamorphic The Deer Hunter. (Actually, if they could get Cimino to do commentaries, I'd love a boxed set of that and Heaven's Gate. Especially if, on the latter, they could use seamless branching to present both the original and the "damage control" shortened version. Imagine the stories on that commentary track...)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
According to a moderator over at DVDTALK, these are the catalog titles Universal will be releasing in January:

American Me
The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas
CB4
Imitation Of Life (1959)
North Shore
To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar

If this is an example of what Universal's catalog emphasis will be like in 2003, then my initial wariness is still justified (although I will pick up Imitation of Life).

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" it's about time. I just hope they use the stereo tracks.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Great news if it is true about Imitation Of Life! Hopfully they will soon release another Lana Turner great- Madame X.

Perhaps I've missed it, but so far has anyone mentioned the Doris Day/Rock Hudson "trilogy"? Pillow Talk has been out, released 1999- non-anamorphic and a poor transfer. Would love to see them release a better transfer of PT along with Lover Come Back and Send Me No Flowers.

Doris was Universals top box office draw in the early 60's, she deserves special attention to her catalog of films.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Doris was Universals top box office draw in the early 60's, she deserves special attention to her catalog of films
I agree in spades!! I've been a Doris Day fan since I started watching movies. Her filmography needs better representation.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Why? What's the problem? Have these already been released before?
No, it's just that there are tons of great films from pre- 1980 that Universal has the rights to that are languishing in their vaults. Movies such as North Shore and CB4 are not my cup of tea.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'll believe it when I see it but if it's true about Imitation Of Life the loud scream you hear will be mine!

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I would be happy if Warner Bros would just release "Kung Fu" the TV series...

Good to hear about "Midnight Run" being on the list. Great movie.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I would assume the issue of the otherwise undistinguished NORTH SHORE is meant to tie into what will likely be the same time release of Universal's surf chick movie BLUE CRUSH, and that CB4 will be piggybacked alongside UNDERCOVER BROTHER.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
To compliment Warner's release of The Incredible Mr. Limpet, I'd like to see Universal release what I feel is Don Knott's best performance in a motion picture, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.
Mark

Joel C

Screenwriter
Good news on Imitation of Life...
But (was this mentioned?) what about Scarlet Street?

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Here's hoping that with the success of Blue Crush that they'll release North Shore
And with my quote on 9/18, my prayers have been answered. I can finally retire my pan and scan laserdisc

If Universal is reading this thread, please, now bring it out on D-VHS!

-Brian

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
From DVDTALK, here are Universal's releases for February
-Casual Sex / Cold Comfort Farm 2-Pack
-The Countess From Hong Kong
-George Burns Triple Feature (Here Comes Love/Love In Bloom/Six Of A Kind)
-A Little Sex
-Man's Favorite Sport / Strange Bedfellows 2-Pack
-The Money Pit
-Send Me No Flowers
-The Thrill Of It All!
Universal continues to be cluless when it comes to DVD; Pairing Casual Sex with Cold Comfort Farm? A George Burns triple feature? Are people desperate to see Strange Bedfellows on DVD? Thank God Criterion will be releasing Trouble in Paradise from the Universal catalog.
However, I am happy to see The Thrill Of It All & Send Me No Flowers on DVD (but why no Lover Come Back?).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks