Universal Film-Noir ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deepak Shenoy, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Universal has a great many film-noir classics languishing in their vaults. I was wondering if they will ever release these on DVD. A film-noir series (similar to what they had on VHS) would be nice.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I would buy all of those titles in a heartbeat if they were released on DVD. The only title that has been available is "Double Indemnity" and it was a lackluster transfer to say the least.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'd be a very poor man if they did release these! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    That would be a dream slate of releases right there. I don't think anyone is looking for a boatload of extras here. Are the original elements in such bad shape? The Image DOUBLE INDEMNITY was bad, I know, but I still hope there can good releases of these films that are not necessarily pull-out-all-the-stops, fully restored releases. I like those, but they tend to be a long time coming and when they do, in very small batches.

Jon

5. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I'd love to see these realeased; especially "The Big Clock," one of my all-time favorites. My VHS copy will wear out some day...

John H: your comment about getting decent, but not full-blown, editions on disc is right on target.

On a semi-related note, if you ever see "The Big Clock," notice that many of Charles Laughton's mannerisms (especially that of putting his pinkie finger to his mouth) seem to resemble those of Austin Powers' nemesis.

On another note, "The Big Clock" was modified and released in 1987 as "No Way Out," starring Kevin Costner.

6. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I, for one, sure would like to have Phantom Lady !

7. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

Quote:

"That would be a dream slate of releases right there. I don't think anyone is looking for a boatload of extras here."

An alternative to not having many supplementary features would be to release them in pairs (after all, Universal is not new to this practice):

THIS GUN FOR HIRE (1942)/THE GLASS KEY (1942)
    MINISTRY OF FEAR (1944)/THE BIG CLOCK (1948)
    PHANTOM LADY (1944)/CRISS CROSS (1949)
    THE BLUE DAHLIA (1946)/BLACK ANGEL (1946)
    THE KILLERS (1946)/THE KILLERS (1964)

DOUBLE INDEMINITY (1944) deserves its own Special Edition - by Criterion perhaps. One of my all-time favorites.

I do hope that someone at Universal Studios comes across this thread. I would buy them all in a heartbeat if they were to be released as double-feature DVDs.

8. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Wow, I'd kill for all of these titles on Region 1 DVD (quite appropriate behavior, given the theme)! And Universal controls several more, ideal for DVD, such as:
    WOMAN IN HIDING (1950)
    THE SUSPECT (1945)
    DARK MIRROR (1945)
    (THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF) UNCLE HARRY (1945)
    AMONG THE LIVING (1941, Paramount)
    NAKED ALIBI (1954)
    KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS (1948)
    THE GLASS WEB (1953)
    THE UNGUARDED MOMENT (1957)
    --Some would make great "double feature" DVDs, along the lines of the last batch of Universal's Classic Monsters DVDs.
    Strange that more of these aren't available on DVD, considering that most/all of today's big-screen crime/suspense thrillers are cut from the cloth of "film noir".

9. David Lawrence

David Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

Most of these would be at the top of my list too. This seems to be another forgotten genre when it comes to DVD; just how many classic film noirs have been released? I can't think of many.

10. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Seeing the covers to those videos made me drool!

I have a feeling that we might have to rely on Criterion to release some of these films on DVD. Universal has not been the kindest studio when it comes to releasing their B&W catalog films on DVD.