universal dvd players?(sacd,dvd audio)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sheldon-m, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

i was looking for a unversal dvd player. i was think that of getting the pioneer dv-563a, but a friend to me that it had the chroma problem. is there any other dvd player out there for around the same price(150 to 200$).THX

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Actually, I think the review at Secrets said it does NOT have the CUE.

Putting that aside, have you ever seen the CUE? Do you know what to look for? Most people have a hard time seeing it, even with someone that does know is coaching them.

If your priority is first class video, you will need to look elsewhere, but a uni player that has solid video performance AND handles the audio right (no bass management screwups)is going to be about $600 (Denon 2200).

To answer you question, there is no other universal player currently available at that price point ($150).

BGL

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Although Toshiba is reportedly coming up with one or two in June, I believe.

4. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    I'd really like to get a universal DVD multi disc changer. Anyone know of one that's currently available or forthcoming?

5. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Doug- I believe that Toshiba is introducing a multi-disc universal model in May or June. If I remember correctly, the list price is somewhere around $200 or so. I don't know much about Toshiba's quality, but at least they're a major brand name. It supposedly will handle both DVD-A and SACD as well as wma and mp3. I'm waiting until I read more about it, particularly in terms of the chroma bug. It certainly has the versatility I want, so hopefully it's worth the wait.

Steve K.

6. Sheldon-m

thanks all. with toshi, i emailed them they are not releasing a dvd player that is universal. for some reason it was scratched. They were promoting it at the CES 2004 convention. when i went to look up the toshi on there web site it was just labeled the standurd formats. so chroma bug is probly not a problem. any reveiws to look at guys. THX

7. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Sheldon - That's disappointing news, if correct. Interestingly, their web site still has the January announcment, including the SD-6915 slated for May 2004. Hopefully, that project hasn't been scrapped. I guess we'll find out in May or June.

Steve K.

8. Sheldon-m

ya, hopefully not. i had heard it was going to be at or under 200$. i have always been happy toshi products. Ihave toshi 57".

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

It's asking alot to get a good dvd player with universal capabilities for $200. In the market of universal players, you get what you pay for.

There is a new Yamaha for $399 coming out soon. Some have said in March, some have said as late as October. My dealer says March but he's obviously late [​IMG]

But then again $400 might be too much for you. Then again I think you are asking for the world for $200 and its doubtful anybody will deliver with a quality machine when it comes to audio and video. There are going to be some shortcomings at that price point and you'll have to decide what you are willing to accept.

10. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Shane - I agree with you. Prices have undoubtedly come down, but you do get what you pay for. I bought my current DVD player in 1999, and I paid about $400 for it. It's a single disc player and only plays DVDs and CD's - no DVD-A, no SACD, no mp3, no wma, etc. If I was willing to pay $400 in 1999 for a DVD-only player, certainly I should be willing to pay $400 in 2004 for a universal player. It's tempting to try to save a couple hundred bucks, but you usually wind up regretting it.

Decisions, decisions!

Steve K.