Universal doubles(Flintstones/Dragonheart/Problem Child): Double features or 2 packs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Johnny G, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

With some etailers selling these for $13.99, I wondered if these are in fact just 2 films on 1 DVD or as the titles say, 2 packs (Yabba-Dabba 2-pack & Tantrum 2-pack) and if so, are they the original special editions for the likes of Flintstones & Dragonheart?

Same question goes for the Jan 20th releases of Conan, American Graffiti & Smokey and the bandit which is 3 movies.

DVD Planet list these as 1 disc which sounds reasonable but DVD Empire list the features from the individual special editions!

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'd be willing to wager that these are all 2-packs.

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I hate most 2-packs. They sound like such a bargain until you realize there is really only one decent movie, packaged with something the studio wants to get rid of quickly, and for good reason. I saw LITTLE BIG MAN in a two-pack at Sam's Club for something like $19, packaged with some dumb title, whereas had it been coupled with A MAN CALLED HORSE or NEVADA SMITH, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. I know the argument: "Well, you can always sell the one you don't want on eBay." But selling one or two DVD's on eBay is a lot of effort for very little return, plus a chunk of profit gone to eBay itself. Every rare once in a while, there will be a two pack in which both movies are 1] quite desirable, 2] of the same genre and 3] ones I do not already own.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Warner's been packaging a lot of Fool-Screen discs with other movies that only got one release- example Heat (WS) and Oceans 11 (FS)- guess they couldn't get rid of enough of the Foolscreens (though why did they make them at all?)
    I heard Universal is putting at least 2 movies on one disc, which I'm all for if they do it right- given their recent track record I'm not sure though.

5. Johnny G

Jesse,

where have you heard Universal are putting 2 movies on 1 disc & if this is the case, what about 3 movies in the case of Smokey & the Bandit?

6. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

They usually put 1 decent movie with one lousy one. I think the Dragonheart comes with Dragonheart part 2[​IMG]

7. GeoffBr

GeoffBr Agent

There're some decent finds out there though. Universal's High School Reunion double-packs come to mind -- like Breakfast Club/Sixteen Candles and Fast Times at Ridgemont High/Dazed and Confused. Admittedly, the last two discs are a bit lacking but there's no better version out there for either yet. Most packs are pretty poor but every so often some gems pop up.

8. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    These are all 2-packs. Saw them @ Best Buy on Tuesday. Also saw something that annoyed the hell out of me from Fox: a 2-pack of Solaris and The Abyss that I would have gladly bought, but Solaris is widescreen while The Abyss is pan-and-scan. Who was the bonehead who put this package together?

9. Johnny G

Stephen,

There is absolutely NO WAY these could be in Best Buy as they are not due until March!

If, when you say "all", you are referring to the Conan, Graffiti & Smokeys, which are due Jan 20th, I'm surprised they have them so early but I just read the artwork for American Graffiti & it says Drive-In Double Feature which leads me to believe "all" these new Universal pairings come on single discs, as Jesse said.

Can you clear up which you mean that are "all" 2 packs?

10. GeoffBr

GeoffBr Agent

That's really odd... according to Amazon there are three different versions, a widescreen 2-pack, a P&S 2-pack, and one that combines the two. The combo pack seems the best way to avoid making anyone happy...

11. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

I saw some of these today at Wal-Mart. They are packaged back-to-back so you can't confirm any information about them (like whether they are anamorphic).

[​IMG]