What's new

Universal Classic Monster Discs Withrdawn?! (1 Viewer)

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
THE WAY TO UNIVERSAL HORROR

I am an avid fan of horror movies and the films that endeared me to this genre were in fact the classic Universal cycle of the 30s and 40s. I already had many of them on PAL VHS, and some I had only bought fairly recently, but when I acquired a DVD player these films were among the first I picked up.

Still, I made a mistake and ordered the titles individually at intermittent periods instead of just buying the 8-Disc “Universal Classic Monsters Collection” Box Set, though I did this for a couple of strong reasons: a) I did not want to be saddled with so many obsolete VHS tapes at one go, and b) I had to assure myself of the quality of these discs. So once I fell in love all over again with DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN, THE INVISIBLE MAN and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, I knew that the rest (including the less-than-stellar PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and the “Universal Comedy Legends” entry ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN) were not too far behind.

Actually, the one I resisted longest was CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (mainly because it was a product of the 50s rather than the 30s/40s and, ironically enough, the only one among them I had never watched before!) but when the second, oh-so-disappointingly bare-bones, batch came along I realized that its being accorded a Special Edition (whereas SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, amazingly, was not!) meant that CREATURE must have something going for it – and I wasn’t disappointed, plus I got it cheaper due to the re-pricing!

Going through the posts in this thread, I am stunned that many of you have let these marvelous discs pass by. I know the prints can make do with some further restoration, but how can you be sure that this is going to happen, ever? The DVD supplements include some wonderful Documentaries and informative Audio Commentaries (especially as they shed some light on several early treatments/drafts of the various scripts, as well as missing footage/deleted scenes from at least 5 of the 9 films, if you include ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN).

Of the second batch, the ones I didn’t buy were only WEREWOLF OF LONDON/SHE-WOLF OF LONDON (I had always wanted to watch the former but, if you choose to ignore the latter, makes the cost price of some $25 for a bare-bones WEREWOLF alone a bit steep!), the lackluster coupling of THE MUMMY’S GHOST/THE MUMMY’S CURSE and the second Universal Abbott & Costello release (also devoid of any substantial supplements), ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY. I know that a few of them deserved a Special Edition DVD by themselves but, having waited ages to be able to watch films like SON OF FRANKENSTEIN and THE MUMMY’S HAND, I just wasn’t prepared to wait any longer! So, now that they’re being discontinued, I just had to get hold of a copy of WEREWOLF OF LONDON/SHE-WOLF OF LONDON before it disappears, perhaps forever!

I was also disappointed, obviously, that HOUSE OF DRACULA (another one I had never watched before) was left out instead of being paired with HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN…but, all things considered, I guess that if we the customers/horror film buffs do not bother to buy these discs once they’re out, how do we expect the studios to release more of the same in the future?! Another recent example has been Warner’s no-frills release of Hammer Films’ THE MUMMY (1959), Warner having made it a point that DVD editions of THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA and other horror titles in their catalog would only be forthcoming if sales guaranteed a profit!

While some of the Double Features themselves are, at best, second-rate (THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE MUMMY’S TOMB and HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN in particular), they are all a lot of fun and can be enjoyed over and over. The plots may leave a lot to be desired, but the atmospheric (i.e. studio-bound) productions and the always reliable cast members pay dividends every time.

I need to put a word in also for another splendid Universal film (though released on DVD by Kino), namely James Whale’s THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932) and, incidentally, my all-time favorite film. I believe it is the only other Universal horror talkie available on DVD, so for those of you who want to snap up these classic chillers while you still can, and who still don’t own this fantastic film, now is the time to do it!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I can confirm that Link Removed lists these as out-of-print.
If you click on the link above, you'll go to Image's site. Choose the "Advanced Search" function in the upper right area. At the resulting form, leave "Title" blank, and change "Status" to DISCONTINUED. Now look downward, and below the larger "Screen Formats" block you will see a field for "Studio". Choose Universal near the bottom of the pull-down list. Now click the [Submit Query] button.
You'll see 4 screens of 79 titles.
Every one of the titles that Kyle McKnight listed in the 6th post of this thread are shown as discontinued now. They didn't used to be when this thread started!
So, it's happened. They are now on moratorium. Sigh.
By-the-way, it's true that the Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein film listed in the post after Kyle's is NOT on the discontinued list. It is still active.
I will try to dig up some copies of these puppies post-haste! With my luck it will be marked down and re-offered. OTOH, why take chances?
What kills me is that I work less than 2 miles away from the Universal Home Video distro center(which was outsourced first to Panasonic, now to Technicolor! :confused: ). They probably are sitting on stacks of 'em! :frowning:
EDIT: Well, I *think* I just successfully placed an order for the 8-disc box set with Amazon. They say "ships in 24 hours", but of course this early in the day it hasn't been processed yet. To get the free shipping I had to mark it super-saver super-slow shipping, so if they CAN fill the order then I won't receive it until the end of the month. But's that's better than waiting...for nothing! :D

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Crap! Like many others that have posted here, I too needed "The Creature From The Black Lagoon" and "The Invisible Man"
Maybe they'll bring them back in a bit *WITH* a better price!

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I have a thread listed in the trade section if anyone is interested. I have sealed copies of Frankenstein, Dracula, and a previously viewed copy of Creature from the Black Lagoon.

GaryCo

Agent
I got back from Best Buy a little bit ago and found a lot of the monster series. I don't remember seeing them before, though i usually don't look in that section.

Picked up Dracula, Creature from BL, Bride of Frank.,Wolf man, and the Mummy.

the had a few of the double features. The price was $20 for the singles and between $26-28 for the doubles

I would check it out, I still need a few of the first series.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I had checked out Best Buy as well; no dice for the 8-pack and most of the good singles sold out, too.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, it sounds like they're waiting for a Halloween re-release to me at a lower MSRP.
This is sheer speculation, but it makes sense in my head at least. :)
I can guarantee that there is NO WAY they'd put these (especially the first-wave special editions of the all-time horror greats) OOP forever, or even a year for that matter.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
My wife, who is always skeptical about these things, says she will have the definitive word by Monday on what's going on (she works at Universal Home Video) In the mean time, I picked up the the final three Double Features at Tower, which is the only place I could find them (I looked at Best Buy and Fry's)Tower had only one copy of each of the ones I needed. I am not going to open them anytime soon, as I may be able to get them through Columbia House or the Universal Studio store. Damn, expensive discs at $30 a piece! Did Universal ever come out with a box for the double features?

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I hope it is just a re-price. They have been way over-priced to begin with, and that is why I have not bought any of them. I'd gladly buy ALL of them if they a MSRP of $19.99 (in other words so I could get them for $12-$15 each).
Why is they over-priced? I SURLY prefer paying their original price over a new hollywood brain dead shit movie:D

GaryCo

Agent
I found the last three i needed of the singles at a local store. 2 of them were were in the used bin for $15 each anf the last was new marked at $20.

The had others in stock as new for $25, why the last one i needed was at $20, i don't know , but i was happy.

If someone wants me to pick some up for them i will be happy to the cost was $24.99 apiece plus fla sales tax and shipping they only had single titles. FYI, all of there discs are opened and the DVD's stored in cd cases to prevent theft. I have bought mmany from this retailer and never had a problem.

email me if interested, just trying to help someone fill out their sub collection.

Sarah S

Second Unit
I couldn't find this on the Columbia House website.
You need to put in 5ADD in the the box where it asks for codes. Check out www.dvdtalk.com in the club section (which is devoted almost entirely to CH). The only main drawback (for me, anyway) is that only the singles are available through them; they don't have any of the double features, which is what I will have to find now. :frowning:

Craig W

Second Unit
Mattias_ka,

I think the point is that Universal could have sold more of these discs if they had been priced more reasonably. I bought some of the early release, but for short movies and slightly above average documentaries MSRPs of $29.99 were a little high.

Craig

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Well, I have some bad news,and then I have some more bad news. First I'll confirm what you already know. The Universal Classic Monsters are officially out of print. What the stores have stocked now are all that is left. The rest of the bad news is that I am not allowed to say any more than that. Sorry :b

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Nope, Dan...to me that translates to "if you miss 'em, don't worry. You will see them again...sooner than you think and cheap enough, all right". :)
I'm still gonna depend on Amazon to ship me that 8-pack, though. It still is at a "Not Yet Shipped" status, but if it turns out to never ship then I will rest easier in the belief that they will probably appear again.
But, since my price will be $109.99 shipped for the entire set of 8, that comes to $13.75 each, which I can easily live with no matter what else happens.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the Columbia House code Sarah...

I went ahead and signed up for:

Dracula

The Mummy The Wolf Man

Frankenstein

The Bride of Frankenstein

The Invisible Man

Creature From the Black Lagoon

which, from what I could tell were all of the "single features" other than "Phantom of the Opera". (which was available, but was one more title than available for my enrollment.

Hopefully they don't send me one and tell me that the other seven ar "out of stock". :) If so, I'll just cancel.

I'd like to have these titles in my collection, and for $4 something each- and the prospect of these titles being unavailable for, possibly, years- I had to give it a whirl.

I may or may not look into getting some of the double features, but probably not at the current prices... Some titles are better than none I guess...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just ordered the 8-disc box set from amazon.com.
Except for Frankenstein and The Invisible Man, I have yet to see all of the films featured in the box set, so this ought to be a fun movie premire time for me.
I ordered with it, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, My Man Godfrey (Criterion Collection...my first one!), Circus (Chaplin), and the soundtrack for Lawrence of Arabia.
Looks like I won't be buying any more DVD's until June... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks