What's new

Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Volume 2 (4k UHD) (2 Viewers)

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
As per the first 4k set I bet these have no new extras. I will wait a few years until the complete legacy collection comes out so I dont have duplicate-duplicate-duplicates.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Universal really keeps trying to push Phantom as part of the Monsters, don't they?
The Lon Chaney Phantom, made for Universal, is certainly an icon of horror, and a highlight of Universal's history. Unfortunately, it is in the public domain and Universal has no elements for it. So, they put out Claude Raines's Technicolor romance in its place.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
The Lon Chaney Phantom, made for Universal, is certainly an icon of horror, and a highlight of Universal's history. Unfortunately, it is in the public domain and Universal has no elements for it. So, they put out Claude Raines's Technicolor romance in its place.
I also think in the place of Studio history, it holds a special place, just off of the extras that were included way back when, I remember Rudy Behlmer discussing this in one of the featurettes, this in Universals eyes is one of it's Crown Jewels, lavish production values, Technicolor, an Opera expressly written for the film, and of course the only one to win any Oscars, this even had the distinction of having a planned sequel at the outset, and the film that came from that planning even kept the title "The Climax" and stars Universals originally cast Karloff, but keeps Susanna Foster.

Unrelated but sort of a quazi sequel of sorts. They get a pass for this and for Phantom.

but I agree Son of Frankenstein / Dracula's Daughter / Revenge of the Creature will make great anchors for the next release

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Perhaps Universal could make a deal with KINO ;)!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Perhaps Universal could make a deal with KINO ;)!
We can only dream. :D

I can imagine the cover art might even look something like this:

1661025696665.png

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Yes, they do, and I've never been able to figure out why.
The Phantom of the Opera is one of Universal's classic monster characters, first-tier, and that's what these particular 4K box sets are zeroing in on. U no longer has practical legal rights to the public domain silent version, so the '43 Claude Rains incarnation becomes the representative film for this all-important boogieman. Yes, we know many fans feel PHANTOM '43 is "more musical than monster movie," but ignoring its merits on those grounds always seemed frivolous to me. Rains is superb, the stage mask he uses has become something of an icon in itself (thanks partially to Basil Gogos' brilliant FAMOUS MONSTERS cover painting), and the Oscar-winning Technicolor photography is nothing short of breathtaking. It's also the version that invented, I believe, the dramatic set-up for the character that became canon for awhile ("Thief! You've stolen my music!").

In any event, when most of us saw the "all-star" line-up of the first Universal 4K box, it seemed pretty easy to predict which Uni-monsters would be part of the second. I remember mentioning at some point that Box 2 will undoubtedly offer the first 2D-only disc release of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, something we haven't seen in quite some time. That points directly to the fact that the 4K UHD format, for all its brilliance, denies movie fans and historians the ability to watch stereoscopic movies. You'll need to keep your old, outdated 3-D compatible screens for that, or buy a projector. Annoying, right? But 3-D gets very little respect in the video industry, so 4K UHD simply chose to ignore it, claiming, "our format looks so clear to begin with, it's already like 3-D!" Reminds me of the early widescreen movie claims -- "You don't need glasses for this one!" Naturally, because all you were getting was a wider screen without the benefit of dimensional photography.

Bottom line? I knew I was buying this 4K set before it was even announced, so that's pretty much that.

Last edited:

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Or Dracula's Daughter. Both deserve to be far closer to the "pantheon" than they are and would fit the set better.
Just a guess, but they might release the 4 Mummy sequels (Hand, Tomb, Ghost, and Curse), as well as the 4 Frankenstein sequels (Son, Ghost, Meets the Wolf Man, and House of) on their own 4K set.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Just a guess, but they might release the 4 Mummy sequels (Hand, Tomb, Ghost, and Curse), as well as the 4 Frankenstein sequels (Son, Ghost, Meets the Wolf Man, and House of) on their own 4K set.
Or they could end up doing what they did with blu ray and we could end up with a half-dozen more copies of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein in 4K.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I assume people are hoping Universal does not do as they did with the blu rays which was after they released the essential collection which included Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, The Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera and Creature From the Black Lagoon they switched to releasing individual monster collections so you had all the Frankensteins, all the Draculas, , all the Abbott and Costello Meet Frankensteins etc released as box sets, so fans ended up buying the films in the first essential set again to get the other films.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I think RAH was joking about Rains appearing in only one film in color because he actually appeared in a number of such films.
He did indeed, including The Man Who Watched Trains Go By which I'm going to watch again in the next few days, having just watched Marta Toren in Sirocco.

JimMiller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Miller
He did indeed, including The Man Who Watched Trains Go By which I'm going to watch again in the next few days, having just watched Marta Toren in Sirocco.
I found "The Man Who Watched Trains Go By" to be an excellent film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks