What's new

Universal DVD Audio have anyone.... (1 Viewer)

Jason_H

Second Unit
I have held off buying R.E.M.'s "Document" because it is so frickin' expensive!!! $25 everywhere compared to the $15 or so I paid for the Warner Bros. versions of their "Reveal" and "Automatic for the People" DVD-As. Universal needs to drop their prices.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Document is a Capitol title. And yes, it is too dang expensive. Same with BMG's Elv1s dvd-audio.

LJ

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jesper:

Today (the 23rd) is the first street day for UMG DVD-As I think.

I'll eventually be getting Vince's High Lonesome Sound, Shania's Up!, George Strait's Honkytonkville and (with yet-to-be-announced street dates) John Hiatt's Bring the Family and EJ's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Will report more when I get my hands on them if you like.

-p

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Tower at Lincoln Center in NY had Sting, Sheryl Crow, Marvin Gaye (these are the 3 I bought), Vince Gill, and presumably, somewhere had the Diane Krall and the last one (I can't remember the title, but it's jazz). All were priced at $18.99.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the Diana Krall title at a Best Buy in Bloomington, IL for US$15.99, which is competitive with the WB pricing.

The Sting and Marvin Gaye titles weren't on the shelf to purchase.

Haven't given it a listen yet, and likely won't until Thursday or Friday.

Regards,

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Paul and John,

Thanks for the feedback, I am looking forward to your reviews! :D

Att. John,

I am looking into some Meridian stuff, I like the 500 series and will perhaps get their 598 and 568... But have you heard DSP7000 if yes how is it against DSP6000? I am ofcourse thinking about the money! ;) I did hear DSP6000 in Berlin (IFA) Oh my god... These speakers really sounds great, I have B&W Nautilus system but these Meridian speakers can't get out of my head.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Jesper,

I have Diana Krall's Love Scenes playing in the background and ordered the Sting and Marvin Gaye titles today. I have yet to play the DTS disc and this disc back to back, but so far I'm really impressed with the fidelity out of the 24bit/44.1k surround track. Later tonight, I'll check out the stereo track (24/96K) and Trifield.

I've not heard DSP7K yet, although I have a strong desire to do so :D The DSP6Ks are awfully good. You won't go wrong with either speaker selection, but if you can afford the 7Ks, I'd go with them for longer term value (including (gasp) resale). Of course it's easy for me to spend your hard earned money for you ;)

Regards,

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I think High Lonesome Sound's being a digital recording is to 'blame' for the minimal difference I'm hearing between the 2ch DVD-A track and the original CD on cursory first listens. Have not listened to the m.c.

Having the three music vids included thereon is kinda nice (but hardly a showstopper). The way the discography is presented is very good and currently not possible with SACD: the disc automatically scrolls through Vince's entire catalog, displaying the album cover art and track listing onscreen while a short clip of a song plays from each album. (I imagine Vince's having always recorded for MCA Nashville facilitates this.)

$14.99 at Amazon; $13.99 at CircuitCity.com.

Looking forward to eventually getting the George Strait and Shania, too. Any Shania vids on Up! are reason enough for me to choose the DVD-A over the SACD. "I'm goin' up up up," indeed.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks