What's new

Universal Classic Monster Discs Withrdawn?! (1 Viewer)

James Alexis

Agent
I read on another forum that the Universal Classic Monsters discs are to be withdrawn on 18th March.

Anyone know anyomre about this?

I had better buy them quick.

I'm hoping that maybe they will be re-promoted (at a cheaper price) at some later stage.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I hope this isn't true. I still haven't purchased the double features that came out last year, but I will ASAP if this is the case.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Sweet Lord *multiple expletives deleted* this better not be true.
If it is, I have to buy them, which means big money loss, which leads to the no money, which leads to those loan guys, and bad things happen. Argh.
Hopefully its not true, or better yet like you say, they get reduced in price for a re-promotion :)

StevenA

Second Unit
Same here, I'm in big financial trouble if this is true. I haven't bought a single one yet but they've been on my must buy list since they came out! :frowning:

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I hope it is just a re-price. They have been way over-priced to begin with, and that is why I have not bought any of them. I'd gladly buy ALL of them if they a MSRP of $19.99 (in other words so I could get them for $12-$15 each).
Also, does anybody have a complete listing of all of these titles? Thanks.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
From mhvf.net

Today I received the following advisory from a friend who works in a video store:

Please note that effective March 18th, the following Universal DVD product will be placed on moratorium:

* Bride of Frankenstein (20632)

* Creature from the Black Lagoon (20760)

* Dracula (20324)

* Frankenstein (20325)

* The Invisible Man (20766)

* The Mummy (1932) (20327)

* Phantom of the Opera (1943) (20767)

* The Wolf Man (20331)

* Classic Monsters: The Definitive Collection (21467)

* The Classic Monster Collection (20786)

* Dracula's Daughter/Son of Dracula Double Feature (21398)

* The Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein Double Feature

(21404)

* Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman/House of Frankenstein Double Feature

(21401)

* The Mummy's Ghost/The Mummy's Curse Double Feature (21405)

* The Mummy's Hand/The Mummy's Tomb Double Feature (21407)

* Werewolf of London/She-Wolf of London Double Feature (21410)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Quote:

Also, does anybody have a complete listing of all of these titles?

Dracula
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
The Wolfman
The Invisible Man
The Phantom of the Opera
Creature from the black lagoon
The Mummy
The Mummy's Hand/The Mummy's Tomb
The Mummy's Ghost/The Mummy's Curse
Werewolf of London/ Shewolf of London
The Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein
Frankenstein meets the Wolfman/House of Frankenstein
Dracula's Daughter/Son of Dracula
Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein

Although technically the Abbott & Costello flick isn't part of the collection, even though it should be.

Todd

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I read on another forum that the Universal Classic Monsters discs are to be withdrawn on 18th March.
Maybe this means that they're getting set to launch another round. I really want Revenge of the Creature , The Creature walks among us , and House of Dracula , not to mention the other invisible man movies.
Todd

Julie K

Screenwriter
Damn, I've got to get Creature from the Black Lagoon right now like. Would these folks who make the decisions to pull discs kindly send me money to cover these must-have purchases?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'll probably get the 8-disc set with Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, The Phantom of the Opera, Creature From The Black Lagoon, and The Bride of Frankenstein.

I don't really want Phantom or The Wolf Man, but the box set is cheaper than getting 6 of the discs separately.

$120 for 9 movies (counting the spanish version of Dracula) is a great kill...no pun intended.

Is this fact or a rumor, though?

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
That box set is very nice. My g/f bought it for me when it came out.

I still have to get those double features thogh.

Also Abbott and costello meet the monsters and the mummy are very nice DVDs.

M

MaxY

Just wanted to note that as Randy pointed out, there are two A&C Monster DVDs out.

A&C Meet the Frankenstien

A&C meet The Mummy

Still hoping for the other one which I think was

A&C Meet The Invisible Man.

Max

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd like the double features, but they might as well pull them as expensive as they are.

Still, I like the series. I just pray the next round will include the Incredible Shrinking Man, the Creature sequels, and the Invisible Man sequels. Particulary Shrinking.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Damn.

Why can't we find these things out sooner? Now I'm going to have to run out and go broke buying the box set. Crap!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Where's the smiley with sucker written on his forehead?
Oh well, last week I was scrounging around for a new copy of Beauty and the Beast to replace the one I sold over the summer. Criterion seems to have wiped from the planet except from a few Borders locations. Yesterday, I caught up on some of the backlog and ordered a bunch from DVD Planet. Well, if Ken Crane is a real person he's about to go out for another nice dinner tonight. ;) I just picked up the 2 A&C plus the double feature discs to fill out the collection just in case they are gone forever.
That was about $176 so I guess if you need the set too it will run about $300 total. I'll likely keep them sealed for a month just in case a price change is in order. I can always dump them on ebay before folks hear of a re-release. :)
We really need some sort of warning system or at least bring back the image-entertainment discontinuation press releases.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
off topic, I saw that a&c meet the invisable man on amc a couple of months back, I don't think it is on DVD yet.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey, is it JUST me, or did the Lugosi "Dracula" look pretty lame? I mean, I KNOW it's old but the spanish version looks MUCH better! Surely they could have done SOME kinda restoration or search for a better print! I mean, this IS a Classic!!!!
Maybe they'll have a "Deluxe" Yada, Yada....
:) D

Brian E

Screenwriter
Didn't the double feature discs just come out less than a year ago? Man stuff doesn't stick around very long. I still need 7 more discs and since I just bought a new Receiver, Speakers & Sub there is no way I'll be getting these right now. Hope this is just a reprice type of thing, they did one for the original releases, but never did one for the second run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks