Universal CEs and DTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_S, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I've noticed that many titles from Universals Collectors series are also available as barebones DTS titles, the three specifically I'm looking at are "Out of Sight", " 12 Monkeys", and "Apollo 13" and I'm sure there are others. I have two Universal CEs "Animal House" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" both have outstanding documentaries, and I noticed that most of the CE versions of the above have documentaries as well (I've heard the Hamster Factor described as the best dvd extra ever). So I'm wondering, are the DTS versions full bit rate? Is the soundtrack quality worth purchasing them? Or are both so good that i shoud just bite the bullet and order both from columbia house and combine them into one package? Are any of these going to be ultimate editions? And what other CE's also have separate DTS releases? Also do any of these have higher quality video transfers (ala dances with wolves) because of the extra space afforded from no extras? Finally is Universal still producing under teh collectors edition line? seemed like they had an excellent thing going.

Thanks,

Adam

2. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I can vouch for Apollo 13 DTS.. it has an outstanding quality full bit rate DTS track. As far as a trade off, it's up to you which you prefer, the extras, or the high quality audio. IMHO, the difference between the DD track (~384k I believe) and the DTS track (~1500k) is pretty dramatic.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I found the difference between Apollo 13's 448kbps Dolby Digital and 1509kbps DTS soundtracks to be pretty small. Given the exceptional extras present on most of Universal's early Collector's Editions (their recent CEs pale in comparison) I would definitely get the loaded Dolby Digital versions if I could choose only one.

If you really like the films, you could pick up both, but in most cases (Apollo 13, 12 Monkeys, Dante's Peak, Daylight) there are very minor differences in sound quality, but major losses of quality supplemental material.

Adam

4. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

I can't really comment on Apollo 13, but with 12 Monkeys I can confidently say that the extras-loaded CE is a MUCH better purchase than the DTS version. The difference in sound quality is negligible, and the Hamster Factor documentary definitely tips the scales in favor of the CE. As far as a potential Ultimate Edition, one was supposedly in the works, but I haven't heard anything about it since it was first announced.

5. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Adam, I was not sure if Apollo 13 had a 448k DD track or not [​IMG] Thanks for clearing that up.
    Still, I found the DTS to be superior to the DD (my friend has the DD version), but again, it's a judgment call on weather the difference in the quality of the audio tracks (which may be large or small depending upon who is listening and what system they are listening on) is more important to you then the extra supplementary material.
    Here is a link to DVD file's review of both editions, which makes for some interesting reading on this subject:
    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ollo13_dts.htm