What's new

Universal 'Chuck & Larry' on Nov. 6th (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Universal has set the date for the release of 'I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry' for November 6th.

Not sure it warrants a TrueHD track, but what the heck. And yes, it is a Combo Disk, and we pretty much know who likes 'em and who don't.:D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't get the "not sure it warrants _____" thing; if you've got the space on the disc and encoding it doesn't take a whole lot of extra human effort, there's no reason not to provide it, whether the _____ be lossless audio or anything else.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I suppose I should have stated what I meant a little clearer. When Universal release a low brow (but funny) comedy like this with a TrueHD track, but Bourne Identity only get a Dolby + track, you got to wonder who is making these choices. A movie like Chuck will gain little from the lossless track, whereas a movie like Bourne screams out for lossless.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but comedies tend to be shorter than tentpole action movies. I suspect they're trying to get TrueHD on everything they can, and that it's less a question of "merit" than resources.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Any time the studio puts a lossless track on an HD disc, I'm going to give them as much kudos as I can.;)

Paul

Edit: But not at the expense of the video quality.:rolleyes

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
If the space is there and not needed for video quality, why not use it for lossless?

Paul

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Honestly those that don't demand it are IMHO asking the studios to conform to the lowest common denominator.

Lossless is considered the best, they need to offer it. It's HD video and audio.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If an above average movie collector can't tell the passing difference between the two in a movie that doesnt have a significant audio presence (ie a comedy) I dont see what the big deal is. If this were an action adventure I'd be right there with you.

I have DVD-A, SACD, HD DVD and BluRay. And there are titles that DEMAND the highest quality on each of them. And there are lesser titles where average quality at best does the job. Theres a reason why the market for superior audio disks are so tiny and iPods are so huge. Just my opinion, but pick your battles.... Push for it where it makes sense.

Sam

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Acceptance of mediocrity is IMHO unacceptable. It's what has lead our country into several issues we currently face.

Pan and Scan is a perfect example.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew

Alot of you guys like to pick on mp3s.

It's not quality, its portability. You tell me you can hear a difference of 128 kbps on ear phones, and an uncompressed advanced audio disc on crappy little ear phones.

The only time it makes a difference is when you play it on a home theater system, or you have some kick ass car speakers.

I ALWAYS must own a CD, but mp3 players just have mad versatiltiy, so I dont' know why you guys pick on them for having lower bit rates. It's a fact, but I dont' think that it matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks