What's new

Universal Classic Monster Discs Withrdawn?! (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Ok, here's some good news: We can get all of these titles. I can get all the individual titles from the first box set (and a few box sets) and the individual double features. Can't get them for the Columbia House price, but if your store is out of stock and you want them before they're gone, e-mail me immediately with your wish list. First come, first served. We'll do our best to get you your requests.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, if your Amazon order ships out please let me know here, okay? I will do the same.
My order states this now:
Shipping estimate: March 22
Delivery estimate: March 28 - March 29
So they now figure it won't even ship out until this Friday. :frowning: And then it takes me a week to get it. :rolleyes
I choose the free delivery. You get what you pay for!! :D But the not-shipping-it-until-Friday sounds like they have to secure a copy of it from somewhere else first, which worries me.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
David L.

If it helps, I ordered the Universal Classic Monster Box Set from Amazon.com with free shipping on March 15th. It shipped on March 19th by UPS and arrived today(March 21st). Apparently, they still have them in stock. Hopefully, you'll be getting your set soon along with everybody else who has recently ordered this.

Richard Waller

Second Unit
I ordered mine from Amazon, too. It shipped recently, so I should have it Friday or Saturday. I also just received the double features from DVD Planet today.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
This may sound crazy!

Can I just get the empty box for the eight discs?

Can Mr. & Mrs. Tolsky give us a source to buy just the box?

I have built up the set over time, but I would like the box.

Thanks for any help!

Enrique

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies...mine shipped from Amazon a day earlier than they said it would. I should have it next week. Kewl! :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I received my Double Features and Abbott and Costello discs from DVDplanet last week.

It seems all the discs are fine, I had to open the Abbott and Costello discs, because I thought the DVDs were loose inside. It turns out Universal pulled a Disney and threw about 15 different inserts in the cases and they were the source of the rattle.

Thanks for the semi-advance notice.

Tom B. Stones

Stunt Coordinator
I've just had a look at the set on Amazon. They actually had a note on it saying "Only 5 left in stock--order soon (more on the way)." Given the thrust of this thread, I'm not so sure about the cliam in the brackets, so I bagged one and it now reads "Only 4 left in stock...".
In other words, if anyone wants one, get your skates on!
The set of eight is a rather good deal at just under $120 (plus shipping if you live outside the US). And here are a couple of money-off codes to help:
  • MAPMCEXCLUSV -- $10 off $75 -- expiry unknown
  • MAPWNEVALLEY -- $10 off $75 -- expiry unknown
:)

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
The minute I saw this thread last week, I hooped on Amazon and placed my order last Friday and got them Tuesday. Been able to watch Dracula. Box looks great though.

Cheers

Chris

StevenA

Second Unit
I decided to bite the bullet and order the box set from Amazon also.
Now it says only 3 left!!:eek:

George Cifrancis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
I ordered the 8 disc boxed set from DVDEMPIRE and got it last week. I was bummed at the DVD cases though, many of the teeth that hold the discs in place had broken off. Just about every case was that way.

George

Blu

Screenwriter
All I can say is that I'm glad I got them when I did!!!
I love this set!!!
If this isn't classic horror/scifi then the genre needs to be redefined:)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Whew, DVD Depot in Canada managed to get some of Universal's last few box sets after being prompted to the issue on their members forum. They came in stock (immediately going out of stock) and I'd managed to secure one in my cart before they came in. I've got a 30 day window on letting it ship, and will probably have it ship next week. £81, not bad.

Dan

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just picked up The Creature From the Black Lagoon and The Wolf Man (I already had all the others that I REALLY love.)
I watched CRTBL, and have to say that
I had forgotten how entertaining this film was. Also,
the commentary track is fantastic. No, you will not
mistake the guy for Roger Ebert, but this is EXACTLY
the kind of commentary this film needed: one from a
die hard fan, who has done extensive research and talked
with the actors and really done his homework.
There is just something really nice about a commentary
where the guy is excited, and totally lacking in
pretension.
On a side note, it really is too bad they didn't make
this a double-sided DVD and include the 3-D version,
along with a pair of glasses. I figure if we can get
the "smell-o-vision" version of Polyester,
we should get the option of seeing CFTBL
in 3-D, especially since their is a VHS version that
was released. (I saw it on eBay.)
Mark

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Quote_____________________________________________ __________

There is just something really nice about a commentary

where the guy is excited, and totally lacking in

pretension.

__________________________________________________ ______

Absolutely. Tom Weaver is the guy who did the CFTBL commentary, and also did an excellent commentary on THE WOLFMAN DVD. He's as nice and lacking in pretension in real life as he is on his commentary tracks. And you'll never find a guy who's a better interviewer or researcher in the horror/fantasy genre writing field than Weaver. The upcoming IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE DVD will also have a commentary by Tom, and I've heard it's going to be his best yet.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Bruce, I'm sure you're right.

Nevetheless, I was VERY pleased that my box set showed up today from Amazon. Perfect condition, and every disc works enough to show the trailer (or the first few chapters in the case of those with no trailer).

Grade A stuff. Thanks for those who started this thread and gave me warning...we'll enjoy these immensely long before Halloween!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks