Universal CD/DVD Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Simon Ngan, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently using a CD Changer for music listening and I've been thinking of getting a single disc player. However, I'm not sure if I should pick up a universal player such as Lexicon RT-10? So far I'm interested in the Primare D30.2 as I just upgraded my pre/pro to Primare P31.7.

What do you think, thanks.

Simon

2. DavidDon

DavidDon Stunt Coordinator

I am in the same boat.

Just got the Lex and it's OK. It replaced a Theta Carmen II. The Theta had a slightly nicer picture and I believe a quieter sound. But...Having the ability to buy any disk is great. The RT-10 really does sound nice in general. My wife cannot tell the difference in image quality...I am not that certain either anymore...it seems like it has been better recently than it was when I first got it. Do these things have a break-in period?

The Primare, Lexicon, and Theta all share the same platform...I think. I do not believe that bears any relevance regarding their individual performance though.

The Primare looks like it would be really good. I too am interested in it. As far as I know it is not yet available. Integra Research supposedly has just announced a new $4000 universal player sporting a DVI output.

The DVI question is one I am curious about too.

Lots of talk without saying much I know...it is a tough decision. I'd like to know how you go about it.

3. DavidDon

4. DavidDon

5. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i would encourage you guys to check out the esoteric DV50. its a universal with LOADS of features, built like a tank, and has GREAT audio and video performance.

it beats out the denon 5900 in video and holds its own with the faroudja dvd player. its audio is right up too. its tough to find, many places dont carry it though, limited distribution. im a dealer if you need more info on it. there is also a nice write-up in stereophile a few months back.

6. DavidDon

Indeed the DV-50 seems to set the standard right now. Is it upgradeable at all?

Even though there does not seem to be any processors yet available to accept a multi-channel digital connection, it would be nice to see this as an upgrade option on the new players coming out. And DVI as well.

Robert, what are you selling the DV-50 for? I have only seen it for sale at Music Direct:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...?sku=AESOTDV50

Sometimes one comes up at AudiogoN now and then.