What's new

Universal Classic Monster Movies... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So now that the 3 Universal Legacy Collections are slated for release this coming April, as well as this elaborate 6-disc packaged set...

(picture courtesy of Joshua Lane's website: BoxSetBliss.com)

And Image's wonderful 2-disc "Phantom Of The Opera: Milestone Collection", I would like to know if there are any plans to release the 3 remaining Universal Monster Classics:

- The Mummy (1932)

- The Invisible Man (1933)

- Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954)

According to Amazon.com all 3 of the current releases seem to be out of print, as is the original Classic Monster Collection box-set, so I'm curious if Universal is planning to revisit these 3 classic films to DVD as well with new transfers similair to the collections posted above?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Also, can anyone post their thoughts on this 2002 Warners release of the Hammer Horror Collection, consisting of the following 3 films:

- The Horror Of Dracula
- The Curse Of Frankenstein
- The Mummy

Have these films all been properly remastered from their source and how's the overall quality of the set?

Is it possible that WB will redo these transfers in the near future or is this a safe purchase?

I appreciate all the insight!!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wouldn't surprise me to see all the Universal MUMMY movies comes out in a second "wave" of the "Franchise Series." And maybe we'll get the three CREATURE films also. Time for a first release of the Hammer titles...

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Marco - the Image Phantom of the Opera DVD is of the 1925 Lon Chaney version. The Universal Horror DVD of Phantom of the Opera was the 1943 version with Claude Rains.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

You're damn skippy! Universal is holding so many good Hammer horror films, as well as the 1980 Flash Gordon, hostage; and every time I think about it, I get upset and have to find my "quiet place". ;)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
What we need, in addition to the Hammer films from Universal, are the rest of their monster/horror movies of the 30s, 40s and 50s. Including:

THE MUMMY FILMS
THE INVISIBLE MAN FILMS
THE BLACK CAT
THE RAVEN
THE INVISIBLE RAY
MAN MADE MONSTER
BLACK FRIDAY
CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN
THE INNER SNACTUM SERIES
HORROR ISLAND
MAD DOCTOR OF MARKET STREET
MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS
TARANTULA
THE LEECH WOMAN
MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS
THE MOLE PEOPLE
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON FILMS

etc.........etc..............etc..........

John Di Lauro

Stunt Coordinator
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if this new release will include the same extra features (making-of, commentary track, etc.) that was included in the previous releases? I enjoyed these on the "Frankenstein" and "Bride" discs, which I was hoping to purchase but found out they're no longer being produced. Thanks.

John

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I agree again. Especially The Black Cat & Island of Lost Souls which are Top Tier Horror films.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

All of the previously recorded commentaries will be on the new set. Most of the documentaries will be included, though the WOLFMAN one will be missing for some unspecified reason.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Does anybody know yet if these will be double-sided discs? In the photo above they aren't and have disc art, but could that be for display purposes?
I can't imagine how they'll fit, for example, Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, along with two documentaries and other extras, on one single-sided disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks